What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure why I haven't joined before now. Anyway, here I am. I have had an Ipad since day 1 and I can honestly say that I love it. That being said, I will say that I think Steve Jobs is doing a dishonest to the Ipad community by not allowing flash on this device. With flash support, the Ipad would be the only device for anyone looking to purchase a tablet. I have always been a faithful Apple supporter, macbook pro, iphone, ipad, etc but lack of flash on the ipad has created a "wondering eye" towards the Motorola Xoom. I wish the apple developers would just update the OS to include flash, even if battery life takes a hit, I think it will be well worth it.

Alken

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's good to hear from you. Yes, this is a very contentious issue - but I don't expect Apple to U-turn any time soon.

I read an interesting article recently by a Flash developer. In this article he surprisingly supported Apple's decision not to support Flash. He pointed out that Flash interprets the so-called 'cursor hover', where the cursor is over a link but the link has not been selected. So, for example, on a regular PC you can move the cursor to a link and see, perhaps, a drop-down menu appear - even though you've not clicked on that link.

He pointed out that, with the iPad, this function is not possible because we don't have a 'cursor hover' capability and, therefore, web sites with this functionality would be inaccessible to the iPad.

I'm not saying I agree with him (several tablet computers do support Flash) and there are certainly ways around this problem, but it was interesting that a Flash developer was sympathetic to Apple's view on this.

It will be interesting to see if Apple are forced by the appearance of other tablets with Flash support to reconsider their view on this.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts