What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina screen - only on iPad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, losing 50 percent of their brightness in 5 years really destroys resale value.

Might be a consideration for some. I don't see it as a prob, because I don't expect any piece of tech to have resale value after five years. I have yet to resell a device. What I don't give away, I keep. I don't see myself using a mobile device for five years, either.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Might be a consideration for some. I don't see it as a prob, because I don't expect any piece of tech to have resale value after five years. I have yet to resell a device. What I don't give away, I keep. I don't see myself using a mobile device for five years, either.

For mobile tech, I agree 100%. If a TV or monitor had these issues, that would definitely be a problem for me. When I buy a 67-inch screen, I plan to use it for 10 years. Just like my cars. But mobile stuff, naw, I get bored with it well before 2 years. If it were not for a contract, I'd probably upgrade my phone once a year. I'm already wishing I could get the next iPhone, though I'm not sure what else they could add that would be of any additional benefit. With the iPad, I think all I really need now is 128GB. After that, I think I'm done. I'm worried that both the tablet and phone markets are mature now. Maybe I will be proven wrong, and frankly, that will be a good thing, but I'm not seeing it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For mobile tech, I agree 100%. If a TV or monitor had these issues, that would definitely be a problem for me. When I buy a 67-inch screen, I plan to use it for 10 years. Just like my cars. But mobile stuff, naw, I get bored with it well before 2 years. If it were not for a contract, I'd probably upgrade my phone once a year. I'm already wishing I could get the next iPhone, though I'm not sure what else they could add that would be of any additional benefit. With the iPad, I think all I really need now is 128GB. After that, I think I'm done. I'm worried that both the tablet and phone markets are mature now. Maybe I will be proven wrong, and frankly, that will be a good thing, but I'm not seeing it.

Agreed on different lifespan expectations for different items.

For tablets and smart phones, which require firmware upgrades and app developer support, I doubt that five years is viable for most users.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think on a smartphone, it is a lesser issue. However, a lot of people like to keep their equipment as long as it works. That is why there is room for both technologies. Someone is missing a great opportunity with cell phones. There is a demand for cell phones without the data plans. Preferably with large keypads and easy to use. My wife will never get rid of her old LG as long as it is supported, or she cannot find replacement batteries, whichever comes first.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Come to think of it, my blackberry curve is 4 years old..... I use it as an alarm clock, but it still works, though it seems ancient. My droid is 2 yrs old. I still have apps on it I want to used.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think on a smartphone, it is a lesser issue. However, a lot of people like to keep their equipment as long as it works. That is why there is room for both technologies. Someone is missing a great opportunity with cell phones. There is a demand for cell phones without the data plans. Preferably with large keypads and easy to use. My wife will never get rid of her old LG as long as it is supported, or she cannot find replacement batteries, whichever comes first.

My parents have senior phones with giant buttons, few options and no data plan. They've available for purchase new.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come to think of it, my blackberry curve is 4 years old..... I use it as an alarm clock, but it still works, though it seems ancient. My droid is 2 yrs old. I still have apps on it I want to used.

I have a 4-year-old iPhone 3G that was stunted by Apple's last firmware upgrade. Web browsing grinded to dial-up speeds. I could've continued using it, but without Web browsing, it was a joke, rather than a smart phone.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose as an mp3 player it would be alright.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose as an mp3 player it would be alright.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Might be if not for so few GBs (I have 36GBs of music) and a battery that stopped holding a charge. I got about two years out of it, enjoyed it and moved on. So many new devices, so little time!

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of my old iPods are kept on devices with 30 pin connectors. My old 2nd generation iPod Nano is now the music source for my alarm clock. My iPod Touch is on a music player in my shop. I have playlists which I can download depending on the mood.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

That was not my point. For people who sell their unit to offset an upgrade after two years will not get as much on a unit with set lifespan. The future is likely to be homes with tablets for every family member and many of those will be used units... especially for kids and lower income situations.

I tend to be more like you. I probably wouldn't have even sold my first gen except I have a family member who said it would help her with her schooling. Even still she ended up getting a 32gb 3g model with multiple cases and a keyboard for $250. Normally I'd just give it away but the purchase was way too fresh.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was not my point. For people who sell their unit to offset an upgrade after two years will not get as much on a unit with set lifespan. The future is likely to be homes with tablets for every family member and many of those will be used units... especially for kids and lower income situations.

I tend to be more like you. I probably wouldn't have even sold my first gen except I have a family member who said it would help her with her schooling. Even still she ended up getting a 32gb 3g model with multiple cases and a keyboard for $250. Normally I'd just give it away but the purchase was way too fresh.

I considered the scenario you mentioned about resales at the two-year mark, etc., but most consumers aren't going to have a clue about screen differences like this.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the buyer. Usually when I buy something common on Ebay I look to see what the average price has been on other sales so I don't over-spend. So it may not be all in what someone notices but in what the market dictates.

In any event, I am glad not to have that problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts