What's new

Bizarre autocomplete problems

EmilyD

iPF Noob
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Recently I've been having some odd problems with my iPad's autocomplete feature when I use the on-screen keyboard (on English and Spanish keyboard settings). Certain little words are expanded into longer words/names, like these:
El > Nelson
La > Nula
I > PIRAHA (just like that, in all caps)
It > Pit
In > Pin

Sometimes it alters correctly spelled words into others, such as fish > dish and were > we're.

If I type the first few letters of a long word (correctly), it sometimes autocompletes it as a misspelling, like "psycholignuistics" or "osycholing" for "psycholinguistics."

Worse, it's apparently decided that "thr" is a word and doesn't correct it to "the" as it should-- and it even sometimes changes "the" to "thr"! Same thing happens with "br" for "be."

Is there anything I can do about this, or do I just need to type more carefully?
 
I don't think there is anyone who does not have trouble with auto correct at times but as you have 2 keyboards I think this may be why you are having even more troubles. I have heard of a tip where you write words in your contacts that you use regularly as auto correct is somehow connected with this. I hope others will chime in with more suggestions for you.
 
I did manage to fix the "thr" problem by setting a shortcut (thr > the). And I also recently bought a bluetooth keyboard which doesn't autocorrect, so I won't rely as much on the onscreen keyboard.

Still, I'll try the contacts thing you suggested if these problems keep recurring-- but it seems to me that autocorrect eventually learns to stop "fixing" uncommon words and proper names, even though it still red-underlines them, so I don't have a lot of trouble with those.
 
in my experience it has just been a cas eof the more you type a word the more your device thinks you use that word, so just sit there and type out the failing words heaps and see if that changes anything
 
I tried that a while ago with "psycholinguistics" but the iPad never seemed to get the message.
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom