What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going back to basics

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was so sure I had answered, then I realised there was a page two. (sorry lol)
But will look into it again later today. Will probably try doing it on my desktop, tho havent found out how to backup iPad as yet.

Hi again - gave you the two options back in post #12, i.e. iTunes cabled to a computer and/or iCloud - I use both methods, then you can choose which route to do your iOS upgrade - some more information HERE - Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surely it wouldn't take more than 6 hours to back up on icloud when I havent really got much on it?

I downloaded Dashlane (a password Manager) but darned if I can find downloads. I am completely at ease with windows, but this is the first time I've had an apple device and its very frustrating trying to find things you know are - somewhere

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now showing 7 hours to backup

Hi again Judy - delayed my response hoping that others might 'chime in' w/ their suggestions - always nice to have different opinions.

Your backup time is excessive, so please respond to the following questions: 1) Is this your first backup; 2) What method are you using, i.e. iTunes on a computer and/or iCloud (as described in my previous link); 3) If doing an iTunes backup, what type of computer are you using & what OS (i.e. Mac OS X or Windows); and 4) If via the cloud, what type of Wi-Fi connection are you using?

First,initial iDevice backups will take longer and the time needed will also depend on what is on what is on your device; second, the speed of your network, i.e. wireless connection will have an affect; and finally, the Apple servers may be busy - who knows? Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It finished backing up about 3.30am! First backup. I used iCloud on iPad..Usually the speed of network is pretty good. Not sure what ou mean by WHAT wireless connection I am using?

Hope that answers all your questions. I do have 94 photos and a few short videos, but will transfer them to desktop computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It finished backing up about 3.30am! First backup. I used iCloud on iPad..Usually the speed of network is pretty good. Not sure what ou mean by WHAT wireless connection I am using?

Hope that answers all your questions. I do have 94 photos and a few short videos, but will transfer them to desktop computer.

Hi Judy - by 'wireless connection', I was referring to what speed you may have on your Wi-Fi network, i.e. if really slow, then would explain your slow backup time, just a part of the potential explanations given before - if you want to test your Wi-Fi connection, visit Speedtest and assess your speed - it's fun! I've been upgraded on my Time Warner ISP service and am getting 50 Mbps.

If you can backup to iTunes on your computer, then recommended as a second assurance - if then, you want to upgrade your iOS, your choices are via iTunes or iCloud (may have already given you a link?) - if not and still unsure, ask more questions. Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is getting harder and harder, apple is just soooo different. I have the iPad opened at general-iTune & App Store. It is connected to my desktop . So how do I backup on iTunes

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is getting harder and harder, apple is just soooo different. I have the iPad opened at general-iTune & App Store. It is connected to my desktop . So how do I backup on iTunes

Judy - I'm assuming that you are coming from the 'Windows Universe' - correct? Apple iOS is really a LOT simpler than Windows and OS X which is on my Mac computers.

First, tell us which desktop computer you are using w/ iTunes, i.e. is this a Windows PC or an Apple Mac? Second, which OS is running on your desktop computer whether a PC or Apple, be specific; also, which version of iTunes is installed on whatever computer you are using?

Finally, if you have plugged in your iPad to a USB port on your computer and opened iTunes, then selected the iPad device icon (upper left corner), the image below should appear (my screen capture on a MBPro running El Capitan) - see the arrows - I just did a backup to my laptop - simply a click of the icon - let me stop there for you to respond. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.32.03 AM.png

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned I was using desktop with Windows 7 Home
On the iPad - general- iTunes & App Store, there is no "about" so I cant tell you what version I am using. Nor on the desktop.
Finally, if you have plugged in your iPad to a USB port on your computer and opened iTunes, then selected the iPad device icon (upper left corner), the image below should appear (my screen capture on a MBPro running El Capitan) - see the arrows
I clicked on the icon upper left corner, and got this message "Cannot connect to iTunes store.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what you should see when going to Settings>General>About on your iPad.
image.png
image.jpeg

You'll notice that About is at the very top of the list after tapping on General in Settings.

The iTunes mentioned by giradman in his post is iTunes on your computer, not on the iPad.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Went into settings- general - about... and it just said Name - Judy's iPad (no Version)

Lower down, it DID say version - which is 8.2 (12D508) which I had mentioned on this thread earlier

Where are we up to now? lol

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Went into settings- general - about... and it just said Name - Judy's iPad (no Version)

Lower down, it DID say version - which is 8.2 (12D508) which I had mentioned on this thread earlier

The current iOS version is iOS 9.3.1.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Judy - as explained by Scifan.., the screen capture in my last post was iTunes opened on my laptop w/ my iPad Air 2 cabled via USB; the iTunes version can be discovered in the menu bar - iTunes on your Windows computer should offer the same information.

Also, in the screen capture mentioned, the iOS version on my device is 9.3.1, the current official release - in Scifan..'s images, he is showing 9.3.2 which is a 'beta' version - SO, if you plan to upgrade from 8.x to 9.x the current one is 9.3.1 - Dave :)

OOPS - beat me yet again! ;)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
David the attachment you showed on Msg 24 or was it 25, I cannot get up on y iPad. I would take a snapshot of what I CANget up if I knew how (on the iPad). Even tho I have connected iPad to desktop WIn 7, I can only get DCIM (photos) up.
I'm really sorry to take up your time. I am completely dumb with iPad, yet Windows doesn't trouble me one bit.
You said it was a good idea to upgrade to the new version, but despite everyone's help, I am not getting anywhere :(

Most reactions