What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for Students

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, the online portion of the school doesn't use Blackboard, they use a system called WebTycho. Haven't done much with it yet except view some grades and a syllabus, but I'll have to make some online postings in the next couple weeks, I'll report back.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad is really helpful for students. I have a son who is now studying and he keeps on borrowing my iPad to do his research. I am now planning to buy a new one for him.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smartNote human palm rejection for clean drawing/text

I have been posting a few notes about a new app called smartNote for the iPad. It is still a work in progress by a couple of talented college students but they have nailed it with smartNote.

This is not an iPhone app. There are a couple of iPhone apps with a similar name but this is an iPad only application.

One fantastic feature they just introduced deals with the problem of how do you avoid making unnecessary marks on the iPad page from your palm while using a stylus.

SmartNote for iPad is an app that lets you create a quasi palm rejection area on your iPad screen, that allows you to rest your palm on the screen when you are Inking with a stylus.

Their solution looks like it solves the problem. Essentially you define a rectangle on the screen that you can lay your hand on. This area moves and floats around the screen with your hand therefore no Ink is transferred to the screen in that area.

You define that area in the smartNote Tools Menu.

YouTube - mysmartnote's Channel:)

The very last video, one of the crappy ones shot with a college students camcorder, explains palm rejection.

Arnz98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to handwrite notes the best i have found is note taker hd. Go watch a clip on youtube if you want to see how it works. Much more useful than Penultimate in my opinion.

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'pages'

I am so disappointed to learn that 'pages' is not really suitable for writing academic essays in their completion (including footnotes etc)

Does any one know if there is another app available now that is a replacement for 'pages' - that includes footnotes/ endnotes formatting and word count?

If not how long do you think we will have to wait for apple to address some of 'pages' shortcomings?

any thoughts or advice?:)

aj1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thinking of getting one, do you think it will be good for a ryerson university course??

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to handwrite notes the best i have found is note taker hd. Go watch a clip on youtube if you want to see how it works. Much more useful than Penultimate in my opinion.

found a good way to sync note taker? right now I'm emailing notes to my SpringPad account then organizing them from there. any better way to keep these files in the cloud?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a major problem with NoteTaker. Would love to export my notes to Evernote for tagging and organising.
Have emailed the dev. If enough of us do we may get lucky as he does update regularly.

saifmahmmod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I have question
I want to buy ipad, but I would like to ask you the following:
Could ipad support 3 following languages: English, Russian and arabic in the sametime,
I mean (I know 3 languages, and wanna use, and wanna read books in these 3 languages, does ipad support that or not)

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thread. As a former university teacher, current secondary teacher, I am very interested in how students and teachers are using the iPad. I am also an app geek & love hearing about new apps. I noticed that Noterize has not been mentioned - this is a PDF driven app that enables you to do full annotations but also to add note pages and/or remove just a few pages from a large PDF to create a new file ... Has a nice UI & well worth checking out. I have a lot of note-taking apps both free & paid - 3 full folders actually & am still looking for the perfect one although there are so e really great ones around. If you do a search for " best note taking apps iPad" on Google, there are a few good reviews around but Soundnote & equivalent which let you type, write & have audio that recognizes what notes correspond to which part of the recording are amazing - there are a couple of free ones - Audio memos & audio note lite - these will give you a chance to see if this is something you will find useful. Don't be concerned about memory either - audio is amazingly small with these apps - about 24mg for an hour of lecture. I can also highly recommend Readlle Docs ($5.99) for document/ folder management - it also works as a PDF reader/annotator, is Dropbox friendly etc. Then you can organize ALL of your files & it also works well with Noterize (amongst others). Keep posting about your findings - would love to hear how you go & what turns out to be useful for your needs. ... Good luck with your semester.

Reaction score
iStudiezPro is another good App for keeping track of the schedule and assignments. It is superior to the Calendar, as it allows to schedule exactly during which weeks a certain class is held. You can just say psychology class is every monday 10-10.50 from the 2.2 to 25.7. Great way of keeping track of the schedule. It also imports the already existent data from thecalendar app, so that you can see any overlap immediately.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Penultimate is a great notetaking app.
Inclass app is great for class sheduling, courses, and notes n more also!

avinhalls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad is really helpful for students. They can takes notes in Ipad. I have a son who is currently studying and he keeps on borrowing my iPad to do research. I am nowadays preparation to purchase a new Ipad.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad is really helpful for students. They can takes notes in Ipad. I have a son who is currently studying and he keeps on borrowing my iPad to do research. I am nowadays preparation to purchase a new Ipad.

I typically don't like to type notes. I've finished my undergraduate and master's, both with highest honors. I'm starting law school in the fall. I think I know student life ok. :D

That having been said...

Who is using penultimate or other note taking programs on the iPad? Even with a stylus, I can write any sharper or more defined than if I was using a crayon...:confused:

I'm assuming you mean typed notes. I *could* write an essay on here, but by the time it's finished draft one, i'd shuffle it over to MS word, in order to fix footnotes, margins, and all the other obligatory hooey.

It's a great tool. I can use it for rough drafts. I can read PDFs on it, and even highlight and annotate them. But I don't believe for a second that it's a substitute for pen and paper; just an invaluable counterpart! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts