What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5, iCloud, iWorks and the office...

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I realized after installing iOS5 on my iPad and iPhone that my iWorks apps (Pages and Numbers) are backing on iCloud any document I create on my iDevices. More than that, iCloud will sync those documents between my devices...

Then it hit me: that means that I can create a spreadsheet in Numbers to track my tasks or todo list and that list would be updated on my iPad and iPhone automatically.

There are tons of todo apps or project management apps in the app store. But a spreadsheet often does a quicker and better job for stuff that you don't need a multi-user access.

So with this new feature:
- I can manage my tasks
- I can update my project time spreadsheet
- I can have a document to keep notes and comments
- I can manage my expenses
- etc...

Fully customizable, easy to share or send a copy to someone else and available on my iPad and iPhone. If I had a Mac, it would also be available on it... No worries about forgetting a copy, or not having access when network is not available...

Cost me 20$ for Pages and Numbers. It's worth it considering I no longer have find the perfect apps for my professional life. iWorks is now perfect!

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like the way you are thinking. I'll probably stick with Reminders and Calendar for the task and schedule, and Evernote for note taking, but there are other, almost endless, possibilities.

If you add an iWorks.com account (free last time I checked) you can also publish and share your documents as needed.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
I like the way you are thinking. I'll probably stick with Reminders and Calendar for the task and schedule, and Evernote for note taking, but there are other, almost endless, possibilities.

If you add an iWorks.com account (free last time I checked) you can also publish and share your documents as needed.

Yes, it is free. And with the new 50gigs from from Box.net for free, it's even easier as Pages/Numbers can access that service easily via WebDAV.

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Box.net has WebDAV? Darn! I saw the free 50GB deal, but passed up on it because I could find no mention of WebDAV services.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is free. And with the new 50gigs from from Box.net for free, it's even easier as Pages/Numbers can access that service easily via WebDAV.

VicoPad addict!

How do you set up WebDavNet on the iPad to access Box.Net? And can you do the same with Dropbox? I only know very little about this stuff, but I was able, following instructions, to configure WebDavNet to access one other service from my iPad.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
Box.net has WebDAV? Darn! I saw the free 50GB deal, but passed up on it because I could find no mention of WebDAV services.

Yes, WebDAV is available. The URL is http://box.net/dav. In Ubuntu, I added a shortcut using dav://box.net/dav and I can access my files as they were local. Only limitation is files no larger than 100MB but that's good enough.

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Yarrenbool said:
How do you set up WebDavNet on the iPad to access Box.Net? And can you do the same with Dropbox? I only know very little about this stuff, but I was able, following instructions, to configure WebDavNet to access one other service from my iPad.

There is a native app for Box.net. But to use it with other apps, the URL is http://box.net/dav

Have fun!

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sweet!

It looked like the 50GB offer was over, but I singed up for the 5GB personal account anyway (after all, I probably don't need more than that). Sure enough it showed that I had 5Gb of space. Then I downloaded the box.net app to the iPad. As soon as I logged in it said 'welcome to your new lifetime 50GB account'. Refreshed the desktop browser screen, and yes, I have 50GB. No local folder syncing unless you have a business account though, so not as convenient to use with the computer. Browser access only.

Now, off to test the WebDav features. Even with only 5GB, this is going to make a pretty good replacement for the old free DropBox DropDAV combination.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow, Box.net is getting slammed in their reviews; for a lack of a free desktop client. People expect a lot these days for free.

On the Mac you can use the Connect to Server option under the Go menu to access the account just like any other (very slow) hard drive. I'm sure there is a Windows equivalent. Not as nice as local syncing, but still, it's free.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, Box.net is getting slammed in their reviews; for a lack of a free desktop client. People expect a lot these days for free.

On the Mac you can use the Connect to Server option under the Go menu to access the account just like any other (very slow) hard drive. I'm sure there is a Windows equivalent. Not as nice as local syncing, but still, it's free.

I tried connecting to Box.net using the Connect to Server option under Lion and it worked. But it takes too much time to access the folder. I don't know why. If only iCloud also worked with the iWork desktop applications, then that would really be something. Right now, I'm using a workaround. I create the documents (pages, numbers) on my Mac, then save it to a Dropbox synced folder. Then I use the Dropbox app on my iPad and open the file using the "open with" function and open the document in the Pages or Numbers app. If I made some alterations on the file using my iPad, I manually download the file from iCloud.com and overwrite the existing one on the folder on my Mac.

It's driving me insane! If anyone has an easier solution please tell me...

Most reactions

Latest posts