What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best protective layering for back of ipad?

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I can just go with a simple tpu case if I'm only interested in protecting the backside of the ipad, but I was thinking of going for an even slimmer form factor and maybe getting some sort of protective sheet I can lay over the back. Wondering which brand is the best that isn't ridiculously overpriced like the invishield. I believe that kit comes with both screen protector and something for the backside too, but last I remember it costs like $30 which is a bit much for a few sheets of plastic. Any recommendations for lesser known brands?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bodyguardz has a carbon fiber adhesive. Pricing is about the same as Invisishield, but is more durable from my experience. The prices are all about the same if you want something a little more durable rather than just a sheet of food-wrap-like quality of stretch plastic that comes off easily

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am very happy with one of these: http://www.yourpoetic.com/p/56/poetic-thinshell-for-new-ipad-3 It just snaps on, and absorbs all the abuse from my cavalier handling of my iPad. Supposedly, it will work with a smart cover, but I don't use any cover. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Last edited:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know I can just go with a simple tpu case if I'm only interested in protecting the backside of the ipad, but I was thinking of going for an even slimmer form factor and maybe getting some sort of protective sheet I can lay over the back. Wondering which brand is the best that isn't ridiculously overpriced like the invishield. I believe that kit comes with both screen protector and something for the backside too, but last I remember it costs like $30 which is a bit much for a few sheets of plastic. Any recommendations for lesser known brands?

I like and have used on my iPad 3 and mini the skins from Gelaskins. Very tough, but easy to apply. Lots of edgy art choices. What I like is it adds negligible weight, but protects against scuffs and scratches. Fits inside even tight cases like Incipio feather, if you need to add more protection for certain uses. Not cheap, but my skins have worn beautifully for years and look as good as the day I put them on, and I use my devices a lot! Find them here. http://www.gelaskins.com/products/ipad/c/most-popular

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to Gelaskins (as JewelGarden mentioned) - I'd also recommend DecalGirl. I like their designs, also.

It would be a tough decision to pick between the two, IMO, because they are both equally good in regards to fit, function and durability.

Of course, I must admit that I currently have a GelaSkins on order ... but only because DecalGirl doesn't have skins (yet) for the iPad Air. And, I got to protect my "baby"! :)

Still, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Marilyn

OP
Z

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Always have been interested in skins but I'm worried it'll peel off easily. Put the ipad into your bag the wrong angle and that edge of the skin is folded back or whatever. Other than that I wouldn't mind a skin if I had some sort of case on top, like the hard case mentioned earlier.

Strotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are interested, we have some surplus hard covers for iPad 2-4 (but not for anything else), polycarbonate, Smart Cover compatible, very good quality, mirror-like finish. Black or white. Like this (Just no magnets):

plastic-hard-cover-case-shell-iPad-2-3-4_1024x1024.jpg

your price would be $16 including shipping. (Will refund the extra (20+6)-16=$10 back to your card or Paypal. It took us some time to find the right quality case, this is the best available.
Order here.

Most reactions

Latest posts