What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth jailbreaking the iPad 3?

iamamy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm new on here :) I've just got the new iPad and was wondering whether it's worth jailbreaking it or not? I was going to do it on my iPhone 4 but a lot of people said not to so I didn't bother :-( I don't know what to do! thanks :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that it is truly an individual's choice as to whether to jail break an iDevice or not. We can't make that decision for you.

What we can do is point you in the direction of various links and discussion conceding jail break. So, to start, have a look at this thread, which explains what jail break is: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Then, may I suggest you have a nice long browse through the threads in the Hacking section. There is much good discussion about jail breaking and what can be done with the iPad after it is jail broken.

Happy reading and good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this, I was planning to ask exactly the same thing but you beat me to it LOL

Darkangelwitch (Surrey) Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
iamamy

iamamy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
All I can tell you is that it is truly an individual's choice as to whether to jail break an iDevice or not. We can't make that decision for you.

What we can do is point you in the direction of various links and discussion conceding jail break. So, to start, have a look at this thread, which explains what jail break is: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Then, may I suggest you have a nice long browse through the threads in the Hacking section. There is much good discussion about jail breaking and what can be done with the iPad after it is jail broken.

Happy reading and good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot :D I'll have a read!

darkangelwitch said:
Thank you for posting this, I was planning to ask exactly the same thing but you beat me to it LOL

Hahahahah no problem :D I'm still so unsure of what to do :( a few people I know have told me to do it but then others have said not as it voids the warranty so I'll be stuck if it breaks as I can't send it back, ahhhhh :( have you decided what you're going to do yet, whether you're jail breaking or not? :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No haven't decided yet as I have only had mine a couple of weeks. I will do a bit more research into the pros and cons of jail breaking before I decide :)

NoKz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot :D I'll have a read!

Hahahahah no problem :D I'm still so unsure of what to do :( a few people I know have told me to do it but then others have said not as it voids the warranty so I'll be stuck if it breaks as I can't send it back, ahhhhh :( have you decided what you're going to do yet, whether you're jail breaking or not? :)

As long as you can boot into DFU mode, it will never truly be bricked. Nor will they ever be able to tell it was jailbroken. That's the great thing about DFU mode. All you would have to do is boot into it and restore the ipad to factory settings. Then send it back in.

There are many advantages to having a jailbroken device. Custom themes, upapproved apps, tweaks and tricks, etc. My iPad 2 has been a million times more useful to me now that it's jailbroken. There really is no reason NOT to do it. ;)

OP
iamamy

iamamy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NoKz said:
As long as you can boot into DFU mode, it will never truly be bricked. Nor will they ever be able to tell it was jailbroken. That's the great thing about DFU mode. All you would have to do is boot into it and restore the ipad to factory settings. Then send it back in.

There are many advantages to having a jailbroken device. Custom themes, upapproved apps, tweaks and tricks, etc. My iPad 2 has been a million times more useful to me now that it's jailbroken. There really is no reason NOT to do it. ;)

Oh god sorry if I sound stupid but what's DFU mode? haha I'm new to all this stuff :(

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DFU is Device Firmware Update. Follow the link earlier in this thread and it tells you all about it :)

OP
iamamy

iamamy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:
DFU is Device Firmware Update. Follow the link earlier in this thread and it tells you all about it :)

Oh yeah hehe thanks!! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts