What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo and photo stream

Nicozuna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the difference, can someone please explain it to me?

Thank you

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand the difference, can someone please explain it to me?

Thank you
photo stream works in iCloud,you can take a photo with any Apple device and it will appear on all your devices,you can choose which devices or who to share them with,hope that helps.

OP
N

Nicozuna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorta helps, but why do I have a few pics in my photos but not my photo stream?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorta helps, but why do I have a few pics in my photos but not my photo stream?
photo stream won't work if your devices are charged below 20% so make sure you have charged your devices,

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did, I still just trying to understand the differences.

'Photos' is the app on your i-device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) that acts as a central store for all your images on that device. So if you take pictures or videos with your iPad, they'll will be stored in Photos. If someone sends you an email with a picture attached and you choose to 'save to camera roll', it'll end up in 'Photos'. But the photos taken on that device, or saved to that device, stay on that device unless you sync or share them.

On the other hand, 'Photo Stream' is a service in iCloud that pushes the photos you take, out to all your i-devices that are connected to that iCloud account. For example, with Photo Stream enabled I can take photos on my iPhone and they just appear in my photo stream on my iPads and my Mac or PC. It isn't permanent cloud storage - it only holds the most recent 1000 photos, for example, and doesn't show videos at all. It's a convenient way of viewing your photos, and lets you download them to your device if you choose.

Worth noting that you can switch off Photo Stream on your i-device any time, and the photos you take from then on won't appear in your stream - even if you re-enable Photo Stream on that device later on. Similarly, if you have photos already taken on your device, when you enable Photo Stream these previous pictures won't appear in your stream, unless you specifically choose to send them.

Hope that helps!

Most reactions

Latest posts