What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime.. how?

Reaction score
Hi yet again.

Could someone help with FaceTime? Ive seen clips on YouTub, but all do not help at the stage Im having problems with.

The stage im having problems at, is simply after pressing the blue ' +' button. I cannot see how to progress.

The clips tell me you then just tap on a particular contact, from your list (& follow my nose progress.. I could do, Im quite sure).

But I do not have a list of contacts. Nothing tells me how to have or create such a list. It says alternatively, I put in a phone number: I do this, but nothing shows me I am further on. There are two boxes at the btm of page a phone symbol, & a video symbol.. but they remain grey, not green as i see in the clips.

If I click on either grey button.. as I would expect bc they are a dead grey colour, nothing happens.

Thanks. Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Can no one help me out on a basic ipad air 2 question on here?

Really just the simplest question on Facetime.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, make sure your Apple ID shows up in Settings - FaceTime - You Can Be Reached By FaceTime At, as well as Caller ID. As you’ll see in my screenshot, it has to be checkmarked. Also, enable FaceTime in Settings - FaceTime.

0EB5BA72-F382-4B40-9F0C-5E90BB6EC434.jpeg

For more information:

OP
S
Reaction score
First of all, make sure your Apple ID shows up in Settings - FaceTime - You Can Be Reached By FaceTime At, as well as Caller ID. As you’ll see in my screenshot, it has to be checkmarked. Also, enable FaceTime in Settings - FaceTime.

View attachment 94231

For more information:
Hi there JA.

I had this checked when I got it, must have (if I had got to the "pressing blue + button" stage on Facetime). So I could see myself. But could not progress.

I managed to ask on another forum.. & by chance only, got the answer!! The reason why I was stuck is it seems I had to go to a totally different App prior to going onto the Facetime app. Nowhere even in the apple link you kindly gave (thanks) is any mention of this fundamental step ' TO DO 1st' ( briefly mentioned, is not good enough; it is nor saying its a clear step to do 1st). Not in all the youtube clips either. Absolutely ridiculous.

So for anyone trying this for the 1 st time: You have to go to CONTACTS app 1st. You have to put in a contact ((who has Facetime)) with their basic details. Then go into Facetime. If you don', Facetime will not/ cannot work.

If you havent populated the contacts list with at least one person, you are unable to use Facetime, even tho it says " you can do this a numbef of ways, type their phone number for eg" .. or "type in their email address ". This is total misinformation: repeat, Facetime will simply not work this way.

There, now Ive hopefully helped out thousands of folks. Thanks for replying JA. Schwanger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should not need a contact in the Contacts app to use FaceTime. One you press the blue + button, there should be a To: field. Entering a phone number or email address there should work. (tried this to call my iPhone from my iPad). Once you enter the number, tap return on the keyboard, then select audio or video button at the bottom.

Keep in mind that if you do not enter a FaceTime compatible number or email, the options for Video calls will be grayed out.

That in mind, it is easier to start a FaceTime call using the Contacts app. You can also initiate regular phone calls, emails, etc. from the Contacts app.

OP
S
Reaction score
You should not need a contact in the Contacts app to use FaceTime. One you press the blue + button, there should be a To: field. Entering a phone number or email address there should work. (tried this to call my iPhone from my iPad). Once you enter the number, tap return on the keyboard, then select audio or video button at the bottom.

Keep in mind that if you do not enter a FaceTime compatible number or email, the options for Video calls will be grayed out.

That in mind, it is easier to start a FaceTime call using the Contacts app. You can also initiate regular phone calls, emails, etc. from the Contacts app.
Hi twerp..

thanks for your reply. Honestly, I tried this many times before this thread created. I tried all the obvious things to do. Typed in my friends email ( i knew had established a facetime bc he tried it & said " i can see my face").. but the buttons did not go green. Nothing worked. Hit enter. Nothing. Typed in his email address in this box. Stiill the same. Green buttons a dead grey. Not work.

So the conclusion, is clear: you can only make Facetime work/ you can only get to the " green buttons " stage all set to go... only... if you have beforehand populated the Contacts list, via the Contacts app ( with of course someone who also has it, & has it set up to the basic stage I got to prior to the thread, minimum, even if the6 havent yet populated - their - contacts list: asking a 92 year old to do this, is not a feasable proposition: so I still have to hope, that the way Ive done it...... will work: still might not IF he has to populate his list via hos Contacts App beforehand: if this is correct/ also needed, then I will never be able to get Facetime working. So its still up in the air if I can be successful in doing this at all).

It might be different to yours.. I cant see how tho if i assume you also have an air2.. but it can only be the conclusion. Why this info isn't stated clearly is a mystery.

OP
S
Reaction score
P.S. The iPadOS 15 version of FaceTime replaces the + button with a much more obvious New FaceTime button. At least so far. Betas are always subject to change.
Hi

could I ask a simple q your way, as the only one who's replied bar J.A..

I have managed one Facetime call! Woohoo! Irony of ironies, made by my 92 year old friend.. to me! I think 1st helped though by me trying him unsuccessfully the day before (he had no idea what to do on hearing a ringtone) by his contacts list thing very usefully (luckily for me, & especially him) gets automatically populated with my details, once my call was attempted the day before. If i & he had had not had this automatic help.. my friend would never have been able to make this call. So well-done designers i say.

So alot of effort & trials to get to this point (designer please note this/ not such a good aspect). So i can make & rcv calls to my dear old friend, fantastic for him, if quite exhausting for me as he cannot up his volume ( someone clad his 8th gen in a thick protective case he hates, plus he can't now access his vol buttons)... so I had to bark at the screen to be heard = very tiring.

To my question. I have also bought my mum an identical 8th gen ipad. I have put her details in my contacts app thing, automatically i see transferred to the Facetime list. But unlike my old friend, i cannot call her/ it is not working with her for some reason: her details remain this dull grey signifying 'not working' whilst my old friends' details are a nice vivid blue signifying 'working'.

Have you any idea why? Thx schwangtanger.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi

could I ask a simple q your way, as the only one who's replied bar J.A..

I have managed one Facetime call! Woohoo! Irony of ironies, made by my 92 year old friend.. to me! I think 1st helped though by me trying him unsuccessfully the day before (he had no idea what to do on hearing a ringtone) by his contacts list thing very usefully (luckily for me, & especially him) gets automatically populated with my details, once my call was attempted the day before. If i & he had had not had this automatic help.. my friend would never have been able to make this call. So well-done designers i say.

So alot of effort & trials to get to this point (designer please note this/ not such a good aspect). So i can make & rcv calls to my dear old friend, fantastic for him, if quite exhausting for me as he cannot up his volume ( someone clad his 8th gen in a thick protective case he hates, plus he can't now access his vol buttons)... so I had to bark at the screen to be heard = very tiring.

To my question. I have also bought my mum an identical 8th gen ipad. I have put her details in my contacts app thing, automatically i see transferred to the Facetime list. But unlike my old friend, i cannot call her/ it is not working with her for some reason: her details remain this dull grey signifying 'not working' whilst my old friends' details are a nice vivid blue signifying 'working'.

Have you any idea why? Thx schwangtanger.

Your mother needs an Apple ID to use FaceTime. If i recall correctly, you did not set up one for her.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your mother needs an Apple ID to use FaceTime. If i recall correctly, you did not set up one for her.

hi jupiter7. Bingo! Thats the answer. No I streamlined the set up ( i set up for her & sent on you see/ she'd never have been able to).. doing away with both apple id & a turn on password, for simplicity.

ok thanks. Unfortunately that means she cannot use facetime then, as she is incapable of making an apple id, & wont let me do one for her due to general computer mistrust of anyone 'doing things' on hers.

thanks alot.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hi jupiter7. Bingo! Thats the answer. No I streamlined the set up ( i set up for her & sent on you see/ she'd never have been able to).. doing away with both apple id & a turn on password, for simplicity.

ok thanks. Unfortunately that means she cannot use facetime then, as she is incapable of making an apple id, & wont let me do one for her due to general computer mistrust of anyone 'doing things' on hers.

thanks alot.
You’re welcome!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to know what email address she used to create the Apple ID, Her old one may or may not have been used. Apple‘s setup encourages the creation of an iCloud email address. It can be avoided, but generally works better when you start using other Apple/iCloud services down the line.

Also, if you are trying to use her phone number, this will only work if she has an iPhone on the same iCloud account, and the feature has been turned on. iPads do not have the ability to receive phone calls directly.

OP
S
Reaction score
You need to know what email address she used to create the Apple ID, Her old one may or may not have been used. Apple‘s setup encourages the creation of an iCloud email address. It can be avoided, but generally works better when you start using other Apple/iCloud services down the line.

Also, if you are trying to use her phone number, this will only work if she has an iPhone on the same iCloud account, and the feature has been turned on. iPads do not have the ability to receive phone calls directly.
Hi twerppoet,

she has got herself in a pickle on old tablet, before getting ipad, making a 2nd email account called gmail ( you see this damn tablet ..think/ hope to goodness im right.. has been continuously dropping out for years, infuriating for her at her age: hence me buying new ipad: my thinking being the reason had to be the tablet if she got sent 12 yes 12! Hubs just flung out by BT each time she called to complain about the interruption, no difference each time).

So I could try putting in her other gmail address, but I think theres a seperate phone number box too.. which I put in her home phone number: this cannot be incorrect.

icloud... is waaaay over my head, I just cant understand this, let alone her to. iCloud account?? Crikey moses i have no clue if I even have this.

Thanks for reading my spiel, Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can tell if, for eg, my old friend is online?

I notice a tiny green ident spot, top RHS of facetime screen.. wondering if this signifies he is currently online?

Reason is, if you intend to make a " call ", you have no idea if they are using the ipad, so surely its a hit & miss situation if you attempt a " call".

If I could see they are using the tablet or not, even online better, then I dont need to waste time attempting a " call " if I see they've turned off the ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts