What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
From apple.com/icloud

Available in beta now in the U.S. only and requires iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store. Download iTunes 10.3 free.

So you need 4.3.1 and iTunes 10.3

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Also the only feature working at the moment is wireless syncing of iTunes music purchases to all your devices. All the other cloud goodness needs iOS 5.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't the point to get rid of the need to tether the iPad to the PC? Why do I need a new version of iTunes in that case?

Sent using iPF on my 64GB wifi iPad 2 - w00t!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NickHillUK said:
Isn't the point to get rid of the need to tether the iPad to the PC? Why do I need a new version of iTunes in that case?

Because the current iTunes only syncs with a cable.

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The new version of iTunes means if you buy from iTunes on your pc or mac then that is also wirelessly synced to your devices. It's not a requirement but just feature matching all the places you can buy content from.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, maybe I should be clearer, I live in a fantasy world where I can download apps, movies, tv, podcasts and music etc direct over wifi and have all that content 'backed up' in the cloud somewhere. In that case I could then remove and reload content to my hearts content using only my wifi connection and never connect to iTunes or a computer again....

Is that what's coming or did I miss the point?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NickHillUK said:
Thanks, maybe I should be clearer, I live in a fantasy world where I can download apps, movies, tv, podcasts and music etc direct over wifi and have all that content 'backed up' in the cloud somewhere. In that case I could then remove and reload content to my hearts content using only my wifi connection and never connect to iTunes or a computer again....

That certainly appears to be the case......check out the blog of the presentation on engadget.

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
NickHillUK said:

Yes that's the idea, but you will also be able to do the same with the desktop version of iTunes as well, that's why desktop iTunes will be updated.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I just noticed on my iPad that in the apps store I now have a new button that says 'purchased' which lists all the apps I have bought, and whether they are on my iPad or not (if not they have a little cloud next to them) I guess this is new coz I didn't see it before, but I opened the iTunes store in anticipation of the same, but it is not there.....

So close....

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Had a look myself, can't see for the life of me why all the apps I've deleted (some utter rubbish!) from my iPad and PC as well are still listed, there should be a way to delete them permanently

Sent from my iPad using iPF

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are there cos you purchased them and if you ever want to purchase them again you won't get charged

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am in the process of creating a new sub forum to cover iCloud considering it was only announced 4 hours ago it is difficult for users to respond as like most are still reading through the transcripts from the presentation further more it will no become active until autumn / spring ( depending where you live) parts of it are available and yes iTunes needs to be upgraded. I will announce the new sub forums once in place.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. Screen shot from Apple's iTunes iCloud page...

15n0ox2.gif

However the link to the iTunes download page is still for iTunes 10.2.2, not 10.3. Oooops? :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts