What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I jailbreak?

226r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi group. I have an old iPad 4 iOS 10.3.4 and just want to find a browser where websites will work, and also be able to let me log into Facebook. I'm reading about about a few possible routes to take - jailbreaking, downgrade to 9.3.5, keep trying different browsers till one works, etc. I'm new to using any kind of Apple products and I'm kinda paralyzed as to what to do. Any suggestions please?

Cheers
Shawn

Hi group. I have an old iPad 4 iOS 10.3.4 and just want to find a browser where websites will work, and also be able to let me log into Facebook. I'm reading about about a few possible routes to take - jailbreaking, downgrade to 9.3.5, keep trying different browsers till one works, etc. I'm new to using any kind of Apple products and I'm kinda paralyzed as to what to do. Any suggestions please?

Cheers
Shawn
I definitely wouldn’t recommend jailbreaking unless you really know what you are doing. You will not be able to download iPad OS 9.3.5 as it will not be signed for your iPad. What happens when you try to log into Facebook using Safari?

I definitely wouldn’t recommend jailbreaking unless you really know what you are doing. You will not be able to download iPad OS 9.3.5 as it will not be signed for your iPad. What happens when you try to log into Facebook using Safari?

Thank you for the reply Jupiter7. Well, I input my username/password, and when I hit enter it simply blanks out the password field and does nothing :-( I've downloaded several other lesser-known browsers (ie. Dolphin, Puffin, etc) and they all do the same thing.

Many common websites (ie. cnn.com, etc) just don't function correctly either - video links don't work when clicked on.

Thanks!
Shawn

Thank you for the reply Jupiter7. Well, I input my username/password, and when I hit enter it simply blanks out the password field and does nothing :-( I've downloaded several other lesser-known browsers (ie. Dolphin, Puffin, etc) and they all do the same thing.

Many common websites (ie. cnn.com, etc) just don't function correctly either - video links don't work when clicked on.

Thanks!
Shawn
Are you absolutely sure you are putting in the correct password? You could try downloading the Facebook App.

Are you absolutely sure you are putting in the correct password? You could try downloading the Facebook App.

oh yes, did it a hundred times on several different browsers. It won't let me download the FB app - it says my iOS is too old :-(

Thanks
Shawn

oh yes, did it a hundred times on several different browsers. It won't let me download the FB app - it says my iOS is too old :-(

Thanks
Shawn
In that case, sadly the iPad’s age may be the reason you can’t access the website either via any browser.

Dang. Would jailbreaking open up any new possibilities? I guess I really have nothing to lose...

Cheers
Shawn

It wouldnt allow you to download Facebook if that’s what you mean and you would be risking your security.

oh I'm not too worried about security... I wouldn't be doing any purchases or have any financial info on there.

Just wondering if jailbreaking would somehow make a browser (any browser) work right.

Thanks
Shawn

Looks like the Puffin browser still works with older iOS versions, back to iOS 8.

Two cautions.

One: Puffing uses a remote server to surf the net. You are not only trusting your security to the sites you are visiting and your ISP. You also need to trust those servers. While I've never heard of any trust issues with Puffin, I would not do anything I couldn't afford to lose there.

Two: To get the full benefits of the browser you'll need a subscription. It doesn't look to be expensive. Only $1 a month or $5 a year, but not free.

There are a couple versions, so pick the one you like.

There used to be a couple of other remote/cloud based browsers, so if you don't like the look of Puffing, do some more searching. The key is that the actual browsing engine is on a remote server. The limitations of the iPad's OS is not important, as long as it can run the remote client app. In this case, Puffin.

Thanks for the replies guys. Twerppoet - among the several browsers I've download and tried, Puffin was one of them. Unfortunately, it had the same problems as the others (ie. couldn't log into FB site, video links on sites not playing, etc). Or maybe I'm just using the wrong "kind" of Puffin browser? Do you think the paid version would work properly?

Thanks!
Shawn

Thanks for the replies guys. Twerppoet - among the several browsers I've download and tried, Puffin was one of them. Unfortunately, it had the same problems as the others (ie. couldn't log into FB site, video links on sites not playing, etc). Or maybe I'm just using the wrong "kind" of Puffin browser? Do you think the paid version would work properly?

Thanks!
Shawn

I don't know. The three (that I know of) variations are probably about the same. The Puffin Incognito version shows the most recent version update, so might be worth a try, but all versions are less than a year old. There haven't been any huge changes in web security in that time, that I know of.

It make me think there might be some other issue besides the browser. I can't do any testing with FB myself. I closed that account years ago.

I don't know. The three (that I know of) variations are probably about the same. The Puffin Incognito version shows the most recent version update, so might be worth a try, but all versions are less than a year old. There haven't been any huge changes in web security in that time, that I know of.

It make me think there might be some other issue besides the browser. I can't do any testing with FB myself. I closed that account years ago.

Thanks Twerppoet... App Store won't let me download Puffin Incognito, says I need iOS 14.0 or higher. I see Puffin Browser Pro there with a price of $6.99 but I'm waiting first to hear back from the Puffin folks whether this will work for me or not.

I might be wrong, but I can't see what other issue there'd be besides the browser - I just did a full fresh reset on this device before all of this.

Thanks!
Shawn

For Facebook, I would look through their support articles for issues with browser sign-in and 2 factor authentication. Not sure about the other sites.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back