What's new

Ipad books with a newly formatted computer

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
103
Reaction score
7
I just had to reformat my computer and of course had to re-install itunes.
Of course when I did that non of the books or music showed up.
My question is - what will happen when I plug in my wife's ipad?
When I plug it in will I loose everything on the ipad?
Is there any way to get everything back from the ipad onto itunes.
I really hate to start all over again loading all the books and music
I know it's to late but, is there something that I should have done before I reformatted?
Thank you
 
Before you connect your iPad to the computer, make sure you don't automatically sync with it. This can be found in iTunes - Edit - Preferences - Devices.

When you connect your iPad to the computer for the "first" time, you'll have to confirm that you trust the computer. A popup will appear on your iPad, where you'll have to select "Trust".

In iTunes, you can transfer your purchases to the computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1848

Before formatting, you could have used one of these methods to make sure music not purchased in iTunes Store isn't lost: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527
 
Last edited:
Does this work with only the purchased items?
I have a lot of books and music and pictures that were not purchased through itunes
Thank you for your quick reply
 
That's for purchased items only.

Here's a list with various links that might help get most of your items to the computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1209
It will tell you what's possible, and what you can't do through iTunes.

Hope that helps.
 
Thank you everybody for your help.
My wife still hasn't asked me to load in more books - so I'll see what happens when the time comes. Scary
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom