What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arkansas - My Family's Second Home

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the early 1970s, just after I graduated from medical school from the University of Michigan (my home state then), and moved w/ Susan to North Carolina, my father decided to retire early and picked the state of Arkansas - he moved there w/ my mother and two younger brothers - first to a rural community north of Little Rock near Conway - he built a house - we first visited in 1972 - later he relocated to Hot Springs in the southwest area of the state and a popular tourist attraction; again he built another house. We just returned from a family visit, and I've never discussed this interesting state although I've been there dozens of times over 4 decades.

Arkansas, name derived from a regional American Indian language, is surrounded by a half dozen states (Missouri north, Louisiana south, Oklahoma & Texas west, and Tennessee & Mississippi east) - see the maps below. Arkansas entered the Union in 1836 as the 25th state - the state flag uses the colors of the USA flag - the outer stars add up to 25; the inner stars represent the countries/governments that controlled the land, i.e. the lower three represent Spain, France, and the USA, and the upper single one the Confederate States during the Civil War. The other images show various sites in the state that we've visited over many years and also the Hot Springs area where my family has lived for a long time. Upcoming posts will concentrate on Hot Springs, Little Rock, and a number of other towns and attractions. This is a travelogue long in coming - the number of posts will depend on input from others and I hope there are some members living in the state who will contribute? Dave :)
Arkansas_0.png
Arkansas_1.png
Arkansas_2.png
Arkansas_3.png
Arkansas_4.png
Arkansas_5.png
Arkansas_7.png
Arkansas_8.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hot Springs is unique - a National Park as described below in the quotes - past history of gambling, speakeasies, and gangsters, such as Al Capone - in one of our stays @ the Arlington Hotel (see pics below), we were on the floor w/ a sign on a suite where Capone stayed. Oaklawn Park is still a popular seasonal horse racing event for the city - both my sisters-in-law have worked there during the racing season. Many other attractions are available, including a lake ride on the Belle or the Ducks (amphibious vehicles) and the observation tower giving spectacular views of the lakes and Ouachita Mountains.

On this visit, Susan and I decided to stay at a condo on Lake Hamilton (South Lake Shore Resort), shown below w/ a view from our deck of portions of the lake and the background mountains - beautiful scenery and warm weather for this time of the year. We enjoyed visiting our relatives and had some great food - for dinner, we ate at Fisherman's Wharf, about 5 minutes from our resort condo - we shared a dozen oysters each of three dinners (from Louisiana, a state below Arkansas) - I had three different fishes - Susan had fried frog legs and fried catfish, a local specialty! Next up our 2-night visit to Little Rock. Dave :)

Hot Springs is the eleventh-largest city in Arkansas , located in the Ouachita Mountains and is set among several natural hot springs for which the city is named. The center of Hot Springs is the oldest federal reserve in the United States, today preserved as Hot Springs National Park. The hot spring water has been popularly believed for centuries to possess medicinal properties, and was a subject of legend among several Native American tribes. Following federal protection in 1832, the city has been home to Major League Baseball spring training, illegal gambling, speakeasies and gangsters such as Al Capone, horse racing at Oaklawn Park, the Army and Navy Hospital, and 42nd President Bill Clinton (Source).

Hot Springs National Park is maintained by the National Park Service, including Bathhouse Row, which preserves the eight historic bathhouse buildings and gardens along Central Avenue. Downtown Hot Springs is preserved as Hot Springs Central Avenue Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The city also contains dozens of historic hotels and motor courts, built during the Great Depression in the art deco style. Due to the popularity of the thermal waters, Hot Springs benefited from rapid growth during a period when many cities saw a sharp decline in building. As a result, Hot Springs's architecture is a key part of the city's blend of cultures; including a reputation as a tourist town and a Southern city. Also a destination for the arts, Hot Springs features the Hot Springs Music Festival, Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival, and the Valley of the Vapors Independent Music Festival annually (Source).
HotSprings_1.png
HotSprings_1a.png
HotSprings_1b.png
HotSprings_1c.png
HotSprings_1d.png
HotSprings_2.png
HotSprings_3.png
HotSprings_4.png
HotSprings_5.png
HotSprings_6.png
HotSprings_7.png
HotSprings_8.JPG
HotSprings_9a.png
HotSprings_9b.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hot Springs is unique - a National Park as described below in the quotes - past history of gambling, speakeasies, and gangsters, such as Al Capone - in one of our stays @ the Arlington Hotel (see pics below), we were on the floor w/ a sign on a suite where Capone stayed. Oaklawn Park is still a popular seasonal horse racing event for the city - both my sisters-in-law have worked there during the racing season. Many other attractions are available, including a lake ride on the Belle or the Ducks (amphibious vehicles) and the observation tower giving spectacular views of the lakes and Ouachita Mountains.

On this visit, Susan and I decided to stay at a condo on Lake Hamilton (South Lake Shore Resort), shown below w/ a view from our deck of portions of the lake and the background mountains - beautiful scenery and warm weather for this time of the year. We enjoyed visiting our relatives and had some great food - for dinner, we ate at Fisherman's Wharf, about 5 minutes from our resort condo - we shared a dozen oysters each of three dinners (from Louisiana, a state below Arkansas) - I had three different fishes - Susan had fried frog legs and fried catfish, a local specialty! Next up our 2-night visit to Little Rock. Dave :)

View attachment 74497 View attachment 74498 View attachment 74499 View attachment 74500 View attachment 74501 View attachment 74502 View attachment 74503 View attachment 74504 View attachment 74505 View attachment 74506 View attachment 74507 View attachment 74508 View attachment 74509 View attachment 74510
A very interesting travel story,with the obligatory oysters at the end.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A very interesting travel story,with the obligatory oysters at the end.

Hi Scifan.. - well, the state sits on top of Louisiana on the Gulf Coast, so fresh oysters are close! We shared a dozen each of our 3 meals at the Fisherman's Wharf and all were delicious - yum! More posts to come - Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you try out one of the historic bathhouses?

We have visited the Visitor's Center (back in the 1990s), and Susan & my mother have 'taken the waters' - Susan has been to many 'spas' over the decades and visiting an old fashioned bathhouse there is a flashback to the past - believe that she was in a BIG tub and was scrubbed, then had a number of other 'treatments' (don't remember the details); for me, I'm just not a 'spa guy', so only did the tour - this was a while back; my mother past away in 1998.

Since bathhouses are an important part of Hot Springs National Park and of historic interest, a little more information is quoted below; many of these have been renovated and offer a variety of services - for spa lovers, this is an unique experience to explore - the link provides descriptions of the buildings and additional links to each one which hopefully provides timely information on their current operations. The pics below from the web show the beauty of many of these restored properties; above 'Bathhouse Row' is a beautifully landscaped park w/ a promenade and walking trails. Dave :)

Bathhouse Row is a collection of bathhouses, associated buildings, and gardens located at Hot Springs National Park in the city of Hot Springs, Arkansas. The bathhouses were included in 1832 when the Federal Government preserved 47 natural hot springs, their mineral waters which lack the sulphur odor of most hot springs, and their area of origin on the lower slopes of Hot Springs Mountain. The existing bathhouses are the third and fourth generations of bathhouses along Hot Springs Creek and some sit directly over the hot springs. The bathhouses are a collection of turn-of-the-century eclectic buildings in neoclassical, renaissance-revival, Spanish and Italianate styles aligned in a linear pattern with formal entrances, outdoor fountains, promenades and other landscape-architectural features. The buildings are illustrative of the popularity of the spa movement in the United States in the 19th and 20th centuries (Source).
BathHouseRow_1.png
BathHouseRow_2a.png
BathHouseRow_2b.png
BathHouseRow_3.png
BathHouseRow_4.png
BathHouseRow_5.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Little Rock State Capitol

Little Rock is the capital of Arkansas and the most populous city in the state - quoted below a little history. There are many historic and newer governmental buildings, the Clinton Library, Historic and Art Museums, the Governor's Mansion, historic Central High School. The town is on the Arkansas River w/ the main streets paralleling the water. In this and the next few posts, I'll focus on some of the sites visited, none of which I've seen before despite visiting the state for over 40 years. We had just 2 nights in the city which included a Sunday afternoon and full day Monday.

Our first stop was the Arkansas State Capitol; several architects worked on the plans and the building is a scale model of the US Capitol. Construction took 16 years, from 1899 to 1915; the exterior is made of Arkansas limestone - total construction cost was $2.2 million at the time, or $320 million in 2014 dollars! The grounds has multiple monuments and memorials representing various parts of the state's past and present. They include the Monument to Confederate Soldiers, Liberty Bell replica, Bauxite and Granite Boulders, Confederate War Prisoners Memorial, Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Arkansas Medal of Honor Memorial, Memorial Fountain, Monument to Confederate Women, and Little Rock Nine Civil Rights Memorial.

On Sunday, the building is toured on your own although guided tours are offered on other days - inside are the Governor's Office, Senate & House, and the Supreme Court; of course along w/ many other support and personnel offices - shown below are all my own pics (love the outside panoramic view) - former Arkansas Governor and USA President, Bill Clinton is featured in several places. Susan had a cold and was tired so I caught her relaxing on a first floor bench. Flash was not used for the inside shots, so not the greatest pics - sorry. Dave :)

Little Rock is the capital and the most populous city of Arkansas. It was incorporated on November 7, 1831, on the south bank of the Arkansas River very near the geographic center of the state. The city derives its name from a rock formation along the river, named "La Petite Roche" by the French in 1799. The city's population was 193,524 at the 2010 census. Little Rock is a cultural, economic, government and transportation center within Arkansas and the South. Several cultural institutions are located in Little Rock, such as the Arkansas Arts Center, the Arkansas Repertory Theatre, and the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra, in addition to the hiking, boating, and other outdoor recreational opportunities. Little Rock's history is available through history museums, historic districts or neighborhoods, and historic sites such as Little Rock Central High School. The city is the headquarters of Dillard's, Windstream Communications, Acxiom, Stephens Inc., University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Heifer International, the Clinton Foundation, and the Rose Law Firm (Source.
LRCapitol_1a.JPG
LRCapitol_1b.JPG
LRCapitol_1c.JPG
LRCapitol_1d.JPG
LRCapitol_2a.JPG
LRCapitol_2b.JPG
LRCapitol_2c.JPG
LRCapitol_3a.JPG
LRCapitol_3b.JPG
LRCapitol_4a.JPG
LRCapitol_4b.JPG
LRCapitol_5a.JPG
LRCapitol_5b.JPG
LRCapitol_6.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dome - Arkansas State Capitol

Just wanted to add a few comments about the beautiful dome (213 ft from the ground floor w/ gold leaf on the cupola) - just a web pic w/ a different color emphasis - Dave :)

The neo-classical style of the building is a common example of monumental architecture of the early 20th century. The marble on the floors and walls came from Vermont, the columns from Colorado, and the grand staircases from Alabama. The exterior limestone was quarried near Batesville, Arkansas while a softer Indiana limestone was used for the dome. The Capitol contains 247,000 square feet. The distance from ground level to the top of the cupola is 213 feet. The cupola is covered in gold leaf (Source).
Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 11.17.01 AM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are people allowed to climb to the top of the dome?

Not sure if opened to the public vs. special invitation - there is a railing that can be seen so the dome is certainly accessible - I climbed the stairs to the 4th floor which included the galleries that overlooked the 3rd floor Senate and House Chambers.

In 2013, the dome underwent a major restoration (see video below, if interested) - also, for those interested in a self-guided tour, checkout our these PDF links - LINK 1 and LINK 2 - Dave :)

P.S. after watching that video below, the pic of the dome in my previous post may have been pre-restoration.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
William J. Clinton Presidential Library

After our visit to the State Capitol, we headed downtown for a light lunch, and then to the Clinton Presidential Library; as described in the quote below, much more that just the library which was the focus of our visit. The Clinton Presidential Center was dedicated on November 18, 2004 - below are multiple views of the library from the outside, and also many of the inside - there is a reconstructed Cabinet Room and also an Oval Office, furnished as in the Clinton years in the White House. We spent about 3 hours inside but could have stayed much longer - an excellent film narrated by Bill Clinton is shown in the theater - highly recommended if in Little Rock. Dave :)

The William J. Clinton Presidential Center and Park is the presidential library of Bill Clinton, the 42nd President of the United States (1993–2001); located in Little Rock, Arkansas and includes the Clinton Presidential Library, the offices of the Clinton Foundation, and the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service. It is the thirteenth presidential library to have been completed in the United States, the eleventh to be operated by the National Archives and Records Administration,[1][2] and the third to comply with the Presidential Records Act of 1978 - situated on 17 acres of land located next to the Arkansas River (Source).

The main building cantilevers over the Arkansas River w/ a 68,698-square-foot floor plan, the library itself is the largest presidential library in terms of physical area, although the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library has the greatest space overall, due to its addition of the 90,000 square feet (8,400 m2) Air Force One Pavilion in 2005.[6] The archives are the largest as well, containing 2 million photographs, 80 million pages of documents, 21 million e-mail messages, and 79,000 artifacts from the Clinton presidency. The Clinton Library is also the most expensive, with all funding coming from 112,000 private donations. The museum showcases artifacts from Clinton's two terms as president and includes full-scale replicas of the Clinton-era Oval Office and Cabinet Room (Source).
ClintonLibrary_1a.png
ClintonLibrary_1b.png
ClintonLibrary_1c.png
ClintonLibrary_1d.png
ClintonLibrary_2a.png
ClintonLibrary_2b.png
ClintonLibrary_2c.png
ClintonLibrary_2d.png
ClintonLibrary_2e.png
ClintonLibrary_3.png
ClintonLibrary_4.png
ClintonLibrary_5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
William J. Clinton Presidential Library

After our visit to the State Capitol, we headed downtown for a light lunch, and then to the Clinton Presidential Library; as described in the quote below, much more that just the library which was the focus of our visit. The Clinton Presidential Center was dedicated on November 18, 2004 - below are multiple views of the library from the outside, and also many of the inside - there is a reconstructed Cabinet Room and also an Oval Office, furnished as in the Clinton years in the White House. We spent about 3 hours inside but could have stayed much longer - an excellent film narrated by Bill Clinton is shown in the theater - highly recommended if in Little Rock. Dave :)

View attachment 74534 View attachment 74535 View attachment 74536 View attachment 74537 View attachment 74538 View attachment 74539 View attachment 74540 View attachment 74541 View attachment 74542 View attachment 74543 View attachment 74544 View attachment 74545
I wonder if someday we'll have the Hillary Clinton Presidential Library nest door.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wonder if someday we'll have the Hillary Clinton Presidential Library nest door.

Yep, we took a tour w/ a guide (about 90 minutes) and that question was asked - guess that she has to win the election first - ;) Dave

P.S. Hiliary was born in Chicago, Illinois, so original home or adopted state? Also, Obama is planning to have his 'Presidential Center' in south Chicago.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Concerning Presidential Libraries, there are about a dozen (first pic below - Source) - I'm surprised that we've been to just the Clinton Library - a LOT left to go! ;)

NOW, before Katrina HIT the Gulf Coast, we did visit the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library at Beauvoir in Biloxi, MS on the coast - the place was severely damaged/destroyed by the hurricane, but has been rebuilt and opened a few years ago - that was a nice trip out of New Orleans - would enjoy returning to the Mississippi Gulf Coast to just see how the area has recovered - TERRIBLE damage to a lovely location. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 6.20.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 6.28.44 PM.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have visited the Visitor's Center (back in the 1990s), and Susan & my mother have 'taken the waters' - Susan has been to many 'spas' over the decades and visiting an old fashioned bathhouse there is a flashback to the past - believe that she was in a BIG tub and was scrubbed, then had a number of other 'treatments' (don't remember the details); for me, I'm just not a 'spa guy', so only did the tour - this was a while back; my mother past away in 1998.

Since bathhouses are an important part of Hot Springs National Park and of historic interest, a little more information is quoted below; many of these have been renovated and offer a variety of services - for spa lovers, this is an unique experience to explore - the link provides descriptions of the buildings and additional links to each one which hopefully provides timely information on their current operations. The pics below from the web show the beauty of many of these restored properties; above 'Bathhouse Row' is a beautifully landscaped park w/ a promenade and walking trails. Dave :)

View attachment 74512 View attachment 74513 View attachment 74514 View attachment 74515 View attachment 74516 View attachment 74517
I have gone to the baths there. They consist of a bath in a large tub (someone actually washes you), a needle shower, a full massage a lounge with cold cloths. The spas look as if they’re from 19th century, with old-fashioned equipment and black and white tiled floors. Not only relaxing, but HISTORICAL (hubby loves the historical aspects of trips)

Most reactions

Latest posts