What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I get motion sickness from iPad 2 :-(

Chriskk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I bought an iPad 2 and I have a BIG problem with how it scrolls text. On Windows machines text is scrolled discretely. That is, when you scroll text, say, on IE8 using a mouse wheel, it moves by several lines at a time (text instantly jump from A to B). In contrast, the iPad 2 scrolls text continuously. Text doesn't move A to B in a discrete manner; it flows from A to B. The result is when I'm scrolling text on the iPad 2, it becomes blurry and I feel like I'm looking at a motion-sickness-inducing 3D first person shooter.

Is there a way to make the iPad 2 scroll like the PC?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - this can't be changed and it's one of the big 'features' of the iPad in that it's considered to be more natural - i.e. when your eyes move down a page of text mine, at least, move smoothly over the text from line to line and don't jump - which I'd find most disconcerting.

The smooth scrolling was one of the big selling points of the iPad to me. It moved me away from the 'jumpy' scrolling of the PC.

Tim

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I notice this too - not sure if it is only on the iPad 2 or not - I don't recall feeling a little nauseas with the 1st gen. I notice it more with the app for this forum as an example which I only really started to use around the time I got my iPad 2. The issue seems to be with the screen refresh rate - if you scroll quickly in something like the forum app with lines across the screen you notice it more but the iPad 1 did this too - the scrolling is very quick but the screen update is not perfectly smooth.
This is easier to notice if you drag the screen up and down quickly.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on the app. For example, Perfect Browser, besides having tabs, and being faster than Safari, has scrolling buttons on the right side of the screen that allow for smooth page scrolling.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect browser is awesome.

I can't wait to jailbreak it so I can make it the default browser (hard for me to believe you have to JB for this)

~John

cocod2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh dear.....:( I just purchased my Ipad2.. with all the bells and whistles and I have menieres and get vertigo..... I so want a Ipad2 tho.... it will come next week.....I hope it will be ok...
I wanted to know how to make things bigger on it.... sighhhh

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wanted to know how to make things bigger on it.... sighhhh

The iPad has an accessibility feature called Zoom, that will let you enlarge anything you can see on the iPad. When it is active, just double tap with three fingers on the screen. Then you can use three fingers to scroll the zoomed screen. Double tap with three fingers again to go back to normal view.

Zoom is on by default.

cocod2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you.. that sounds really great... as I need everything bigger.
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts