What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rectify formula malfunctions

borryman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using ipad 2 for over a year and up to a few days ago, have had no problems with formulas in added Excel spreadsheets. Yesterday I added an updated Excel spreadsheet into Numbers as usual. When creating a COUNTA function for column A which had 503 (A2:A504) nonempty cells, instead of giving a result of 503, it gave a result of 1.
Can anyone help me on this problem

OP
B

borryman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not got the incorrect result showing now as I found an answer to the problem. i downloaded the spreadsheet with the formula already created and it worked ok. i realise that it isn't the real answer but it works for me.

OP
B

borryman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not got the incorrect result showing now as I found an answer to the problem. i downloaded the spreadsheet with the formula already created and it worked ok. i realise that it isn't the real answer but it works for me.
I have thought about your question and i remember what the function looked like thus: =COUNTA(A2:A504). But the function on the spreadsheet I downloaded last had the same but there was a small triangle to the right of A504 which when i touched it, a window came up for preserving rows on start and end but they were all turned off, if you understand all that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It means that instead of selecting a range of cells, you've selected the column. This is a nice feature that only works with some functions. When you use it, it automatically includes all non-header (or footer) cells in a column or row. The advantage is that if you expand the column or row, the new cells are automatically included without the need to adjust the formula.

To choose the column or row when creating a formula, you tap on the gray bar above or beside the column or row. I'm not sure what the options do (when you tapped on it). I've never fooled with them.

The formula must either be outside the column or row; or in a header or footer. Otherwise you'll get an error about it be self referential (or something like that).

Most reactions

Latest posts