What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay over VPN outside LAN.

Oscar92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm having a problem finding my AirPlay speakers when connected to my home network through VPN from another network. I am using D Link DIR 890l and set up a QuickVPN. I can access my router through it's local ip adress 192.168.0.1 but my Ipad 2 won't show as a local connected device in the routers client list even though it has received an ip adress from my DIR 890l.

Thanks for any help!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe for AirPlay to work, they need to be on the same network, in other words both the iPad and AirPlay device would need to be on the same subnet, getting their ip allocated from the same DHCP server.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to stop using VPN on your iPad while you're connected to your AirPlay speakers. You can use it again when you're ready to go online.

OP
O

Oscar92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have to use the VPN to connect to my home network when I'm not home (f.ex. Connecting to home network over 3G/4G). I do receive an IP-adress from the DHCP-server in the router which belongs to the home network through VPN.

OP
O

Oscar92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The AirPlay speakers are not in the same LAN network as my iPad 2 is connected to. I have set up a VPN server in the home network the AirPlay speakers are connected to. My iPad is a VPN client to this VPN server (remotely ).

Thanks for replies :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe iOS and OS X uses Bonjour (or some other apply protocol) to discover AirPlay speakers. You're VPN software many need to enable some extra ports or protocols beyond the normals ones. Exactly what those should be and how you do it, I have no idea. But it should be researchable.

Most reactions

Latest posts