What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro Version 1 owner -Upgrade time

Tax-Slave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally had a IPad in 2010 when launched and later updated to a iPad Pro version 1 with 128GB in 2014 in November.
The iPad Pro has worked very well since 2014 and been more than happy with it.
My main uses for iPad Pro is Facebook , Ebay , Watching YouTube videos and safari (internet access) ….oh and play the odd fruit machine type game.

Options are to update to an iPad Pro 2024 13’ screen version with 256GB at £1300 ‘ish or iPad Air 13’ screen 256GB that’s approx £900 and £400 cheaper.

Will I see a significant improvement in speed and screen graphics above my iPad Pro version with the 2024 13” Air model?
I have read the refresh rate for iPad Air isn’t as good as the iPad Pro 2024 model.

I originally had a IPad in 2010 when launched and later updated to a iPad Pro version 1 with 128GB in 2014 in November.
My main uses for iPad Pro is Facebook , Ebay , Watching YouTube videos and safari (internet access) ….oh and play the odd fruit machine type game.

Options are to update to an iPad Pro 2024 13’ screen version with 256GB at £1300 ‘ish or iPad Air 13’ screen 256GB that’s approx £900 and £400 cheaper.

Will I see a significant improvement in speed and screen graphics above my iPad Pro version with the 2024 13” Air model?
I have read the refresh rate for iPad Air isn’t as good as the iPad Pro 2024 model.
My friend and I visited an Apple Store to see these very models last week and we both felt the Pro screen was superior in every way to the Air. If I hadn’t got an iPad Pro that is working very well, I would choose the Pro again over the Air.

First, welcome to the forum! :) Second, I cannot believe your 'ancient' Pro is still going strong (sure it's on an older iOS version and have you had the battery changed?) I usually go 4-5 years before upgrading our iPads and the newest ones, whichever model you choose will certainly make your old one look dated!

I would suggest looking at some comparative reviews and to get started look HERE and view the You Tube video below - two big differences (among others such as the cameras) are the M2 vs. M4 in the Air and Pro and also the displays - the Pro is superior w/ OLED layers for twice as many NITS on the brightness scale and twice the refresh rate. NOW, the Pro is substantially more expensive and will likely benefit individuals who require speed and screen sharpness. So if money is no object for you, then the Pro may be your best choice.

For me, I have an older Pro that is working just fine for my needs so I plan to wait - on the other hand my son, an IT expert went with the iPad Air for his needs, and I just bought my wife, a long time Mini user, an 11" iPad Air so she could read her books and play her simple games/paint programs more easily - both are quite happy with their choices. Finally, I would suggest you visit a store and look at both models performing some of the tasks you use often to see how each model differs. Good luck - Dave

First, welcome to the forum! :) Second, I cannot believe your 'ancient' Pro is still going strong (sure it's on an older iOS version and have you had the battery changed?) I usually go 4-5 years before upgrading our iPads and the newest ones, whichever model you choose will certainly make your old one look dated!

I would suggest looking at some comparative reviews and to get started look HERE and view the You Tube video below - two big differences (among others such as the cameras) are the M2 vs. M4 in the Air and Pro and also the displays - the Pro is superior w/ OLED layers for twice as many NITS on the brightness scale and twice the refresh rate. NOW, the Pro is substantially more expensive and will likely benefit individuals who require speed and screen sharpness. So if money is no object for you, then the Pro may be your best choice.

For me, I have an older Pro that is working just fine for my needs so I plan to wait - on the other hand my son, an IT expert went with the iPad Air for his needs, and I just bought my wife, a long time Mini user, an 11" iPad Air so she could read her books and play her simple games/paint programs more easily - both are quite happy with their choices. Finally, I would suggest you visit a store and look at both models performing some of the tasks you use often to see how each model differs. Good luck - Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.
My iPad Pro (almost 10 years old) has had no battery updates or anything done to it.
I have it plugged into mains most of the time however.
Bought this one in October 2014 in Switzerland (when we lived there) and was a lot cheaper than the uk with VAT at 8% plus the store had a 10% off day.

Just returned from a store and played a video on both in parallel (YouTube Aquarium) and the Pro did have a sharper screen image.
When I played music on both the Air version of iPad sounded better than the Pro (same sound track).

I have a iPhone Max , but regardless I will have to get used to the lack of Home button on the new iPads.

I will watch the video.

Cheers
Kevin

PS IOS is 16.7.8

For its age it runs perfectly.
One of the sound buttons doesn’t pop out as far as it should, but still works fine.
That’s the only defect it has.
Due to the longevity of this iPad Pro I have never had justification to upgrade. But now is the time I feel before something does go pop and I can’t access my data on it (then again that’s on the cloud anyway).

PS IOS is 16.7.8

For its age it runs perfectly.
One of the sound buttons doesn’t pop out as far as it should, but still works fine.
That’s the only defect it has.
Due to the longevity of this iPad Pro I have never had justification to upgrade. But now is the time I feel before something does go pop and I can’t access my data on it (then again that’s on the cloud anyway).
Well, from your previous post about keeping the iPad plugged into power, you likely have a much smaller number of 'cycles' on the battery than expected, which will prolong its lifetime - if interested (and if you have an Apple computer or can use one?), Coconut Battery is a free app for macOS that will check battery health on an iDevice.

But, you've been lucky and certainly deserve a new iPad! 👍 My Pro was bought 5 years ago but developed a screen glitch and being still under Apple Care+, they sent me a new one (probably a refurb) 3 years ago, so I may be good to go for another few years - the 'new' one is still fine w/ about 90% battery health. Dave :)

Last edited:
Anything you get from the current lineup is going to be substantially better than your old iPad Pro. For your use cases, the only advantage of the 13" iPad Pro over the 13" iPad air is the screen. It is hands down the best iPad screen ever. That said, the iPad Air's screen is pretty good. Much better than what you have now. The reports I've heard say that reading and viewing videos is a delight. Is it worth that much more money? Only you can decide. Keep in mind the iPad Air screen is also a huge improvement over your current iPad screen. If you never see the Pro screen, you're not going miss it.

Speed wise, nothing you've mentioned is going to be noticeably faster on the 13" iPad Pro than on the 13" iPad Air. Any current iPad will handle these tasks effortlessly.

P.S. Be ready for some big differences in user interface. You should be four or five iPadOS versions behind, and a lot has happened.

Anything you get from the current lineup is going to be substantially better than your old iPad Pro. For your use cases, the only advantage of the 13" iPad Pro over the 13" iPad air is the screen. It is hands down the best iPad screen ever. That said, the iPad Air's screen is pretty good. Much better than what you have now. The reports I've heard say that reading and viewing videos is a delight. Is it worth that much more money? Only you can decide. Keep in mind the iPad Air screen is also a huge improvement over your current iPad screen. If you never see the Pro screen, you're not going miss it.

Speed wise, nothing you've mentioned is going to be noticeably faster on the 13" iPad Pro than on the 13" iPad Air. Any current iPad will handle these tasks effortlessly.

P.S. Be ready for some big differences in user interface. You should be four or five iPadOS versions behind, and a lot has happened.
Thanks for the reply.
I don’t think I’m too far behind. Last update (7 days ago) was a security patch that takes us to 16.7.8.

I did do a side by side comparison yesterday at a local store (not Apple). I run the same YouTube aquarium video in 4K on both starting video at same point. Yes I did see the difference in displays.
The electrical store had brightness on both iPad set to max , so I reduced it to 50% prior to playing the video.

Sound wise I played the same Peter Gabriel track on both (yes I’m old school music) and I found the IPad Air sounded better , with the iPad Pro sound being different to what I’m used to …..guess it’s what I’m used to with 2 speakers instead of 4.

A but if me says ‘£400’ cheaper IPad Air at £900 for 256GB makes financial sense over the iPad Pro …but you only live once and I will only waste the £400 saving on things we don’t need ….so I’m swaying towards buying the Pro at £1300 in UK.
I can even get a few ÂŁ for the old iPad Pro on eBay it seems. Apple tech has a good resale value.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpeg
    IMG_0668.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 7
Nice. I hadn't realized that the original iPad Pro had done so well with updates. You are right, the changes are not massive going to iPadOS 17. The bigest benefits are to the various multi-tasking and widget/home-screen stuff.

I find the speaker's on my iPad Pro (Just one generation old now) to be ok, but I rarely listen to music that way, or to movies if I think the audio is important for that show. I recently upgraded to some AirPod Pro 2 earbuds, and I find them far better than my average ears' needs.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new iPad. Drop by anytime and let us know what you think of it.

Nice. I hadn't realized that the original iPad Pro had done so well with updates. You are right, the changes are not massive going to iPadOS 17. The bigest benefits are to the various multi-tasking and widget/home-screen stuff.

I find the speaker's on my iPad Pro (Just one generation old now) to be ok, but I rarely listen to music that way, or to movies if I think the audio is important for that show. I recently upgraded to some AirPod Pro 2 earbuds, and I find them far better than my average ears' needs.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new iPad. Drop by anytime and let us know what you think of it.
Well it arrived via courier at 1pm’ ish.
I left it in box until after lunch and the power plug with USB-C slot in it arrived from Amazon plus some longer cables.
Notice Apple no longer use cellophane to wrap box , but tear off paper pulls/seals and screen no longer had a plastic protector over it.

Set up was easy as expected and it found current iPad Pro Gen 1 ok.
Using camera on it to look at fuzzy blue ball was new (my wife’s iPad didn’t do that 3 years ago).
All in all everything went ok.
But it has been unusable for last 8 hours while it download 40GB from the cloud and downloads / installs dozens of apps.
So not been able to play with it yet ….apps fire up very quickly and then hit network where they stall almost.

We are not huge gamers at home and just me and wife.
Netflix , Prime etc are HD and only watch together on TV.
So we have 55Mbs downstream and 20Mbs upstream that is more than adequate for our needs.
(In Switzerland in apartment back in 2016 we had 1Gb’s both ways, but we had a city apartment and work paid the bills 😀).

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back