What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LAN Scanner and guard

Reaction score
Hello,

is any app here on App Store to monitor LAN, for example: when someone joins my LAN, I will get notification on iPad.

THX

Lukas

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
........is any app here on App Store to monitor LAN, for example: when someone joins my LAN, I will get notification on iPad.

Hi Lukas - there are many LAN scanning apps in the APP store - just put 'Lan scanner' in the search window for plenty of hits, some free and others at a nominal fee.

For myself, I have 3 on my iPad (shown below in the first image) - just scanned my home LAN w/ each one, shown in the next three images - I've hid my SSID and also the MAC addresses of the devices on my network. Each of these apps has other features - NOW, don't believe that any can notify you if the number of users/items on your LAN changes, but I've not explored then thoroughly. For me to see if the list had changed, I would need to re-scan w/ each one.

So, check out the App Store, read the reviews, and download a few - make sure that the versions offered are up to date - good luck and let us know if this is what you are wanting - if not, ask some more questions. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 11.56.33 AM.png
Fing.PNG
JaNetHD.PNG
NetAnalyzer.PNG

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have, and occationally use, the first to apps Giradman mentions; Fing, and JaNet. Neither of them will notify you, because they can not operate in the background. I don't know of any network monitoring app that can run in the background. I don't think Apple's rules allow for it.

Check the manual for your wi-fi router. Those sometimes have email-notification features.

Routers also have MAC autorization tables (probably not the correct name). These can be used to allow or deny specific computers. It's spoofable, but not casually.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Routers also have MAC autorization tables (probably not the correct name). These can be used to allow or deny specific computers. It's spoofable, but not casually.

Yes, called MAC Filtering - w/ my first routers (before WPA matured), I used MAC filtering which just involved entering the MAC addresses of devices to permit their access to the network (i.e. if not on the list, then not let in - but as stated by TP could be spoofed).

Our OP has not returned yet, and I'm not sure what his exact situation may be in wanting to 'track' those on his network (e.g. home, business, bandwidth stealing)? Probably the easiest way to keep devices off his network is to setup a strong WPA2 password - believe we just need some more specific information. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was reviewing Network Apps in iTunes and decided to try a new one called Network Toolbox, shown below on iTunes - a universal app priced at $8.99 and developed in Germany by Marcus Roskosch. Marcus has written a nice manual which can be viewed HERE, and also downloaded as a PDF - I perused the manual and made a purchase, despite the cost.

The number of features is astounding (see the second image below) - many I will not use, but some may be crucial to others? The reviews in iTunes and on his website are virtually all highly positive - instead of spending smaller amounts of money of several similar but more limited app,s Network Toolbox is worth a look and may be the 'Swiss Army Knife' of networking on an iOS device?

I also exchanged several emails w/ Marcus - first, this is a universal app and looks great on my iPad Air 2; second, a new version is about to be released; and third, the current version runs in iOS 10 beta, although several features may be problematic, in part related to Apple's change in the operating system w/ more restrictions on developers.

P.S. I have MUCH more to explore w/ this app, and have no personal or financial relationship to the developer - just posted FIY - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.10.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.11.19 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts