What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air Button Issues

blazzing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son won an Ipad Air a little over a year ago. Couple of days ago, the digitizer screen got broken. However, everything still worked just fine. I replaced the digitizer yesterday. Charged the ipad up and then discovered that the lock and volumes buttons have stopped working. What could be the possible cause of this? I have tried many different suggestions including hard reboot using software. But no luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My son won an Ipad Air a little over a year ago. Couple of days ago, the digitizer screen got broken. However, everything still worked just fine. I replaced the digitizer yesterday. Charged the ipad up and then discovered that the lock and volumes buttons have stopped working. What could be the possible cause of this? I have tried many different suggestions including hard reboot using software.......

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some additional information: 1) How was the screen broken - assume a drop or an object hitting the glass; 2) If a drop, was anything else damaged, e.g. a corner bent; 3) Who repaired the device (you, an Apple store, or a repair shop); 4) After the repair, did the buttons mentioned above work or did they malfunction later; and 5) Do the buttons depress as expected or are they 'stuck'?

Repair of the iPad Air glass/digitizer is considered a difficult procedure in reviewing the iFixit Guide (pic below); thus, might be that the buttons mentioned were damaged or not properly oriented when the screen was replaced, just a thought. If this repair was done by Apple or a shop, did you obtain some type of warranty? I suspect that you'll have to get the iPad re-evaluated to check this issue. Good luck - Dave
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 11.58.14 AM.png

OP
B

blazzing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. On the contrary. I replaced the digitizer myself and found it to be pretty straight forward and easy. Did it in 30 minutes. May be it's because of my engineering back ground. Solution: I removed the digitizer that I had installed which was not in permanently as yet (not adhered down), unhook the delicate ribbon connector for the lock/volume buttons and simple reconnect it and buttons started to work again. Still trying to figure out why this procedure brought the buttons back to life. The connector is out of the way of where the digitizer sets in and was in no way disturbed. Nonetheless, Ipad is back to full function and I saved hundred of dollars doing the repair myself. Digitizer only cost $17 plus free shipping. Thanks for responding Dave.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update. On the contrary. I replaced the digitizer myself and found it to be pretty straight forward and easy. Did it in 30 minutes. May be it's because of my engineering back ground. Solution: .........

Great and congrats! :) Maybe you should write a 'new' guide for the iFixit website - Dave :cool:

OP
B

blazzing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Final note. I would also advise that when purchasing a digitizer, purchase it with the home button installed. Saves you a lot of aggravation.

Most reactions

Latest posts