What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epub reader

Hoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings all.
I've recently purchased an iPad 3 (full disclosure; I've been using Android phones and tablets for about as long as there have been Android phones and tablets :) ). So for I'm basically pleased with the device, the screen of course is gorgeous, and of the applications that I use regularly, they have a more pleasing design on the iPad than they do on Android.

However there is one point where it falls short compared to what I'm used to (Aldiko reader, for those who are familiar with it) which is it's ability to manage a large library of Epub books. I have just under 1000 books that I've loaded on to the tablet. The iBooks app however has very poor library skills (one man's opinion). Since I primarily use the tablet as a reader, this is an issue for me.

I'm looking for a reader that does the following (in order of importance);

1) A way to indicate that a book has been read (or not read). This is a must have for me, I read 2 or 3 books a week on average, it's hard for me to keep up with what I've read just by the title, especially in a series. Often I don't remember where I left off in a series (I rarely finish a long series. I get 'bored' with it and move on to something else and come back later).

2) The ability to read the 'back of the book' to get a synopsis about the story. I know that data is in the epub for some of my books, but Ibooks won't show it to me.

3) A 'recent reads' or 'currently reading' section. In Aldiko I'd queue up books that I'm interested in simply by opening them, which would put them in a 'recent reads' area. Then when I'm finished with one book I'd first look there to see if there is anything that strikes my fancy.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks

BKA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've set up a couple of collections - new, read, to be read etc. you can move books to any collection.

OP
H

Hoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks BKA, I was looking at using collections. At first it threw me off a bit that putting a book in a collection left it in the main group (the first thing I'd thought of was a 'read' collection to get those out of my way). It later occurred to me that I could do it the other way and have an 'unread' collection. Your idea of a 'read me next' collection is a good one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts