What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing video files on the telvision using the I Pad

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to play video files, that are on my I Pad, on the television.

There are several cables that appear to be suitable but I am not sure which one I should be using.
What set up should I be using?
I am thinking it should b the 30 pin to HDMI ?
Am I correct?
Will this transfer sound and video from the I pad (third generation) to the television or am I thinking of the wrong cable
I see there is a composite cable set up, but my thinking is that HDMI is always a better connection nowadays?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HDMI is the only choice if you want a single cable to carry both video and audio.

I'm not sure a cable will do this job alone. You may need AppleTV to do it. I'm sure someone will come along who knows this for certain.

On the subject of cables, don't be suckered into buying expensive HDMI cables. With this standard, it either works, or it doesn't. There is no middle ground.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest thing is to get the Apple TV. That way, you can wirelessly stream to you TV through the Apple TV box. Makes life easier with no cords... but, it's a $99 (USD) option.

So, you can buy an adapter for the iPad. There are VGA adapters and SV adapters. They connect to your iPad. Then, you need the cable to get from the iPad/adapter to the TV. You can also get cables that are adapters, too.

All of this depends on what kind of TV you are using and want to connect to.

My suggestion is to browse the Apple store app (it's free) and see what cables and adapters are available for your TV.

Marilyn

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The Apple box is a rather expensive option although it sounds good. I always thought you needed an Apple TV?
I am well aware of cable rip offs having heard of even well known stores trying it on with customers. Gold connections and all that crap. I borrowed a vga cable set up from my daughter and after some trial and error managed to play the rented video. My tv does not have a usb connection, so that is ruled out. It does have hdmi tho.
Its just that I am unsure if the apple hdmi to 30 pin connector will do whst i want.

Most reactions

Latest posts