What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I books problem

davidautomotive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I there, I am new to the forum, but I have a problem, when I look at a catalogue on a website in PDF format, and try to open it
In I books, it briefly appears in PDFs and then disappears, I want to keep it without connecting to my lap top, anybody any ideas?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi David.... - welcome to the forum! :)

First, I would suggest that you 'Force Close' iBooks, i.e. open the multitask bar at the bottom of the screen (double tap the home button or use multi-fingering gesturing, swipe up); press and hold on iBooks until the icon jiggles, then press the 'minus sign'; return to the home screen & try again); if this does not work, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad (Directions HERE, if needed). Please post back your results - might help others.

Second, if you want to check out another great app & PDF reader (among its many features), take a look at GoodReader HERE, just a $5 purchase - this is the program that I use for my PDF files - good luck!

OP
davidautomotive

davidautomotive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidautomotive said:
I there, I am new to the forum, but I have a problem, when I look at a catalogue on a website in PDF format, and try to open it
In I books, it briefly appears in PDFs and then disappears, I want to keep it without connecting to my lap top, anybody any ideas?

I have tried that and it is still the same, if I go to I tunes and download the PDF on my computer and put it into books, it syncs ok with my I pad
And puts the book in the PDF section for it to be put under a different heading, if I go on a website and and download a book or PDF and then
Try to open in I books it appears briefly and then disappears, this is a problem that has just happened, I used to be able to do this ok

OP
davidautomotive

davidautomotive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iboof said:
Hi have you managed to get this sorted out?

No not yet, but I tried again yesterday, and it worked twice, then it would not work the third time, I don't know if it is the size of the file, perhaps I may try using Dropbox?

OP
davidautomotive

davidautomotive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidautomotive said:
No not yet, but I tried again yesterday, and it worked twice, then it would not work the third time, I don't know if it is the size of the file, perhaps I may try using Dropbox?

I have tried to do this in Dropbox, it doesn't work with that either, I tried a small file

iboof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used iBooks for PDFs but it can be iffy at times. File app pro is a good app for all files I haven't had any problems yet and use it all the time.

OP
davidautomotive

davidautomotive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidautomotive said:
I can see what you mean, and the app is very good, but it has the same effect when you try and open it in I books

23july12still not sorted, it may be worth a mention, I have 456 books in I tunes in about 20 different collections, is there a size limit?

iboof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No size limit that I know of, just limited by amount of storage on your device.
Have you tried backing everything up and doing a full reset then reinstall? Takes a while but it has helped me in the past when an 'apple' app has malfunctioned.

iboof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidautomotive said:
23july12still not sorted, it may be worth a mention, I have 456 books in I tunes in about 20 different collections, is there a size limit?

Just another thought, you say that you have the books in 20 different collections.

iTunes isnt storing the 'book' in a random collection or location is it?

Have you tried the search function on the iPad to search for the file name?

iboof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try my last last over lapped your reply before you do the reset etc. good luck let me know how you get on

Most reactions

Latest posts