What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3.2.2 got you down? There's no jailbreak seemingly in sight, you can't downgrade cuz you forgot or didn't have the chance to save your SHSH with Cydia, you've tried lots of tricks but nothing works. Well, to pass the time, I suggest trying to UPGRADE! That's right, even YOU can upgrade to 4.2 beta, and the best part, you don't have to have a developer account or be registered with apple to do it!! Simply download the iOS 4.2 beta relese (google, it's easy to find). Then, here's the "big secret": option-click the UPDATE button in iTunes and select the 4.2 beta IPSW and let it run. Viola! You got multitasking and other fun features. Now, it's not as good as a jailbreak, but it will at least satisfy you until there is a public release of 4.2 and a jailbreak.

Hope this Helps!!!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
3.2.2 got you down? There's no jailbreak seemingly in sight, you can't downgrade cuz you forgot or didn't have the chance to save your SHSH with Cydia, you've tried lots of tricks but nothing works. Well, to pass the time, I suggest trying to UPGRADE! That's right, even YOU can upgrade to 4.2 beta, and the best part, you don't have to have a developer account or be registered with apple to do it!! Simply download the iOS 4.2 beta relese (google, it's easy to find). Then, here's the "big secret": option-click the UPDATE button in iTunes and select the 4.2 beta IPSW and let it run. Viola! You got multitasking and other fun features. Now, it's not as good as a jailbreak, but it will at least satisfy you until there is a public release of 4.2 and a jailbreak.

Hope this Helps!!!

only with a hacked version of iOS 4.2.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if I get this hacked version of iOS:

1. Will it break anything.

2. Will I be able to get the official update later on

3. Can someone PM me a link please :p

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually no, you don't need a hacked version. It's the apple release. There are several reports of this on other forums. It works. In fact I'm running ios 4.2 beta right now from a non-modified IPSW. If you mean hacked as in modified plists, give me evidence that someone has the keys to decrypt and modify and a link to a hacked ipsw cuz if you have them I would like them to do a bit of hacking myself.

Mikestoolz doesn't know what he's talking about here, it does work with a non-modified version on the 4.2 beta.

No, it won't hurt anything but it is a beta version so keep that in mind, and yes, you will be able to update to public once it's released as long as apple is signing the shsh files ( they will ). As for a link, type in iOS 4.2 beta iPad download in google. You'll find it.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't work. iTunes will blobk you if your not registered to install it forcing you to downgrade in order to use your ipad again.

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury, seriously. It does work, my iPad is living proof. If you command- click restore, yes, it will not work and you will be forced to downgrade to 3.2.2, i know from first hand, but if you command-click update, it does work. When you have a spare 5 minutes, back up and try it. It works and there are many many other ipad owners who are experiencing the same thing. I am currently running iOS 4.2 beta 1 and I don't have a developers account. I will defend this with my life! Someone, please try it!!!

airwake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually did this and it didn't work. I found a 4.2 ispw, alt clicked on restore(I'm on a mac) and uploaded the os. Once it rebooted, itunes opened up telling me that it could not authenticate my information with their developer program and could not activate my iPad. Lost my jailbreak for nothing.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if it does work, I know several people who have "downgraded" back to 3.2.2 after installing a completely 100% "kosher" Apple-approved version of 4.2 because of some major issues, mostly surrounding 3G connectivity. It is a beta and there will most certainly be tweaks and adjustements along the way until the "golden" version is released in November.

Of course, YMMV!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cuz you didn't follow directions. Don't click on restore, click on update. It does work.

Hi, I am yet trying as you say in one of my iPad (WIFI 16) i will give my comment when it’s done :) and some day later ..

I hope i will not have to downgrade :(

[edit] : yet that work like a charm …. Thank’s for share the good tip’s

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-24 at PM 04.51.05.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-09-24 at PM 04.51.05.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Charlie1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't find the iOS 4.2

I don't find the iOS 4.2 on the net :mad: I've searched in Google and found nothing. I really wanna try out the new iOS 4.2 :D

Maybe somebody can help me??

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not a moderator and I do not speak on behalf of the forum management, but if someone wants to help you locate iOS4.2 in any other way than through Apple, I respectfully suggest that they do it through a PM and not on the open forum.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not a moderator and I do not speak on behalf of the forum management, but if someone wants to help you locate iOS4.2 in any other way than through Apple, I respectfully suggest that they do it through a PM and not on the open forum.

So if we follow your thinking we also cannot talk about Jailbreak app’s …

and i didn’t see any link … not everybody have the knowledge for search some special file … so i think we should help them and also respect the rule of the forum :D

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use google and after putting the name of the file in the search box add filetype:torrent
<stares around vaguely and shuffles off whistling quietly>

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if we follow your thinking we also cannot talk about Jailbreak app’s …
If you are talking about "hacked" apps, that is completely correct! You can not talk about theft of software on this forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts