What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Advice

gpo1956

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some advice. I'm looking at tablets for work and for play. I'll be using it in work to show pictures of houses and hopefully to download price lists and techical data so, hopefully, I can get rid of the old notebooks and paper. As far as fun, it will mostly be web browsing and forum acttivities. I use Windows desktops at home and work and an iPhone 4 as my cell device. I have approx 400 songs on my iphone, along with approx 450 contacts and thats about it. No books, tv shows or movies on anything else. So, would I be crazy to buy an Android tablet versus the iPad? For my work , would either device be better than the other significantly? Is there any way to transfer songs and contacts between the two device systems? I'm not really concerned about the vastly greater number of apps available for the iPad, as there are a relatively few that I have downloaded anyway. (30-40 at most).
Thanks for any input you can give me.

gpo1956 said:
Hey guys. I need some advice. I'm looking at tablets for work and for play. I'll be using it in work to show pictures of houses and hopefully to download price lists and techical data so, hopefully, I can get rid of the old notebooks and paper. As far as fun, it will mostly be web browsing and forum acttivities. I use Windows desktops at home and work and an iPhone 4 as my cell device. I have approx 400 songs on my iphone, along with approx 450 contacts and thats about it. No books, tv shows or movies on anything else. So, would I be crazy to buy an Android tablet versus the iPad? For my work , would either device be better than the other significantly? Is there any way to transfer songs and contacts between the two device systems? I'm not really concerned about the vastly greater number of apps available for the iPad, as there are a relatively few that I have downloaded anyway. (30-40 at most).

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Good question and I'm sure you will get some good advice from members who know all the technical side between iPad and android devices. Anything you have on your iPhone can be synced to the iPad.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

For your requirements I suspect that an Android tablet would work fine. Using gmail and gmail contacts as a bridge between your phone and your tablet should pose no problems for sharing email and contacts. And you may find that you prefer the greater variety of sizes available in the Android world. In addition, you'll find fewer problems with browsing internet sites that use flash and (probably) more options to customize the look and feel of your tablet.

On the other hand, the iPad would serve you equally well. And in return for a less customizable device, you'll also have a more stable device and one that requires virtually no system management. You may run into some issues with "download(ing) price lists and technical data," especially if they are maintained in a format such as Excel. But you may well face exactly the same issues with an Android tablet. And if recent rumors are true you'll likely find a native version of MS Office apps on the iPad before they appear in the Android world.

I'm no Apple fanboy. There are a number of features in the Android environment that I prefer to iOS. But unless there was a compelling reason to choose an Android tablet at this point, I'd still purchase an iPad. A year from now and the answer might be different.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back