What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia Telstra Pre-paid microsim

Lancerail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Traveling to Australia next month, and planning on getting a pre paid Telstra micro sim at the airport on arrival. Telstra's instructions say you need to connect with iTunes as part of the set up process.
Is this really true???
Would kind of defeat the purpose of traveling with an iPad if you have to carry a lap top top to connect it to.

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
My friend in Canberra says Telstra is very expensive, look at Vodaphone AU, that looked ok at AUD30 for 4gb over 30 days
Or go to apple store for help, and use their free wifi as well.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lancerail said:
Traveling to Australia next month, and planning on getting a pre paid Telstra micro sim at the airport on arrival. Telstra's instructions say you need to connect with iTunes as part of the set up process.
Is this really true???
Would kind of defeat the purpose of traveling with an iPad if you have to carry a lap top top to connect it to.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

No, you don't need to connect to iTunes for this. I believe this is if you get a sim when you buy your iPad for the initial setup.
It will cost $30au and you will have 3gb for 30 days. It will need to be activated and they will do this instore for you. You will need ID to purchase one though, but it is a simple process. I recommend Telstra for this, Vodaphone may look cheaper as far as getting 4gb of data, but Vodaphone does not have a very good coverage, Telstra is the best in my opinion and is the one that I have. You can also buy a sim on their website and have it mailed to you, but there are shops in all major shopping centres and at the airport. If you need any further information, I am only too happy to help you. I live in Brisbane, which is in Queensland. I hope you have a wonderful time!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very informative
I've a while to go yet, but looking forward to visiting my friends over there.
I'll stick with Telstra then as it looks like the best option for us.
Thanks Again

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dennykrane said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very informative
I've a while to go yet, but looking forward to visiting my friends over there.
I'll stick with Telstra then as it looks like the best option for us.
Thanks Again

Oh you are coming too, that's great. Yes Telstra is very good and is the original carrier here. Everyone I know who has bought Vodaphone has been sorely disappointed and have always changed. Thats why they are cheaper but the dropouts will drive you crazy. Let me know if you need any more info. Enjoy!

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks leelai,
Do you have any info on portable wifi in Australia, I thought this might be better to get for using 2 iPhones and an iPad whilst on holiday.
We can use viber for speech and maps/sat nav all together on one PAYG sim.?
Good idea??

Thanks in advance
Dennykrane

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dennykrane said:
Thanks leelai,
Do you have any info on portable wifi in Australia, I thought this might be better to get for using 2 iPhones and an iPad whilst on holiday.
We can use viber for speech and maps/sat nav all together on one PAYG sim.?
Good idea??

Thanks in advance
Dennykrane

Yes there is but you need to pay for the device and the price is $129.00 with 3gb allowance but will connect up to 5 devices.
Would be cheaper to just get sims for your phones and iPad unless of course you plan on returning.
Here is a link
http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/mobile-broadband/pre-paid-mobile-broadband/
For your phones you can either get a $2 starter sim and then a recharge for $20 on a simplicity plan or you can buy a $30 prepaid starter kit which includes a lot more for the extra money. Depends how much you will be using them. That link will provide all the info on the phones too. There is many different ways with phones as regards to data allowances, the choice is yours.
My kids use Viber all the time here, so no problem there. 3G iPads actually don't need a sim to work for GPS. Have a look at the Navfree app, they have one for Australia and I use this all the time without a sim. The regular maps work well too. If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts are you travelling to?

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi leelai,
Thanks for the info
My wife and I will be coming to Australia in November this year
We will spend a couple of days in Sydney then driving to queanbeyan where our best friends are now living.
I'd like to use the iPad for my blogs, emails etc as I have fat fingers and I get a lot of tryping errers on the iPhone (lol)
I've got Global Navi app, but I'll try any.
Can I post my blogs on here....not sure of rules about personal blogs

Thanks
Andy Silman

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Andy, that should be a nice time of year to come, I haven't stayed in Queanbeyan but I've driven through there a couple of times. Sydney has a lot to offer, the Harbour, the Sydney Opera House a ferry ride to Manly, all very nice, I have family there and love to visit.

Yes I agree about the iPhone and once you've typed on an iPad it's hard to go back to the phone.

We don't allow links to blogs, but a few photos in the off topic area won't hurt.

Have a wonderful trip, at least you have time to plan it all.

Just saw your new post, from England, how nice, my mothers family came from there.

Last edited:

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi leelai,
When we get to Australia we plan to stay in Sydney for 2 days, I have a list of places and you mentioned the first 3 !!!
Our friends visited all 3 and sent us photos, they recommended Manly.
Still haven't quite planned transport as the train is expensive due to gate passes, and we want to get My Multi day passes which include all train,bus and ferry services, but we'd have to pay a gate pass fee at the airport, so we are going straight to Bondi on the bus, then get the bus to Coogee where we are staying for 2 nights, then dump the luggage and get all touristy.
We are picking up a hire car on day 3 (15th November) then driving to Queanbeyan.
Our friends will be putting us up until the following Thursday .
I'll be on the forum anyway, I'll post in off topic with photos for all.

AS

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi col.bris
We are coming in November and staying near Canbera.
My friend Mike was originally emigrating to Mackay, but when the economies turned the job was no longer available, so
He forgot about it for 2 years and then thought he'd try again and it happened.
We miss them all like crazy, but we got viber and emails and Skype so it doesn't seem so bad.
I don't know how far Canberra is from Brisbane, but if I could have got more time off I wanted to arrive at Sydney then depart from Brisbane,
As we wanted to visit Brisbane and Mackay amongst other places.
Unfortunately it can't be, this time.
Maybe when I retire and get my lump sum I'll try for a few months over there.

AS

Most reactions

Latest posts