What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Configuring a German keyboard as an English keyboard

seeking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I bought this keyboard [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]GeneralKeys Bluetooth-Mini-Tastatur für iPad

But for the most part I use the iPad 3 in English

How can I change this German keyboard to an English one?

Thanks
S
[/SIZE][/FONT]

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I bought this keyboard [SIZE=-1]GeneralKeys Bluetooth-Mini-Tastatur für iPad

But for the most part I use the iPad 3 in English

How can I change this German keyboard to an English one?

Thanks
S
[/SIZE]
Go to Settings>General>Keyboard and then tap "Keyboard". Then on the screen that appears, tap "Add New Keyboard". Then scroll down the alphabetical list and tap German. For future typing, under General>Keyboard the German Keyboard will be an option for you to use.
Regards, Andrew

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OB said:
Go to Settings>General>Keyboard and then tap "Keyboard". Then on the screen that appears, tap "Add New Keyboard". Then scroll down the alphabetical list and tap German. For future typing, under General>Keyboard the German Keyboard will be an option for you to use.
Regards, Andrew

I think the OP bought a hardware German keyboard and wants to know how to change it to English.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OB said:
You may no doubt be right. OK That deals with me. Do you have an answer for him now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been checking and haven't been able to find a method to reprogram the keyboard.

Last edited:
OP
S

seeking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 got it right. I live in Germany but continue to use more English and less German. The hardware (the new keyboard for iPad 3) is in German. I can manage the main keypad with alphabet but the function keys and caps are all screwed up. I can guess some since they are simply interchanged, e.g. _ and ? but for the rest, it would be ages before I memorize them all.

Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, I tried that, it did me no good.

I have a similar issue with my keyboard attached to the Windows 7 Desktop but Microsoft (really!) helps me configure the keyboard to accept German and English characters and the upper case letters are not at all a problem. I am dreading that I might be stuck with the German keyboard for my iPad 3. Oh, please. Someone help.

S

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 got it right. I live in Germany but continue to use more English and less German. The hardware (the new keyboard for iPad 3) is in German. I can manage the main keypad with alphabet but the function keys and caps are all screwed up. I can guess some since they are simply interchanged, e.g. _ and ? but for the rest, it would be ages before I memorize them all.

Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, I tried that, it did me no good.

I have a similar issue with my keyboard attached to the Windows 7 Desktop but Microsoft (really!) helps me configure the keyboard to accept German and English characters and the upper case letters are not at all a problem. I am dreading that I might be stuck with the German keyboard for my iPad 3. Oh, please. Someone help.

S

Since we cannot change or there are no available program that will address the problem at hand, why not just put labels on the keys. I tried searching the german keyboard in the hope of knowing the labels and come up with this link.

Most reactions

Latest posts