What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Images saved to drive

Hillstroller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I have downloaded photos from within an email and saved them to my iPad 3 Drive. I have searched for them amongst my photos but they aren't lurking there.
Where are they to be found?
Thanks to helpful responders.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you select and save those images from within the Mail app, by viewing then saving them, or tap-holding and saving They wont' save automatically just because you opened the email.

If you did, you should find them in All Photos or the Camera Roll album in the Photos app.

OP
H

Hillstroller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was a JPEG image contained within an email that I opened on my iPad 3.
When I d/loaded it, a long black rectangle appeared at the bottom of the screen bearing letters in white saying "saving to drive". On completion the lettering changed to "saved to drive" but there is no sign of it in either All Photos or Camera Roll.
I thank you for your reply and hope this proves a bit more helpful.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you open the email in the built in Mail app, it should say something different than "Saved to Drive". Did you open an email in the Gmail app? Then you should find it in Google Drive.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When tapping and holding the picture attached to an email, you get the following dialog below. To save to the Camera Roll, you need to tap the circled option. It does sound like you may have selected an option to save to a cloud storage service, depending on which app you have installed. As suggested it may be Google Drive, although it would usually open the app to do the transfer.

I think it is possible you may have a third party mail app like Gmail that could have Google Drive integration.
ad8857f08ad431361a0ed59f9c4b4774.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It was a JPEG image contained within an email that I opened on my iPad 3.
When I d/loaded it, a long black rectangle appeared at the bottom of the screen bearing letters in white saying "saving to drive". On completion the lettering changed to "saved to drive" but there is no sign of it in either All Photos or Camera Roll.
I thank you for your reply and hope this proves a bit more helpful.

That is not typical behavior for the Mail app. If an image has not finished downloading to the Mail app, you'll see and icon with a gray outline. When it is downloaded you'll either see the image inline with the email, or the same icon with the file name and size under (again in grey). That only downloads it into the Mail app. It does not save it permanently on the iPad.

To save it in the the Photos app, follow dhewson777's instructions.

If you are using an app other than Mail, then the behavior is probably different. It may not be saving the email to the iPad at all, and probably isn't; however it should be possible to save the image (once it finishes downloading) the Photos app in a way similar to the Mail app. The exact gesture and menu items may differ.

OP
H

Hillstroller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies for this delayed reply, fellows. I have followed all your advice but cannot find any sign of the beggars.
I think we should now retire gracefully and move on to enjoy the sunshine!
Many thanks for your suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts