What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does clearing/reseting iPad notify user?

Emoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I registered since I couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

I have a friend who is selling their iPad that she doesn't use. However, while I had planned to buy it, she is going through a messy divorce and the ex set up the iPad when he visited last under his account. It seems his iTunes and icloud account are on it. She knows the password to remove it and reset and I have confirmed this is HER iPad, not his in anyway, but I worry about purchasing it and her reseting it. I have heard that it may notify the user that the iPad has been disconnected from the account and after hearing how he behaves (long story I won't bring up any more here) I do not want to induce drama.

If there isn't any notification it should be fine, but what is the result if she resets it and I buy it?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Emoni! Welcome to iPF!

When she removes the iCloud account from the iPad, the email address that is connected to it will get a notification that "Find my ipad" has been disabled on the device. If it's his email address, he will get this notification.

It doesn't matter which iPad this is.

She will have to remove the iCloud account first on the iPad, just to make sure that it will be done right, so you'll know now that her ex will certainly notice this.

If she knows the passwords, she'll abe able to erase all content and settings afterwards. The iPad will be removed from his iCloud account and Apple ID. You can set it up as new then. That's the theory. What really happens, when it comes to his notice, is something that we can't tell you. You will have to talk to your friend and consider what to do.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts