What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G'day from DownUnder

lyndonaus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am 70+yr bloke who has been messing with computers since 1987 and I'm retired.
Last year, I took up painting with acrylics from photos I had taken over the last 40 years or so but I was dissatisfied with the print-outs because too much detail and colour was lost (particularly from 35mm slides). Even though I had scanned the slides into the computer and manipulated them with Gimp.

I recently purchased an Olympus Digital SLR (E-620 4/3 Format) which I'm very happy with but I still had the problem of viewing the photos to their best advantage ... that's when I decided to buy an iPad and I'm really glad I did!

I have just finished my first painting using the iPad and it was a breeze.
I have up-dated the OS with no problems but the one thing I am not happy about is the system of syncing. There is more than one location of photos on my computer and I like to be able to copy small numbers of selected photos to the iPad without having to sync every location, can anyone help?

Thanks
lyndonaus

"If I was any fitter, I'd be dangerous!" ;)

Brisbane

Hello Col,

Nice to get the first reply from someone else from Brisbane ... incidentally, I live on the northside at McDowall but very close friends live in Forest Lake, a very nice area.
cheers,
lyndonaus

"If I was any fitter, I'd be dangerous" ;)

...[Little snippage here...]...I have up-dated the OS with no problems but the one thing I am not happy about is the system of syncing. There is more than one location of photos on my computer and I like to be able to copy small numbers of selected photos to the iPad without having to sync every location, can anyone help?

Hi, lyndonaus -

And welcome!

I've found two apps that really help [me] so that I didn't have to try to figure out which photos to sync with iTunes (or to keep straight the sync process).

1. Dropbox: It's an app AND an online file-storing system. You can sign up for 2gb of free storage online. Then, you download an .exe file to your home computer which'll set up Dropbox as if it were a regular file folder - you can drag 'n' drop photos (or anything, really) to it all day. Then, you get the Dropbox app onto your iPad (it's free) and you can access that file folder from wherever you wish, so long as you are connected to the Internet. Dropbox is awesome for online file storage/retrieval that I can't recommend highly enough.

2) Photo Transfer App: This one will let you transfer photos from your home computer to the iPad - and vice versa - by simply selecting the photos. You have to be on your home network, but it is a very quick and painless way to send photos back and forth wirelessly. I think the price of this one is under US $3 (I can't see the price as it tells me only that it is "installed"). With the app open, you send photos from your home computer (you are given a web browser link with a browse and an upload buttons) and you can save those photos in your iPad's photo library. Easy peasy!

I wish you luck in your search - and happy painting!

Marilyn

Thank you Marilyn for that info, I read about the photo app after I posted .... should have searched first, shouldn't I?
I'll investigate the Dropbox app and see if it will fit my system.
Thanks again,

lyndonaus

"If I was ant fitter, I'd be dangerous";)

2) Photo Transfer App: This one will let you transfer photos from your home computer to the iPad - and vice versa - by simply selecting the photos. You have to be on your home network, but it is a very quick and painless way to send photos back and forth wirelessly. I think the price of this one is under US $3 (I can't see the price as it tells me only that it is "installed"). With the app open, you send photos from your home computer (you are given a web browser link with a browse and an upload buttons) and you can save those photos in your iPad's photo library. Easy peasy!

I wish you luck in your search - and happy painting!

Marilyn
Hi Marilyn,
I downloaded the above app last night and put it to the test.
I was very happy with the outcome and like you said "Easy peasy".
Now I can download or is that upload only the photos I intend painting if I so desire.
Thank you again!:)
I'm off now to do some painting ...bye

"If I was any fitter, I'd be dangerous"

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back