What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Textbooks on ipad2

prettyfacejessy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I'm not sure if this is possible but if i download the PDF format or torrent for my text books, can I sync them into iBooks and view from there? I'm attending summer school next month and trying to consolidate as much book carrying as possible.

Sent from Jessy's iPad2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, no problem with PDF format books in iBooks

What format are the torrent downloads? Worst case you might need to convert them to a supported ebook format.

Consider getting Goodreader as well as it can read lots of different formats

-t

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I visited a website yesterday (on the iPad of course) and noticed they had their monthly newsletter available as a PDF download. Not knowing how it would work, I clicked the link and found the PDF downloaded and installed itself on the bookshelf in a separate PDFs section. Now I'm wondering how to get PDFs there that come from other sources - like dropbox. I need to experiment with that.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I visited a website yesterday (on the iPad of course) and noticed they had their monthly newsletter available as a PDF download. Not knowing how it would work, I clicked the link and found the PDF downloaded and installed itself on the bookshelf in a separate PDFs section. Now I'm wondering how to get PDFs there that come from other sources - like dropbox. I need to experiment with that.

You can make Dropbox "Open In" a PDF file in iBooks.

While in the Dropbox app (on your iPad), open a PDF file. In the upper right hand side, you'll see an arrow. Press on it and you'll get an "Open In..." dialog box; iBooks should be one of the options you can select. Press on iBooks and the app will open with your PDF loaded (showing).

You'll then see, if you close the PDF file, that it shows up in iBooks under PDF's (in "Collections"). As far as I know, it'll stay there until you delete/remove it.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. To keep this somewhat on topic, I've stored textbooks in Dropbox and then opened them with iBooks, Kindle, Stanza and/or Bluefire readers. Awesome thing, that Dropbox! So, you could download any type of ebook and stick it in Dropbox ... the "Open In" function will then allow you to, well, open the ebook in almost any reader you have loaded on the iPad...

Most reactions

Latest posts