What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Video Playlists in iOS 5?

anatomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I updated to iOS 5 (iPad 1) yesterday and needless to say, I am disappointed. My video playlists are gone along with the iPod icon and the Music app will not play the movies, but it will show the lists. It has the name of the list, but it is showing that no "songs" are available.

Can anyone please suggest an alternative to the video playlists of previous versions? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All video's that used to be in the iPod app have been moved to the Videos app. Because most videos are already organized by podcast, TV Show, whatever, I don't think it occurred to Apple that you'd want a playlist.

OPlayer is popular, and does playlists. I've heard AVplayer mentioned, but don't know what features it has. Take a look at both in the App Store.

OP
A

anatomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions.

This whole update is shaping up to be a big hype, more than anything else.

Last edited:
OP
A

anatomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the OPlayer does not import (or rather itunes does not export) playlists and the AV one does not have a lite or free version. I would rather not spend more money on apple products at the moment, especially after the big fiasco with the update

Last edited:

GodzillaMor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted on macrumors because I thought this had to be a problem. Previously Apple always treated music videos as more music than video and that was entirely sensible because then they could be organised and cataloged by album, artist, track etc etc. Until yesterday my 'Music' had a Smart Playlist named Music Videos and it functioned exactly as in iTunes. I updated to iOS 5 yesterday and basically trashed the main functionality of my iPad. I now have 700 movie videos dumped in 'Video'. I can play them but I cant find them because they are randomly sorted by name only. Alternatively I can use 'Music' to view my beautifully crafted playlists of music videos but if I try to play them I get no video, just the audio and a minute still picture next to the title. This is not an improvement! I hope it gets sorted. Either revert to enable videos in 'Music' as on the iPod touch (even after iOS 5) or even better make 'Video' as functional as 'Music' rather than leave it as rubbish as 'Photos'.

GodzillaMor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Archangel. I have already done so but if I look at the response of Apple to the complaints about the degrades they made to Photo I doubt very much will be done.

Disappointment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ios 5 upgrade rendered my ipad completely useless for me. The only reason i purchase an ipod or ipad was the ipod app that allowed me to sort my videos in playlist. I don't even have music on it. I am completely dissapointed and frustrated with the new ipad downgrade. If apple does not fix this problem soo, i will not consider buying an iphone, upgrade to ipad 2, nor will buy any apple products for my children. I mean what's the point in taking the nice feature ipod music app away from people????? Isn't that the mail reason for people who buy the 64 gb ipads for? Why spend all that extra money if you have a junck app replacing your gold ipod app? I want to downgrade my ios. I want my old ipod now. Apple! You just broke my heart!

OP
A

anatomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted on macrumors because I thought this had to be a problem. Previously Apple always treated music videos as more music than video and that was entirely sensible because then they could be organised and cataloged by album, artist, track etc etc. Until yesterday my 'Music' had a Smart Playlist named Music Videos and it functioned exactly as in iTunes. I updated to iOS 5 yesterday and basically trashed the main functionality of my iPad. I now have 700 movie videos dumped in 'Video'. I can play them but I cant find them because they are randomly sorted by name only. Alternatively I can use 'Music' to view my beautifully crafted playlists of music videos but if I try to play them I get no video, just the audio and a minute still picture next to the title. This is not an improvement! I hope it gets sorted. Either revert to enable videos in 'Music' as on the iPod touch (even after iOS 5) or even better make 'Video' as functional as 'Music' rather than leave it as rubbish as 'Photos'.

100% agree. This is beyond infuriating especially as I use my iPad for work and all my videos are related to my work. I spent hours organizing everything into playlists which are displayed but are marked as "empty" because they are not audio!

What the hell is wrong with people at Apple? I am starting to think that Android is a better alternative!

The1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree . Wouldn't,t it make sense to have the same order and usability as on your desktop n iTunes . I got 100s of videos for study and have some in several playlist. I had a bit of a workaround to change them into a tv show but that doesn't even work under ios5. Come on apple just make it the same as the desktop version. That's way more apple like than having to do work arounds.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You know, the only reason I updated my iPad on the first day was because absolutely nothing on it is critical, or even terribly important. I have other methods (not always as convenient) to do anything important. No matter how hard a company tries, there will always be some people that will be irritated, inconvenience, or outright lose stuff when there is a major update. The alternative is to change nothing.

For those who got caught by this fact of computing for the first time, sorry, live and learn.

For those who knew better but for some reason treated the iPad different than a computer upgrade, shame on you.

Ok, I'm done being grumpy for the day.

OP
A

anatomia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You know, the only reason I updated my iPad on the first day was because absolutely nothing on it is critical, or even terribly important. I have other methods (not always as convenient) to do anything important. No matter how hard a company tries, there will always be some people that will be irritated, inconvenience, or outright lose stuff when there is a major update. The alternative is to change nothing.

For those who got caught by this fact of computing for the first time, sorry, live and learn.

For those who knew better but for some reason treated the iPad different than a computer upgrade, shame on you.

Ok, I'm done being grumpy for the day.

No offence but I feel your comment missed the mark. The problem is not changing a running system but that the update is extremely illogical, even for Apple. The little tweaks that are supposed to be revolutionary ended up making the end user's life more difficult.

Why does their own media player cannot play video files? Who would have though this would happen?

Also, many iTunes bought apps were issuing notices that their applications and programmes will no longer run on the older system. Whether that is a marketing ploy or not, I am not versed enough in IT sorcery to determine that for myself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No offense taken.

They moved all video media to their Videos app. It used to be (kind of) split between the two. In reality anytime you played a video in the iPod app it opened the Videos app to play it. And playlists were simply ways to organize. You could not actually play a list of videos. At best you had half crippled playlists, and those because the app wasn't smart enough to deal with video except to pawn it off on another app. In the end the iPod app was just doing a poor imitation of handling video, and there were quite a few threads on the forum complaining about it.

Apple cleaned up the apps and made it clear which app has what function. They could have gone the route of making the iPod app handle everything; but we've seen how well tacking things on worked for iTunes. In this case they decided to make a clean break and have two specialized apps. It would have been nice if they had included playlist capability in the Videos app, and/or even made it possible to migrate a playlist. I don't see how they could have done it though, since playlists were never tagged in any way as being music or video.

All in all I think you'd do better to ask Apple to give you fully functional playlists in the Videos app than complain about them missing in the new Music app.

BTW, you should be able to create a kind of playlist for videos. If you edit the Get Info for each video in iTunes you can group and sort them with show, season, and episode entries. That should put them in in their own group/show/whatever lists in the Video's app when you sync. I haven't tried this recently, but I used to fix misnamed and sorted TV episodes this way.

Disappointment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No videoplaylist - temporary solution found

He llo everyone,

For those who were as frustrated as hell as I was by the loss of playlist option from ios 5, I found a temporary solution that worked for me.

I found a free app on the app store "Player Xtreme" and gave it a try. It allows you to load all of your videos into folders and subfolders. It allows you to reorganize by creating folders, drag and drop items, delete items (no re-naming) and surprisingly it does play most of video formats!!! Wow! However, it needs some improvements that I suggested to the developper in an email.

1- It does not allow you to view them in a list view, rather in a thumbnail fashion, but still better than the video app since it does not allow folders/subfolders creation, so your videos are more organized this way.

2- it does not let you see the battery status on your ipad, so when the battery is low to charge.

3- it does not allow re-naming folders, so you if you made a mistake naming a folder, you just have to creat a new one and move the videos from the wrongly named to the correctly named folder using the cut and paste option within the application itself which is an awesome feature.

I had to erase all of my videos from the video app and load them into this one, spent all evening doing that but it was worth it. Otherwise I was feeling really depressed, I have nearly 700 video clips that were in multiple playlists previously and were moved to the video app and all sorted by numbers, like I have 30#1, 30#2, 30#3 and so on, so I could not browse in sequence. You get the picture.

I think if more people complain to apple they will do something about it. I hope Apple fixes the playlist issue in videos app soon. For now, I am using it to remedy the problem while waiting for Apple to wake up!. I hope it helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts