What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phishing Scam - Congrats - $1000 Gift Certificate

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, we seem to not have a 'security' forum were issues related to malware, phishing, scams, browser hijacking, etc. can be discussed. But, I'm just curious about the obvious 'phishing scam' shown below in two 'screen captures' from my iPad Air 2 when on the iPad Forums using Safari (most recent iOS). This 'announcement' pops up intermittently only on my iPad and this forum - googling provides plenty of hits of others affected, so not unique to me. The first screen 'redirects' to another URL which brings up the second screen - a $1000 Gift Certificate is offered if certain questions are answered; of course, don't continue.

My usual response is to: 1) Disconnect from the internet (i.e. turn off Wi-Fi or go to Airplane mode); 2) Force Close the browser app (Safari in my case); 3) Re-open the browser and delete the nagging URL; and 4) Reconnect to the internet - this usually rids me of this scam; however, I've had to also delete my browsing history (a pain). When I open Chrome on my iPad, I do not receive this pop-up when on the iPad Forums; nor have I had the issue on my Mac laptops.

So, just curious if others have received this 'phishing scam' - if so, any other comments? Safari in iOS does not seem to offer any 'blocking options' - I'm also usually on a VPN which does not seem to prevent this issue. Dave :)
IMG_8549.PNG
IMG_8550.PNG

I received something very similar to this yesterday evening and did what you did to get rid of it. iOS 11 is supposed to be able to stop sites from tracking your browsing history and using it to send directed advertising and spam to you that’s based on how you use the internet. It’s possible it could help in cases like this but we'll have to wait and see.

I've never seen this. But, I run the Weblock ad/scam blocker on my iPad. The true value of ad blockers is in stopping malware and phishing attempts; the absence of annoying ads is just a bonus.

Weblock stops nearly all ads, BTW, not just the ones in browsers. App ads can be dangerous, too.

I've never seen this. But, I run the Weblock ad/scam blocker on my iPad. The true value of ad blockers is in stopping malware and phishing attempts; the absence of annoying ads is just a bonus.

Weblock stops nearly all ads, BTW, not just the ones in browsers. App ads can be dangerous, too.

Hi Lanny - I just checked and actually have the Weblock app on my iPad but never set it up! Now on my Mac laptops, I have Ghostery and AdBlock as Safari extensions and rarely have a problem in macOS while browsing, but will be blocked out of reviewing sites unless I add them to my 'whitelist' - have you found this a problem using Weblock on an iOS device? Thanks - Dave :)

Whitelisting is offered in Weblock, but I am not sure it actually works. There's one web page I visit daily that stalls, half-loaded, until I cycle Airplane mode for a few seconds. Some weird script, I suppose. Otherwise, it's transparent. Once set up, it needn't be running to work.

On my iMac, I prefer uBlock Origin over Adblock, for both Firefox and Safari. It's much faster and more configurable, plus there have been insinuations that Adblock is not as private as one might hope.

Please give a look at AdGuard and AdGuard Pro in the App Store as this app stopped this issue dead in its tracks for me.

Please give a look at AdGuard and AdGuard Pro in the App Store as this app stopped this issue dead in its tracks for me.

Hi Mickey..... - thanks for the recommendation on AdGuard (Pro) - the latter just a 2 buck purchase - obviously, this app does not function in iOS like my Safari extensions on my laptops using macOS - I do use a VPN on my iPad mostly when 'on the road', so assume that the app is activated in the background? Any comments appreciated and sure others will be interested. Dave :)

I'm going to attempt to upload several screenshots as there is a tour which helps explain it's quick and easy setup. It was really easy to setup and just forget. Of course some will fine tune things and such but all I did was enable it and no pop ups whatsoever. And the one described here in this thread has been quite the PITA.

IMG_0019.PNG
IMG_0020.PNG
IMG_0021.PNG
IMG_0022.PNG
IMG_0023.PNG

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back