What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirroring from ipad

Sirrom10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, could anyone tell me if you can mirror from an iPad onto an interactive whiteboard so that the class can see what is on my iPad?

Thanks. Alison

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Sirrom10 said:
Hi, could anyone tell me if you can mirror from an iPad onto an interactive whiteboard so that the class can see what is on my iPad?

Thanks. Alison

Hi Allison!
I would say that depends entirely on the connectios/ setup available.
I do not have any experience with whiteboards, so I had to google a bit... seems as if usually a beamer projects the computer's screen to the whiteboard - if it is so and if the beamer does have a HDMI or VGA port, then it is no problem to airplay the iPad's screen onto it. However, interactivity is lost in that case.
This would make your interactive whiteboard a simple screen...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
S

Sirrom10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a VGA connection to the whiteboard, so I would need a cable connection from The iPad to the whiteboard then? Another question, would it be possible to connec wirelessly so that, for instance, one could hand the iPad to a student to change what appears on the board? I suspect not, but it would be good if I could.

i can understand that the interactive aspect would be lost. Thanks so much for your help. I will have a million more questions I'm afraid!

Regards, Alison

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Sirrom10 said:
There is a VGA connection to the whiteboard, so I would need a cable connection from The iPad to the whiteboard then? Another question, would it be possible to connec wirelessly so that, for instance, one could hand the iPad to a student to change what appears on the board? I suspect not, but it would be good if I could.

i can understand that the interactive aspect would be lost. Thanks so much for your help. I will have a million more questions I'm afraid!

Regards, Alison

Wireless connection should be possible via Apple TV, for that you would need both devices (Apple TV and iPad) connected to the same network (WIFI). I do not know (as I am not a proud owner of an Apple TV) if the Apple TV has a VGA output, however there would be adapters to achieve connection.
The other solution would be to have a long enough VGA cable to walk around the classroom - but to be honest, I would ask the student to come forard and not move aroud with the precios device and its' delicate connection....
I do have a HDMI connector and a VGA connector, as I do have to adapt myself to the various equipment available at the locations where I do have to lecture/present my stuff, and I do not believe that the dock connector likes forces...

Millions of questions are highly welcome, please do not forget to search the forum before asking, as there are already trillions of answers and chances are that someone had asked about it before.

:) Glad if I can be of help!
Henning

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
S

Sirrom10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that may be the case. We do not have an Apple TV, nor are we likely to be able to afford one in the near future, so it looks like a cable is the best bet. Thanks so much for your help.

Regards, Alison

pb901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using an Epson projector you can wirelessly connect iPad to it using Epson app (the projector needs to be wifi enabled, , my tech support had to by me a card, and on same network as iPad). You're limited to using files that the Epson app supports (ppt, doc, and a few others) but it is possible to use iPad wirelessly with an epson projector.

I'm waiting for an app that allows me or my students to use the iPad and a stylus mirrored wirelessly with the board/projector. Something like Penultimate on top of images or background files. Hopefully soon...

bobbarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the VGA adapter to display my iPad screen to a Smartboard; you'll want the iPad to be as stationary as possible, as the adapter falls out of the connector-plug on the iPad very easily. I use a Kensington keyboard/case to hold the iPad stationary, and run the adapter under the folded section of the case so there is no strain on it. Works OK, though I'd love to be truly wireless.

Most reactions

Latest posts