What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another noob question....suggestions for case/cover

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok now that I have this thing, it's time for accessories! Of course that's where they get us isn't it? Lol. I picked up a uber cheap cover for 5 bucks from Five Below but of course it's a POS and I need something a little higher quality. I am not sure if I want a combo case/keyboard or just a case-cover. Some of the case/keyboard covers are absolutely drool worthy but they are also redonkulously expensive especially for the slimmer ones which are the only ones I'd be interested in. The Apple smart case seems interesting though. Can anyone tell me about it? How much protection does it offer the devices at the corners in case it is dropped?

Any suggestions in this area would be greatly appreciated. Especially on where to get the lowest price.

Nolander07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an iPad in late January and got a smart case at the same time. It has been in it ever since. I like it a lot. The outside is kind of rubbery (not TPU), and has a good grip surface. The inside is kind of like cloth. The front cover has a magnet, like most, but it seems to work well. It fits the iPad well and works great. I have not used any other type of case, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I would recommend the smart case.

Sandifords

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought case/cover from Amazon, yes more exspensive, but real leather, use as a stand and also puts ipad in auto sleep mode when needed, cost £12.95, has outlets for controls in the right place etc.

MadJoe86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep my iPad 4 as well as my IPhones, in Otterbox Defenders. I have been using Otterbox products for years now, with nothing but good results. I tried the Griffin Survivor case for IPad, and wasn't pleased. The best feature about the Otterbox Defender, is the stand/ screen shield. It covers the screen when you are transporting the device, and protects it even more if dropped or something gets set on it. When used as a stand it is very sturdy and has perfect viewing angles.

canuck101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Logitech Ultrathin cover and it was well worth the Apple Store price. But it is only a "cover" - not a case. Grit, dust, dirt etc would easly get into it if you just tossed it into a bag or back pack. However it's slim enough that it fits in the envelope case (made by moi) that I was using. It is designed to be used in landscape mode - it's held in place by magnets so this does not work for the short side. Some reviews say it can be used in portrait mode but it is not stable that way.
It really depends on how & where you are using your ipad. My carrying about is mostly from room to room not so much from place to place so this is great for me. Also, I am using it as much for creating content as consuming content so my need for a keyboard is huge and the screen keyboard is woefully insufficient.
However, later on this year I'll be heavily using the (downloaded - not web based) extended London UK A-Z map. So I'd be interested to know what others recommend for this kind of use - without the ultrathin keyboard in this instance.

OP
K

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well today I picked up a Solo case/cover. Pretty decent for 30 bucks.

Mitchell.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using so many different cases on my ipads I can say that it comes down to preference and what suits your uses. If you use your ipad every day and take public transport to and from work or college, you'll probably want to go for a protective case that covers all parts of the device when closed.

If it is going to be used mostly at home then you may as well get something like a smart cover or thinner folio case. Since you are less likely to need protection at home you may as well get something that doesn't add bulk to the ipad but will still protect it from stuff like falling keys or dust.

I have had both hardened plastic and silicon cases that cover the back of the ipad, and found little use to them beyond better gripping. The silicon one collected dirt and grime easier and the plastic one chipped at the edges over time. These were just my experiences with products of my own of course.

The case that I settled on was this one . I have had it for a year and in my opinion it is perfect, it doesn't add any weight because you take the ipad out to use it, and it protects it when you are carrying it around better than something like a smart cover. All down to preference though, some people like 24/7 protection for their ipads, and that is understandable. I know first hand how expensive repairing an ipad can be :(

Edit: sorry for not being able to suggest any low-price stores though, I wouldn't know anything about stores outside Australia, and I don't use online stores much.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts