What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back Up

L.J.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it necessary to do backup before updating to 8.02? I still am on ios7 on ipad2. If necessary, how do you do backup? Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, making a back-up on a regular basis is a good idea, regardless if there is a new iOS to upgrade to.

So yes, I would say you need a backup just because you never know what matter happen. Computers do mess up.

There are two way to make a backup - via iTunes and using iCloud.

To make a backup in iTunes, connect the iPad to the iTunes the iPad was initially synced with. Then, select the Backup prompt and let iTunes do its "magic." By the way, this is a more comprehensive backup.

To make a backup via iCloud, you do not need iTunes (or a computer for that matter). On your iPad, navigate to the iCloud line in your Settings app. If backup is off, turn it on and then allow iCloud to make a backup.

Again, may I suggest you make a backup often, just in case. It's safest, IMHO.

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad is able to backup on it's own, if you "allow" this. It will backup automatically, if enabled, when it's locked (black screen, but not turned off), charging and connected to Wi-Fi. It will do this once a day, so if you have to charge it for a second time, it won't back up.

The backup will be saved to iCloud.

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experience on backup....

I backup to iTunes and during the past week I had to do a restore. I had not carefully read a link previously posted here on what exactly was backed up, I figured data was data. Well, that link specifically mentions that mail is not backed up and one of my accounts is a pop3 acct. So I lost all of that data (sent/recd email) on the restore. Most folks nowadays are using imap so it does not effect most folks. pop3 is a different situation.

So be sure you know what is being backed up or you may be unpleasantly surprised. I have my pop3 inbox email on more than one computer so it's not like it's gone forever, it's just gone from i-devices. I did lose sent email tho because I didn't cc: myself.

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just discovered that if I edit my Mailboxes I can select to display the folder "All Sent". When I do that I find the email sent from my pop3 that I 'lost' when I did a restore. It is intermixed with other mail accounts that I use.

It's not the best solution but it is better than having no sent email. Hopes this helps someone who loses their pop3 mail.

Most reactions

Latest posts