What's new

Email backup

  • Thread starter Thread starter Willster
  • Start date Start date
W

Willster

Guest
I want to change my Internet provider which means I’ll lose all my old emails. Is there an easy way to back them up. I can’t see a way on an iPad but I do also have an iMac. TIA.
 
I want to change my Internet provider which means I’ll lose all my old emails. Is there an easy way to back them up. I can’t see a way on an iPad but I do also have an iMac. TIA.
You need to go to the Mail App on your Mac - select the mailbox you want to backup - then go to Mailbox - then select Export Mailbox. You can then save the backup somewhere safe.
 
You need to go to the Mail App on your Mac - select the mailbox you want to backup - then go to Mailbox - then select Export Mailbox. You can then save the backup somewhere safe.
Thanks I’ll have a look.
 
I’m thinking of using iCloud as my main email in future, can you see any problems doing this? Im a bit fed up with my current broadband provider keep increasing their prices. I have Gmail and Outlook as well if needed.
 
I like iCloud/Apple email, and have been using for many years, back long before iCloud was a thing. It is my primary email account. If you are reasonably sure you'll keep using Apple stuff, it's awesome for it's tighter integration with Apple's other services and apps.,

BTW, you do not lose it by not using Apple stuff, it just looks a bit odd; like putting a Dodge Ram hood ornament on your Chevy pickup. It's a standard IMAP account that can be used with most email clients. Not just Apple Mail. The account does not require a registered Apple device to work. (to the best of my knowledge)

I also have gmail and Yahoo. I don't recommend Yahoo. I had a pretty bad reputation for problems a few years back, and while nothing much has popped up on the news or forum recently, I suspect it is because very few people use them anymore. I'm not sure why I still have it in my Mail app, other than habit.

Gmail is a good, reliable service. I use Google for a quite a few things. Mostly when I need to cooperate with others who use Google's apps. If it weren't for the inherent conflict between their business model and customer privacy I'd feel better, but I'm not enough bothered by it to stop using their services when they are more convenient.

If I were forced to give up my Apple email account, I'd probably switch my primary account to a Microsoft version of email. I have an Office 365 account (for much the same reason I use Google apps), so it would't be to much of a leap.
 
Thanks for that. I’ll set up an account. I’ve been using Macs for over 30 years since about Classic OS 6, I’m not planning on stopping anytime soon! 😆.
 
I’ve setup an iCloud email but I can’t use it for my Apple ID at the moment. After a quick Google it seems I need to wait 30 days to change over from my old email.
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom