What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kentucky - Frankfort & Lexington - Horses & Bourbon!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, on our way to Indianapolis via Louisville (map in my early post), about a 3+ hour drive - Indy is a BIG city w/ a super-long beltway I-465 - their town Carmel is off the northern limb of that road - map below shows that I-65 enters the southern limb of the beltway; his house is located at the top (see blue curved arrow).

We spent three nights at their place and usually arrange a few attractions - this time both new to me. We had tickets to see the Frank Sinatra Jr. show at the beautiful and fairly new Palladium Theater in Carmel - our son was able to get seats up front (about 8 rows from the stage) - the performance was a combination of video clips, personal stories by Frank Jr., and plenty of Frank Sr. songs - over the years the son really sounds like his father and his vocals are in fine form in his early 70s!

A second 'new' experience for Susan & I, was going out to a movie on the BIG screen w/ our son for lunch and a film - the movie house is called the Flix Brewhouse and is a combination of a restaurant, brewery, and movie theater - we needed reserve seats which had 'pull out' trays and menus; a wait person took your food and drink order which was then delivered to you - SO, lunch, craft beers brewed on site, and a great film - Bridge of Spies - with Tom Hanks, a true story about the Cold War - highly recommended.

As usual, we ate well all three nights - on Sunday, back to Kentucky and this time Lexington for 3 nights - Dave :)
Indy_Map.png
Indy_Palladium1.png
Indy_PallidiumInside.png
Indy_FrankJr.png
Indy_FlixOutside.png
Indy_FlixInside.png
Indy_FlixSeats.png
Indy_BridgeSpies.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, on our way to Indianapolis via Louisville (map in my early post), about a 3+ hour drive - Indy is a BIG city w/ a super-long beltway I-465 - their town Carmel is off the northern limb of that road - map below shows that I-65 enters the southern limb of the beltway; his house is located at the top (see blue curved arrow).

We spent three nights at their place and usually arrange a few attractions - this time both new to me. We had tickets to see the Frank Sinatra Jr. show at the beautiful and fairly new Palladium Theater in Carmel - our son was able to get seats up front (about 8 rows from the stage) - the performance was a combination of video clips, personal stories by Frank Jr., and plenty of Frank Sr. songs - over the years the son really sounds like his father and his vocals are in fine form in his early 70s!

A second 'new' experience for Susan & I, was going out to a movie on the BIG screen w/ our son for lunch and a film - the movie house is called the Flix Brewhouse and is a combination of a restaurant, brewery, and movie theater - we needed reserve seats which had 'pull out' trays and menus; a wait person took your food and drink order which was then delivered to you - SO, lunch, craft beers brewed on site, and a great film - Bridge of Spies - with Tom Hanks, a true story about the Cold War - highly recommended.

As usual, we ate well all three nights - on Sunday, back to Kentucky and this time Lexington for 3 nights - Dave :)
View attachment 68322 View attachment 68323 View attachment 68324 View attachment 68325 View attachment 68326 View attachment 68327 View attachment 68328 View attachment 68329
It sounds like you're having a great time on your trip. Both those theatres are great. We have nothing like them where I live.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna & Andrew - I have no idea why I typed in 'Nellie' knowing that 'Nessie' was the correct nickname - can only plead that it was late and I did not do my usual proofing - correction made to the post w/ your help. Dave :)

P.S. Hey - maybe I was thinking about the old song Wait Till the Sun Shines Nellie? We took that boat tour on Loch Ness in the morning, and as I recall, the fog over the water was so dense that we could not see much at all - hoping for some sunshine, I guess - ;) Below, Mary Martin & Bing Crosby from the film Birth of the Blues (1941) - Dave

No problem. :)

How else would I have learned what "Not on your Nelly" means? ;)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lexington, Kentucky - Arrival Day

We arrived in Lexington, KY by early afternoon and decided to visit Henry Clay's Ashland (next post) - Lexington is the second largest city in Kentucky w/ about the same population as our city of Winston-Salem in North Carolina - some description below. Our activities over 2 full days included: 1) Henry Clay's Estate; 2) Kentucky Horse Park; 3) Van Tour Into Kentucky horse countryside; 4) Mary Todd Lincoln House; 5) Woodford Reserve Distillery; and 6) Visit to the fall horse auction at Fasig-Tipton.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for 3 nights on the northern outskirts of the city near I-64 (convenient to a lot of the sites visited) - the hotel is beautifully situated on large landscaped grounds; the interior has a wide open appearance (see several pics below) - the bar offered 40+ bourbons to sample and a wide assortment of flights, if desired.

Lexington is the home of the University of Kentucky, which we did not visit - there is also a large medical center w/ the state's major medical school (I've had a half dozen colleagues who worked there in the Radiology Department). Of course, the U. of KY is most famous sports-wise for baskeball - they are second (behind UCLA) as having won the NCAA championship 8 times (and being in the final four a number of other years - see the image below of the basketball arena and the Wiki list).

So, our first 'full' day involved activities 2 & 3 listed above; and the remainder on our second day. Dave :)

Lexington, consolidated with Fayette County, is the second-largest city in Kentucky and the 61st largest in the United States. Known as the "Horse Capital of the World", it is located on the Kentucky River in the heart of the state's Bluegrass region. With a mayor-alderman form of government, it is one of two cities in Kentucky designated by the state as first-class; the other is the state's largest city of Louisville.[a] In the 2014 U.S. Census Estimate, the city's population was 310,797, anchoring a metropolitan area of 489,435 people and a combined statistical area of 708,677 people.[3]

Lexington ranks tenth among US cities in college education rate, with 39.5% of residents having at least a bachelor's degree.[4] It is the location of the Kentucky Horse Park, The Red Mile and Keeneland race courses, Rupp Arena, the world's largest basketball-specific arena, Transylvania University, the University of Kentucky and Bluegrass Community & Technical College (Source).

Multiple champions - NCAA Basketball (Source)
Teams that have won the championship more than once
Team Wins Years won
UCLA
11 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1995
Kentucky 8 1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998, 2012
Duke 5 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015
North Carolina 5 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009
Indiana 5 1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, 1987
Connecticut 4 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014
Louisville 3 1980, 1986, 2013
Kansas 3 1952, 1988, 2008
Florida 2 2006, 2007
Michigan State 2 1979, 2000
North Carolina State 2 1974, 1983
Lexington1.png
Lexington2.png
Lexington3.png
Lexington4.png
Lexington6.png
Lexington5.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Henry Clay's Ashland

We had a few hours to spare on our arrival into Lexington before checking into the Embassy Suites, so visited Henry Clay's Ashland plantation which is in the city near a now expensive looking residential area and the University of Kentucky. The name for the property drives from the numerous ash trees in the area (ash makes great baseball bats, so think Louisville Slugger). Clay is arguably considered the greatest American politician in the first half of the 19th century - just look at some of his many accomplishment quoted below from the beginning of his Wiki article - in bold, the election years of his 3 attempts to become President of the United States, his highest ambition.

The estate house is actually an expanded re-building of the original one which apparently was poorly made and deteriorating when his son inherited the property and started the project (see floor plan). The tour lasts nearly an hour and our guide was excellent - unique about this house is that at least 80% of the pieces in the place were actually owned by the Clay family (Susan & I have been to many of these historic sites and often only a few objects are original to the houses). Pics below from the web show the outside of the house, gardens, and a view of the library (sans books); plus, a couple portraits of the man in his younger and older years; and finally, his monument in the Lexington Cemetery. Dave :)

P.S. Clay was also known as the Great Compromiser - a sentence toward the end of the Wiki quote: As part of the "Great Triumvirate" or "Immortal Trio," along with his colleagues Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun, he was instrumental in formulating the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.

Henry Clay, Sr. (1777 – 1852) was an American lawyer, politician, and skilled orator who represented Kentucky in both the United States Senate and House of Representatives. He served three non-consecutive terms as Speaker of the House of Representatives and was also Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829. He lost his campaigns for president in 1824, 1832 and 1844.

Clay as a leading war hawk in 1812 favored war with Britain and played a significant role in leading the nation to war in the War of 1812. In 1824 he ran for president and lost, but maneuvered House voting in favor of John Quincy Adams, who made him secretary of state. He ran and lost again in 1832 and 1844 as the candidate of the Whig Party, which he founded and usually dominated. Clay was the foremost proponent of the American System, fighting for an increase in tariffs to foster industry in the United States, the use of federal funding to build and maintain infrastructure, and a strong national bank. He opposed the annexation of Texas, fearing it would inject the slavery issue into politics. Clay also opposed the Mexican-American War and the "Manifest Destiny" policy of Democrats, which cost him votes in the close Election of 1844. Dubbed the "Great Pacificator," Clay brokered important compromises during the Nullification Crisis and on the slavery issue. As part of the "Great Triumvirate" or "Immortal Trio," along with his colleagues Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun, he was instrumental in formulating the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850. He was viewed as the primary representative of Western interests in this group, and was given the names "Henry of the West" and "The Western Star." Being a plantation owner, Clay held slaves during his lifetime, but freed them in his will.

Abraham Lincoln, the Whig leader in Illinois, was a great admirer of Clay, saying he was "my ideal of a great man." Lincoln wholeheartedly supported Clay's economic programs. In 1957, a Senate Committee selected Clay as one of the five greatest U.S. Senators, along with Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, Robert La Follette, and Robert A. Taft (Source).
Clay_Ashland1.png
Clay_Ashland2.png
Clay_Ashland3.png
Clay_Ashland4.png
Clay_Ashland5.png
Clay_Ashland6.png
Clay_Ashland7.png
Clay_Ashland8.png
Clay_Ashland9a.png
Clay_Ashland9b.png
Clay_Ashland9c.png
Clay_Ashland9d.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lexington, Kentucky - Arrival Day

We arrived in Lexington, KY by early afternoon and decided to visit Henry Clay's Ashland (next post) - Lexington is the second largest city in Kentucky w/ about the same population as our city of Winston-Salem in North Carolina - some description below. Our activities over 2 full days included: 1) Henry Clay's Estate; 2) Kentucky Horse Park; 3) Van Tour Into Kentucky horse countryside; 4) Mary Todd Lincoln House; 5) Woodford Reserve Distillery; and 6) Visit to the fall horse auction at Fasig-Tipton.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for 3 nights on the northern outskirts of the city near I-64 (convenient to a lot of the sites visited) - the hotel is beautifully situated on large landscaped grounds; the interior has a wide open appearance (see several pics below) - the bar offered 40+ bourbons to sample and a wide assortment of flights, if desired.

Lexington is the home of the University of Kentucky, which we did not visit - there is also a large medical center w/ the state's major medical school (I've had a half dozen colleagues who worked there in the Radiology Department). Of course, the U. of KY is most famous sports-wise for baskeball - they are second (behind UCLA) as having won the NCAA championship 8 times (and being in the final four a number of other years - see the image below of the basketball arena and the Wiki list).

So, our first 'full' day involved activities 2 & 3 listed above; and the remainder on our second day. Dave :)

View attachment 68330 View attachment 68331 View attachment 68332 View attachment 68333 View attachment 68334 View attachment 68335

Henry Clay's Ashland

We had a few hours to spare on our arrival into Lexington before checking into the Embassy Suites, so visited Henry Clay's Ashland plantation which is in the city near a now expensive looking residential area and the University of Kentucky. The name for the property drives from the numerous ash trees in the area (ash makes great baseball bats, so think Louisville Slugger). Clay is arguably considered the greatest American politician in the first half of the 19th century - just look at some of his many accomplishment quoted below from the beginning of his Wiki article - in bold, the election years of his 3 attempts to become President of the United States, his highest ambition.

The estate house is actually an expanded re-building of the original one which apparently was poorly made and deteriorating when his son inherited the property and started the project (see floor plan). The tour lasts nearly an hour and our guide was excellent - unique about this house is that at least 80% of the pieces in the place were actually owned by the Clay family (Susan & I have been to many of these historic sites and often only a few objects are original to the houses). Pics below from the web show the outside of the house, gardens, and a view of the library (sans books); plus, a couple portraits of the man in his younger and older years; and finally, his monument in the Lexington Cemetery. Dave :)

P.S. Clay was also known as the Great Compromiser - a sentence toward the end of the Wiki quote: As part of the "Great Triumvirate" or "Immortal Trio," along with his colleagues Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun, he was instrumental in formulating the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.

View attachment 68336 View attachment 68337 View attachment 68338 View attachment 68339 View attachment 68340 View attachment 68341 View attachment 68342 View attachment 68343 View attachment 68344 View attachment 68345 View attachment 68346 View attachment 68347
Thanks again for a couple of wonderful posts. There's enough there to keep a tourist busy for weeks if he wanted to see it all. Your hotel is great. Do all the rooms have balconies overlooking the covered atrium?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again for a couple of wonderful posts. There's enough there to keep a tourist busy for weeks if he wanted to see it all. Your hotel is great. Do all the rooms have balconies overlooking the covered atrium?

Thanks again - have a handful more to add! :)

We have not stayed at Embassy Suites much at all but loved this and joined their awards program (part of Hilton) to start getting some points - we are members of the Marriott & Ritz program and had enough points to get two free nights in Frankfort @ the Fairfield Inn & Suites.

I choose this Lexington hotel based on location and Susan upgraded us to a 'premium' suite which included extra amenities, such as 'free snacks' from a machine using a code given us @ the desk - the machine was slightly smaller than the one shown below from an Embassy Suites in Dallas. The suite had two nice room, a sitting area and the bedroom - refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave were available in room. The doors open out onto the corridors, so not a 'personal' balcony which were not present.

The other 3 pics below are of our hotel showing the dining room (free continental breakfast in the morning w/ an omelet chef), the free afternoon snacks/drinks, and the bar where I sipped on 3 or 4 bourbons along w/ some local draft beers over our stay. We are planning on trying other Embassy Suites after this experience and I would definitely stay there again - there are two famous race tracks in Lexington but we did not get a chance to see any races - might be a reason to return - also missed a bunch of attractions including the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame which is off I-75 on our way to Knoxville. Dave
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 4.13.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 4.07.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 4.07.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 4.10.19 PM.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I'm mainly a wine & beer consumer now (a lot of craft breweries have opened in North Carolina and I love IPAs), but use to be a sipper of bourbons, single malt scotch, & cognacs. However, I did buy one bottle from the last distillery we visited (will be part of an upcoming post), i.e. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (shown below) - their 'mash bill' is corn (72%), rye (18%), & malted barley (10%) - 90 Proof (i.e. 45% alcohol) - unique for a bourbon in that there is an additional but short aging in a second new charred oak barrel - referred to by our guide as their 'dessert' bourbon. Dave :)
View attachment 68264
Also bought some Bourbon candy. The combination of bourbon and chocolate is sometimes good, sometimes weird.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again - have a handful more to add! :)

We have not stayed at Embassy Suites much at all but loved this and joined their awards program (part of Hilton) to start getting some points - we are members of the Marriott & Ritz program and had enough points to get two free nights in Frankfort @ the Fairfield Inn & Suites.

I choose this Lexington hotel based on location and Susan upgraded us to a 'premium' suite which included extra amenities, such as 'free snacks' from a machine using a code given us @ the desk - the machine was slightly smaller than the one shown below from an Embassy Suites in Dallas. The suite had two nice room, a sitting area and the bedroom - refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave were available in room. The doors open out onto the corridors, so not a 'personal' balcony which were not present.

The other 3 pics below are of our hotel showing the dining room (free continental breakfast in the morning w/ an omelet chef), the free afternoon snacks/drinks, and the bar where I sipped on 3 or 4 bourbons along w/ some local draft beers over our stay. We are planning on trying other Embassy Suites after this experience and I would definitely stay there again - there are two famous race tracks in Lexington but we did not get a chance to see any races - might be a reason to return - also missed a bunch of attractions including the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame which is off I-75 on our way to Knoxville. Dave
View attachment 68350 View attachment 68351 View attachment 68352 View attachment 68353
I was also impressed with this hotel. I even joined the HHonors program so that we can start earning points for our stays. Our Marriott points paid for both nights at the Fairfield Inn in Frankfort.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also bought some Bourbon candy. The combination of bourbon and chocolate is sometimes good, sometimes weird.

Well, Susan is finally joining the thread - yes all of those distillery gift shops that we visited had chocolates of all types, typically laced w/ bourbon in some fashion - the most 'elegant' tasting was our last @ Woodford Reserve (an upcoming post) - first, it was a sit-down event w/ their two bourbons (Reserve & Double Oaked) ready for trying, along w/ one of their 'bourbon balls' - the tour guide actually led you through the tasting - class place that I'd visit again, but more later - below a pic. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 4.54.10 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kentucky Horse Park

On our first full day in the Lexington area, we visited the Kentucky Horse Park and also took a 2-hour+ tour into the bluegrass countryside to visit several horse farms, which will be the next post - this combination pretty much occupies an entire day (and more if one wants to also do a personal horse ride which is available).

Attractions at the Park include the Visitor’s Center w/ Gift Shop, Hall of Champions, Breeds Barn Show, Museums (especially the International Museum of the Horse), Memorial Statues, and more. Initial images below of the Entrance and Visitor's Center (w/ several Memorial Statues, one to the great Secretariat - subject of a film w/ Diane Lane) followed by a satellite aerial view of the property and a visitor's map.

Our first stop was the Hall of Champions show described below - basically, 'retired' champion horses are led out to the sitting audience (see two pics) - a history of the horse is given, including races and wins along w/ money earned; also, videos are shown on the monitor, usually of the horses in their winning races. Our second show (see next quote - all from the link given above) at the Breeds Barn - horses of different types are presented individually w/ their riders while a narrative is given over the audio system; at the end, all horses (about 5 in our show) return for applause - finally, the horses stand at the fences and members of the audience can talk to the riders and pet the animals (two pics below).

There are a number of museums to visit, but we went only to the International Museum of the Horse (third quote below) following our tour into the countryside - just ran out of time. One could spend a lot of time in this museum (we probably did nearly two hours). A horse drawn tram ride is also available which is about a 15-minute ride around the complex w/ a guide describing the various attractions - a good start. This is a MUST visit if in the area and if you are a horse fan - Susan & I rode horses for 3-4 years, but she got afraid of falling as we grew older and gave up the hobby (and both of us miss the experience and enjoy being close to the animals) - this was a fun day - next post was yet another highlight of this day. Dave :)

HALL OF CHAMPIONS
The excitement of the racetrack is brought to life by the elite group of champion horses that reside at the park's Hall of Champions. Here, Thoroughbred legends Da Hoss, Funny Cide, and Go For Gin, as well as American Quarter Horse Be A Bono, Standardbred Trotter Mr. Muscleman, and Standardbred Pacers Staying Together, Western Dreamer, and Won The West are shown in daily presentations.

BREEDS BARN SHOW
The Kentucky Horse Park honors horses of all breeds and types, and there is no better place to see horses up close and meet some of these “stars of the park” than at the Breeds Barn. During the summer months, the color, sound, and excitement of the show ring are captured twice daily in the Breeds Barn Show. Throughout the winter months, an informative walk-through presentation features several breeds in the barn area. Guests will see a wide variety of breeds that may include adorable American Miniature horses, majestic Mustangs, distinctive Arabian horses, Palominos, Shetlands and much more–see below for a full list.

The International Museum of the Horse (IMH), a Smithsonian Affiliate, examines the role of horses throughout world history, from ancient times to today’s most popular sporting events. In addition to permanent and featured exhibits, the IMH exhibits a collection of equine art from artists around the world.

An 8,000-sf museum wing added to IMH in 2010, The Al-Marah Arabian Horse Galleries focuses on Arabian horses and caters to younger visitors with an interactive multimedia experience. This museum gives visitors a look at writings, films and art that explore the timeline of the Arabian breed in world history.

The American Saddlebred Museum highlights the role Saddlebred horses have played in American history and culture. From a large research library to exhibits and a gift shop, this museum is the world’s best place to learn about American Saddlebreds.

At the Wheeler Museum, visitors can admire a collection of equestrian memorabilia–from antique equipment to trophies, pictures and more. This museum focuses on show jumping horses and competitions.

If you’re a horse enthusiast looking for stellar Lexington museum experience, Plan a trip and immerse yourself in the culture and history of horses around the world.
KYHorsePark_Entrance.png
KYHorsePark_SatelliteMap.png
KYHorsePark_Map.png
KYHorsePark_VisitorsCtr.JPG
KYHorsePark_Secretariat.JPG
KYHorsePark_HallChamps1.png
KYHorsePark_HallChamps2.png
KYHorsePark_Breeds1.png
KYHorsePark_Breeds2.png
KYHorsePark_MuseumHorse1.png
KYHorsePark_MuseumHorse2.png
KYHorsePark_InsideArena.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kentucky Horse Park

On our first full day in the Lexington area, we visited the Kentucky Horse Park and also took a 2-hour+ tour into the bluegrass countryside to visit several horse farms, which will be the next post - this combination pretty much occupies an entire day (and more if one wants to also do a personal horse ride which is available).

Attractions at the Park include the Visitor’s Center w/ Gift Shop, Hall of Champions, Breeds Barn Show, Museums (especially the International Museum of the Horse), Memorial Statues, and more. Initial images below of the Entrance and Visitor's Center (w/ several Memorial Statues, one to the great Secretariat - subject of a film w/ Diane Lane) followed by a satellite aerial view of the property and a visitor's map.

Our first stop was the Hall of Champions show described below - basically, 'retired' champion horses are led out to the sitting audience (see two pics) - a history of the horse is given, including races and wins along w/ money earned; also, videos are shown on the monitor, usually of the horses in their winning races. Our second show (see next quote - all from the link given above) at the Breeds Barn - horses of different types are presented individually w/ their riders while a narrative is given over the audio system; at the end, all horses (about 5 in our show) return for applause - finally, the horses stand at the fences and members of the audience can talk to the riders and pet the animals (two pics below).

There are a number of museums to visit, but we went only to the International Museum of the Horse (third quote below) following our tour into the countryside - just ran out of time. One could spend a lot of time in this museum (we probably did nearly two hours). A horse drawn tram ride is also available which is about a 15-minute ride around the complex w/ a guide describing the various attractions - a good start. This is a MUST visit if in the area and if you are a horse fan - Susan & I rode horses for 3-4 years, but she got afraid of falling as we grew older and gave up the hobby (and both of us miss the experience and enjoy being close to the animals) - this was a fun day - next post was yet another highlight of this day. Dave :)

View attachment 68355 View attachment 68356 View attachment 68357 View attachment 68358 View attachment 68359 View attachment 68360 View attachment 68361 View attachment 68362 View attachment 68363 View attachment 68364 View attachment 68365 View attachment 68366
The domestication of the horse completely changed the development of civilization. This is certainly the place to go to see the history of the horse in human society. Thanks for posting this.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The domestication of the horse completely changed the development of civilization. This is certainly the place to go to see the history of the horse in human society. Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome - we loved the visit and about ready to put together the countryside tour we took the same day - the horse museum is exhausting and could easily take up a half day (and MORE if you want to look at and read everything). Dave :)

P.S. A number of years ago, I remember watching a documentary on the horse but cannot remember the name, producer, or year - looked in the gift shop and few videos were even available. I own plenty of 'horse films' including the one on Secretariat (loved John Malkovich as the gruff trainer) and the movie about Seabiscuit (also have the documentary).

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kentucky Countryside - Horse Heaven

Through the Kentucky Horse Park, bus/van tours are offered and are typically a couple of hours in length - we reserved one and had a great guide who REALLY knew his horse history and was a local - we left the Park and headed west to several 'horse farms' - see the initial map below just to appreciate the importance of horses to this area, i.e. this is a multi-billion dollar business - the next images are from the web showing the rolling green hills of the bluegrass region of Kentucky - white & black fences abound w/ beautiful barns the size and appearance of mansions - amazing to ride along these back two-lane roads (although I prefer the 'white' fences, 'black' is becoming more popular because the paint is apparently a LOT cheaper, according to our guide) - note that those large buildings seen in the background are for horses - WOW!

Our main stop was at the WinStar Stallion Farm - other horse farms for foaling, mares, and yearlings are part of this fascinating culture - the following pics show the entrance into the WinStar Barn and the stable area (there were no unusual smells, as expected - BOY, theses stallions are treated better than people! ;)). One of the images shows the list of 'retired' stallions and their stud fees, i.e. that is for a 'one night stand', and amazing the differences - now these stallions 'service' many mares annually - see the quote below (and click on the 'Source', an interesting article) - these guys cover dozens of females each year, so just as an average, multiply these fees by 100 and then add up all of the stallions - a LOT of money there! Note that S&N follows the stud fee which means the foal must be 'standing & nursing', some of these stallions (the BEST ones) have a no guarantee.

The following pics show Carpe Diem which we petted along w/ many other stallions in this stable, including Pioneer of the Nile, the father of American Pharoah, the winner of the Triple Crown this year - the guy seemed proud of his son ;). We then visited another farm of mares & yearlings - the last three pics are my own w/ horses at the fence (all had hoods on to protect their eyes from flying insects - are humans treated as well?) and in the fenced fields - many came to the fences for petting - the last image is Susan taking a video of one of the horses - probably should see if she had any good ones to post? Dave :)

P.S. note that Pioneer of the Nile's stud fee is $125,000, so if he could produce 100 foals annually that amounts to $12,500,000 - UNBELIEVABLE!

ONLY a small percentage of stallions (2%) who are valued for their performance on the track and “refined” gene pools are judged eligible for breeding. In contrast about 52% of the mares go on to become broodmares.

Most stallions who go to stud these days are young and have only raced a scant number of races during their career. Decades ago the typical number of mares a stallion might cover per annum was in the range of 40 to 50; during the explosion in breeding numbers in the 80’ and 90’s this number escalated to 150 to 160 and in today’s realm of the breeding shed covering as many as 200 mares is not uncommon (Source).
HorseTour_KYHorseFarms.png
HorseTour_KYCountryside1.png
HorseTour_KYCountryside2.png
HorseTour_KYCountryside3.png
HorseTour_WinStar1.png
HorseTour_WinStar2.png
HorseTour_WinStar5.png
HorseTour_WinStar4.JPG
HorseTour_WinStar3.png
HorseTour.JPG
HorseTour2.JPG
HorseTour_Susan.JPG

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kentucky Countryside - Horse Heaven

Through the Kentucky Horse Park, bus/van tours are offered and are typically a couple of hours in length - we reserved one and had a great guide who REALLY knew his horse history and was a local - we left the Park and headed west to several 'horse farms' - see the initial map below just to appreciate the importance of horses to this area, i.e. this is a multi-billion dollar business - the next images are from the web showing the rolling green hills of the bluegrass region of Kentucky - white & black fences abound w/ beautiful barns the size and appearance of mansions - amazing to ride along these back two-lane roads (although I prefer the 'white' fences, 'black' is becoming more popular because the paint is apparently a LOT cheaper, according to our guide) - note that those large buildings seen in the background are for horses - WOW!

Our main stop was at the WinStar Stallion Farm - other horse farms for foaling, mares, and yearlings are part of this fascinating culture - the following pics show the entrance into the WinStar Barn and the stable area (there were no unusual smells, as expected - BOY, theses stallions are treated better than people! ;)). One of the images shows the list of 'retired' stallions and their stud fees, i.e. that is for a 'one night stand', and amazing the differences - now these stallions 'service' many mares annually - see the quote below (and click on the 'Source', an interesting article) - these guys cover dozens of females each year, so just as an average, multiply these fees by 100 and then add up all of the stallions - a LOT of money there! Note that S&N follows the stud fee which means the foal must be 'standing & nursing', some of these stallions (the BEST ones) have a no guarantee.

The following pics show Carpe Diem which we petted along w/ many other stallions in this stable, including Pioneer of the Nile, the father of American Pharoah, the winner of the Triple Crown this year - the guy seemed proud of his son ;). We then visited another farm of mares & yearlings - the last three pics are my own w/ horses at the fence (all had hoods on to protect their eyes from flying insects - are humans treated as well?) and in the fenced fields - many came to the fences for petting - the last image is Susan taking a video of one of the horses - probably should see if she had any good ones to post? Dave :)

P.S. note that Pioneer of the Nile's stud fee is $125,000, so if he could produce 100 foals annually that amounts to $12,500,000 - UNBELIEVABLE!

View attachment 68367 View attachment 68368 View attachment 68369 View attachment 68370 View attachment 68371 View attachment 68372 View attachment 68373 View attachment 68374 View attachment 68375 View attachment 68376 View attachment 68377 View attachment 68378
Those stables are fantastic! They look better than the Queen's stables at Buckingham Palace.

Most reactions

Latest posts