What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Location - FREE Tweak

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just released on Cydia is a new free tweak called Auto Location.
It automatically turns on and off the Locations Services whenever an App requests it. No more needing to remember to turn on or off, and hopefully that conserves battery when out and about!

Have been testing it out this evening and it seems to work very well. No issues so far. See what you think...

Last edited:

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i didnt see this in cydia. nothing popped up in the search. what repo is it in? does this actually save battery? my location is usually always on and i still get great battery life.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
never mind, i found it. i had to let cydia update its packages.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The comments made about the battery were entirely my own. I have no idea whether this is or is not an effect on battery when location services are on but the chipset is not actually being used.
It is obvious it puts a signifcant draw on the battery whever the GPS arrow is displayed, as for other times I have no idea. I was just hopeful, and am sure any improvement is marginal at best and probably can't be noticed IRL...
At the end of the day, it seems like a very nice convenience tweak if nothing else. I'm enjoying it for foursquare especially...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put this on my iPad and I can see the little arrow appear and disappear when I use apps that need location services.

However, when I go to Settings, Location Services are still on. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Just wondering ...

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I put this on my iPad and I can see the little arrow appear and disappear when I use apps that need location services.

However, when I go to Settings, Location Services are still on. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Just wondering ...

Thanks.

Marilyn

Try turning it off in settings. Now use an app that uses location. It should auto on. Then shut the app and check settings. It should go back to off. I think if you don't start off it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, now it works the way I expect it.

Maybe an app was messing it up earlier ... and I'm thinking it might have been Crackle (I've since turned off it's location service ... don't need it).

Regardless - it works now (arrow on/off when used) while Location Services (in Settings) stays off when not being used. Thanks for your help.

Marilyn

Last edited:

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
location service stays off. but the particular apps in that settings stay on. so when u use auto location, itll cut work accordingly when needed then shut down. my location setting stays off now. all other apps needing the service works well with auto location. it might be me, but it seems if ive noticed an appreciable amount more of battery life now.

Most reactions

Latest posts