What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A big ipod touch?

USERNAME_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the Ipad just a big ipod touch because that is what I see a lot of people referring to it as?

I have an ipod touch but am considering buying the new IPAD. Using the internet on my touch gets old as it is slow and very small screen. Is the internet on the new IPAD a lot better than the touch? I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Is the Ipad just a big ipod touch because that is what I see a lot of people referring to it as?

I have an ipod touch but am considering buying the new IPAD. Using the internet on my touch gets old as it is slow and very small screen. Is the internet on the new IPAD a lot better than the touch? I sure hope so.

What are you intending to use it for?

On the one hand, it'd be a chuffing catastrophe if you were looking to use it in your pocket / down the gym.

On the other hand, I've been using mine for games, video, internet, and a PhD thesis and it's been utterly kick-ass on all fronts. It's revolutionised the way I work.

What are you intending to use it for?

On the one hand, it'd be a chuffing catastrophe if you were looking to use it in your pocket / down the gym.

On the other hand, I've been using mine for games, video, internet, and a PhD thesis and it's been utterly kick-ass on all fronts. It's revolutionised the way I work.

Mostly internet, games, music, videos. My concern is I really do not enjoy using my touch for internet use, would I feel the same way with the ipad?

USERNAME_ said:

Yes,
Truth be told it is. However, the iTouch is easy and very beneficial to music and many games but tedious given it's size of screen for much of everything else.

The iPad is by far a huge improvement in form, fit and function over the iTouch. It obviously allows the use of apps otherwise either unavailable or near impossible to use on the touch. Overall pleasure, enjoyment and usability is unmatched with the iPad.

Internet performance: Obviously it is always directly related to your wifi source yet I find it as fast if not faster than the touch. But typically I am on a minimum of a 54mb connection. In town I also find the 3G to be fine as well. Big picture, surfing and everything else "internet" is much more enjoyable on the iPad.

Cheers

Mostly internet, games, music, videos. My concern is I really do not enjoy using my touch for internet use, would I feel the same way with the ipad?

The on screen keyboard is, obv, lots bigger. You can also get a hardware keyboard for the iPad - something that (IMO) is a major advantage over and above the iPod.

I find it far, far more user friendly. And have no difficulties on the iPad (where by choice I'd use my PC over my iPod). At the end of the day, it still isnt a full-on laptop, but with a stand and a keyboard it isn't far short.

Right, an iPad is certainly no laptop replacement but my daughter has a touch and my iPad 2 is certainly more enjoyable to use for surfing the net than that iPod.

With my ipod touch every time I change tabs the page reloads itself which is very annoying does this happen on the ipads?

USERNAME_ said:
With my ipod touch every time I change tabs the page reloads itself which is very annoying does this happen on the ipads?

I don't surf much with my iTouch now yet believe "Safari" functions the same on both devices etc

Yes.

Though not - I think - on 3rd party browsers? e.g. Atomic / Skyfire.

I own both, and for me the iPad is a big, more powerful iPod touch. Nothing wrong with that of course :)

But for Internet? Heck, the iPad, on pure speed alone, blows the touch out of the water. The touch is painfully slow for Internet. The iPad is blisteringly fast. As fast as being hard wired directly into the broadband router sometimes.

sjleworthy said:
I own both, and for me the iPad is a big, more powerful iPod touch. Nothing wrong with that of course :)

But for Internet? Heck, the iPad, on pure speed alone, blows the touch out of the water. The touch is painfully slow for Internet. The iPad is blisteringly fast. As fast as being hard wired directly into the broadband router sometimes.

OK, just got the iTouch out and did a bit of surfing.... "Blistering or blows it out of the water" are a bit overstated in my mind. Sitting her in my living room both iPad and touch on the same wireless router and 12-15mb connection. Both are near identical in speed - quite fast. Depending on your source, the iPad definitely holds a good connection where the touch is less robust.

Now, the iPad2 obviously has the upper hand given the processor so that is the second or "split/second" speed difference you could see given the same connection/hotspot etc..

Then again, the overall manipulation of the iPad screen and keyboard etc makes the internet a much faster experience to say the least.

Cheers

Well, my touch is old. First gen. Very slow on Internet. My ipad2, in my experience, really is that fast, super fast. Humungously fast. So fast it's rude. The 2 together really are chalk and cheese.

And my Internet conection is fast.

sjleworthy said:
Well, my touch is old. First gen. Very slow on Internet. My ipad2, in my experience, really is that fast, super fast. Humungously fast. So fast it's rude.

And my Internet conection is fast.

"So fast it's rude"

LOL - that's a great line. :):)

I'll bet there is quite a diff between the 1st gen touch and iPad2. I was basing my comments off a 4th gen touch.

Sorry if I came across as "rude".

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back