What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 DIY Charger

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. I used to just extend the power adapter but it gets annoying when you have a brick in the middle of the line.
2. A longer USB cable also = a longer sync cable.
3. I was bored.
4. Why buy a cable when I have extra wire? I can extend it for about $1.50. Otherwise, buying a cable for $5-$10.

Sounds good to me - I bow in the presence of a master...

Tim

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:
Is it only one rank? He has an extra battery as well :)

Master is as far as it goes. He is a mod. One rank. :D
Yes, one battery. He is better at dealing with stupid people.

If I was a mod, every stupid person who posts in the wrong section or asks how to jailbreak an iPhone would be banned. :D
Not really.

And he has over 7,000 posts. I have 2,000

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Master is as far as it goes. He is a mod. One rank. :D
Yes, one battery. He is better at dealing with stupid people.

If I was a mod, every stupid person who posts in the wrong section or asks how to jailbreak an iPhone would be banned. :D
Not really.

And he has over 7,000 posts. I have 2,000

LMFAO!!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

hulai21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you are so kind to share your experience, thanks a lot. it is really very nice.

Killerken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ultimate Home Charger for Ipads and Iphones

Timothy,
Great job!

I see that you are a EE. I was wondering if you would be willing to help me design an ultimate home charger. I am looking to build a charging dock that can handle 2 Ipads and 3 iphones.
I was going to use a AC/DC Single Output Desktop power supply for my power. I found one that will put out 5V DC & 5 Amps of power = 25 watts which I believe will be enough power to charge everything I need. I was looking at your wiring schematic and what I was thinking of doing was making 5 boards like yours each board would power its own device.
  1. Do you think this would be the best way to go about this?
  2. Would I need a voltage regulator since the power supply is already putting out 5 volts?
  3. Would you wire each of the charging boards in series or in parallel?
Thank you in advance for all your help.

OP
T

timothyb1969

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Killerken said:
Timothy,
Great job!

I see that you are a EE. I was wondering if you would be willing to help me design an ultimate home charger. I am looking to build a charging dock that can handle 2 Ipads and 3 iphones.
I was going to use a AC/DC Single Output Desktop power supply for my power. I found one that will put out 5V DC & 5 Amps of power = 25 watts which I believe will be enough power to charge everything I need. I was looking at your wiring schematic and what I was thinking of doing was making 5 boards like yours each board would power its own device.

[*]Do you think this would be the best way to go about this?
[*]Would I need a voltage regulator since the power supply is already putting out 5 volts?
[*]Would you wire each of the charging boards in series or in parallel?

I will do my best to help

First of all you are correct. Just Add up the wattage of each charger that came with each device which will give you the total needed to charge each device properly

If you you have a good regulated power supply then the voltage regulator will not be needed. Make sure it is regulated otherwise the output voltage will drop as you add more load. You want to make sure you get a good steady output voltage.

You can make individual boards or on board.

You would wire each board in parallel with each other going back to one central power supply. Actually you could create 4 output voltages once as shown in my schematic and just attach each device in parallel per the pin out.

It would be nice to do this all on one circuit board. You can buy kits to make your own circuit boards. I can help you further if you decide to go this route. It would be even better if you could find iPhone/iPhone connectors that you could solder right to your main circuit board and get a board mount power supply as well. Then just a few resistors and solder or wired traces and you are rockin.

Tim

OP
T

timothyb1969

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Killerken said:
Timothy,
Great job!

[*]Do you think this would be the best way to go about this?
[*]Would I need a voltage regulator since the power supply is already putting out 5 volts?
[*]Would you wire each of the charging boards in series or in parallel?

I can help u with the schematic once you decide how you want to proceed.

Tim

Killerken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can help u with the schematic once you decide how you want to proceed.

Tim

Tim,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have changed my design since I last wrote. I am going to make a dock system that will charge 2 iPads and 4 iPhones (Granted the iphone locations could be ipod touches, ipods, ipod nanos etc.)

I want to put everything on one circuit board for my design. I am looking at using a company like myro PCB or Express PCB to make the circuit boards for me.

I saw that you mentioned putting the power supply on the main circuit board. I don't know if I could do this since I want to run the power wire in a wall and I am looking to keep the overall docking station as thin as possible. The maximum thickness of the docking station cannot be more than 2 inches.

I like your idea of using iphone to iphone connectors but this will be allot more upfront engineering since then the circuit board will need to be as large as the complete layout. For my first version of this devise I think I am going to use usb to iphone connectors this way I can make different layouts that will esthetically look correct.

I think I found a good power supply for this project. What I was thinking of using was a TDK-Lambda DTM65PW050C that Digi Key sells. This power supply puts out 5 Volts (+/-5%), 8.0 Amps, 40 Watts. I thinks this should be more than enough power for my device. What do you think?

Question: since I am thinking about using a 8 amp power supply do we need to regulate the power going to each usb port / dock connector? I know that the Ipads draw 2 amps each, and each iphone draws 1 amp each for a total of 8 amps.

Ken
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts