What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folder compare on iPadOS 16.2

carlcaulkett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any way to compare the contents of two folders, each with similar sub-folder structure? I’ve looked at the App Store and have found a couple of file compare apps but that seems to be it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any way to compare the contents of two folders, each with similar sub-folder structure? I’ve looked at the App Store and have found a couple of file compare apps but that seems to be it.
Hello - have you given 'Split View' a try (info HERE)? An example below on my iPad Pro (on iPadOS 16.2) - I have two Numbers databases open as shown w/ comparison between the two easily made - not sure this will solve your needs but worth a try. Dave :)
IMG_5318.PNG

OP
carlcaulkett

carlcaulkett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Dave! I did, indeed, end up using split view, with Files on the left hand side, and ES File Explorer on the right hand side. I couldn’t work out how to use two instances of Files in Split view. Any ideas if that’s possible?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Dave! I did, indeed, end up using split view, with Files on the left hand side, and ES File Explorer on the right hand side. I couldn’t work out how to use two instances of Files in Split view. Any ideas if that’s possible?
First, so all are clear, by 'Files' do you mean the OS app below? When opened, three locations are listed, i.e. 'On My iPad', 'iCloud Drive', and 'Recently Deleted' - files and app icon references are present - for my previous post, I retrieved my split view databases from the Files app where the items were store in iCloud. Please provide a clearer explanation of what you want to do - thanks. Dave :)
49598-97114-Files-app-xl.jpg

OP
carlcaulkett

carlcaulkett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did mean the iOS app. In any case, I’ve just discovered that if you long press on one of the folders you mentioned, the app gives you the choice of opening a new window, which was just what I wanted!

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did mean the iOS app. In any case, I’ve just discovered that if you long press on one of the folders you mentioned, the app gives you the choice of opening a new window, which was just what I wanted!

I really needed this also. Thanks for the info.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another way to do this is to choose Split View from the three dot menu at the center top of the app. This slides the curren app to the side letting you choose another app from the Home Screen.

Yes, you can basically open the same app twice, provided it support multiple instances of itself. Many of Apples apps do. Some third party apps work this way as well.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos is one of the Apple apps that doesn’t support multiple instances in Split View. There must be a reason, but I can’t see why, would be quite useful, anyone have an idea why that might be?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd guess it's lower on Apple's list of things to update than the other apps. The people making the decisions probably decided that side by side comparison and moving/copying is more importando in files and text based apps.

No big mystery, other than no one has the time to to everything all at once.

Or it could just be an oversight.

Most reactions

Latest posts