What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

file sharing on Itunes after IOS 17 update no longer shows any files!

Farmani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
after updating my ipad pro 12.9 5th gen to IOS 17.2 no longer can see documents folders anything in itunes file sharing or third party apps even "sync over WiFi" option the same thing! even cant see files and folders in on my ipad or files app! ,is there anything to do alot of documents has been stuck inside my ipad.
Tried different PC the same thing the problem in my ipad and most probably iOS 17.
IMG_20240113_203455_edit_18943022073671.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
it's been forever since I used iTunes for anything, let alone file transfer. I'm not even certain how it works anymore. For instance, does it only show local iPad folders for sharing, or do the iCloud folder show up?

At any rate, I would not continue to depend on it. It is largely a legacy method of transferig fliles, and Apple could abandon it altogether at any time.

That said, here are a few alternatives. The first two will work with local iPad folders. The other's will only work if you are using iCloud Storage.

I see you have PDF Expert. I use Documents, which is a super set of PDF expert. One of he options under Connections (in the left bar in the app) is Computer. It you chose that it will walk you through connecting to your computer through a browser; provided it is on the same wi-fi network. You can then use the computer to transfer files to/from Documents.

Many document type apps have this option.

You can also connect to your computer in the Files app. Tap on the three dot (...) menu at the top left of the Files menu bar. Chose Connect to Server. On my Mac all I have to do is go to the computer's wi-fi setting, find out what the IP address is, and use that. Then use your computer's username and password to log in. What ever files/folder you've set up to share on the computer and now available in Files on the iPad. I find the persistence of this connection unpredictable. You may have to re-connect occasionally. And since computer IP addresses on a local network can change, you may have to look it up again, now and then.

If you are using iCloud storage, you can access that on your computer. On a Mac, you just have to be signed in to your Apple account on the computer, and iCloud wills how up automatically in the Finder. In Windows you'll have to install iCloud support. Most apps either store their files in iCloud by default, or have the option to do so. PDF Expert is one that has both local and iCloud storage folder.

If you wan't files to be generally available on both your computer and iPad, this is the least hassle, though you may have to up your iCloud storage tier.

Finally, provided you are using iCloud storage on the iPad you can access your files by going to iCloud.com in your computer's browser. This is handy if you find you need to grab a file wile using someone else's computer. You can also check your mail, look at your photos, edit Notes, and use Apple's other productivity apps. Just be sure to log out when you are done.

If you have details on what exactly you are trying to do, I, or other's may have more specific suggestions on how you can manage your files.

OP
F

Farmani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's been forever since I used iTunes for anything, let alone file transfer. I'm not even certain how it works anymore. For instance, does it only show local iPad folders for sharing, or do the iCloud folder show up?

At any rate, I would not continue to depend on it. It is largely a legacy method of transferig fliles, and Apple could abandon it altogether at any time.

That said, here are a few alternatives. The first two will work with local iPad folders. The other's will only work if you are using iCloud Storage.

I see you have PDF Expert. I use Documents, which is a super set of PDF expert. One of he options under Connections (in the left bar in the app) is Computer. It you chose that it will walk you through connecting to your computer through a browser; provided it is on the same wi-fi network. You can then use the computer to transfer files to/from Documents.

Many document type apps have this option.

You can also connect to your computer in the Files app. Tap on the three dot (...) menu at the top left of the Files menu bar. Chose Connect to Server. On my Mac all I have to do is go to the computer's wi-fi setting, find out what the IP address is, and use that. Then use your computer's username and password to log in. What ever files/folder you've set up to share on the computer and now available in Files on the iPad. I find the persistence of this connection unpredictable. You may have to re-connect occasionally. And since computer IP addresses on a local network can change, you may have to look it up again, now and then.

If you are using iCloud storage, you can access that on your computer. On a Mac, you just have to be signed in to your Apple account on the computer, and iCloud wills how up automatically in the Finder. In Windows you'll have to install iCloud support. Most apps either store their files in iCloud by default, or have the option to do so. PDF Expert is one that has both local and iCloud storage folder.

If you wan't files to be generally available on both your computer and iPad, this is the least hassle, though you may have to up your iCloud storage tier.

Finally, provided you are using iCloud storage on the iPad you can access your files by going to iCloud.com in your computer's browser. This is handy if you find you need to grab a file wile using someone else's computer. You can also check your mail, look at your photos, edit Notes, and use Apple's other productivity apps. Just be sure to log out when you are done.

If you have details on what exactly you are trying to do, I, or other's may have more specific suggestions on how you can manage your files.
Dear Iam not using Icloud just local folder inside apps or itunes folder of that app!
Surprisingly files app or on my ipad folder not showing any files or folders in the itunes !!!!!.

I just want to know everyone after 17.2 has same issue or how to resolve lt?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A search result in Apple's community pages suggests it's a known issue.

Normally connecting my iPad or iPhone to my Macbook with a cable will cause it to show up in the Finder sidebar on the Macbook. That is not happening. So, it's probably more than just the iTunes app that's having proglems. That said, if you haven't already done so, make sure iTunes is up to date.

Most likely we are waiting for a bug fix. I can't fine much more than that when searching for the issue on the web.

In the mean time, if you need to move files between the iPad and your MacBook, the Files app solution I mentioned above should work. If you need detailed instruction on how to do this, let me know.

That's all the help I have to offer. I used to know iTunes inside out, but that's more than 10 years in the past.

It's possible someone else here is still using iTunes to sync/copy files to their iPad. Hopefully they see your post, have a solution, and help out.

Most reactions

Latest posts