What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor electric shock/tingle form my ipad 4th gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, have been visiting this forum for a while now but this is my first post. I'm having an issue with my new ipad. It's a 4th gen 16gb wifi. Having upgraded form an ipad 2 I must say I'm impressed! Screen is really nice to look at and It's a massive step up performance wise. The problem I have is, I'm getting a mild shock/tingling sensation whilst charging the device, any time I touch the back. It's not isolated to one area it's all over. It only happens when it's on charge. It's not a big deal but a little worrying as I have not encountered anything like this before with an apple device...or any device for
that matter. I know this is not the norm so was wondering if any of you
guys have come across anything like the before? And what you would recommend I do next? I have apple support
booked in to call me tomorrow afternoon so hopefully they can shine some light on the issue. Also i have noticed slight
Glitching in the app store while browing previously purchased apps and downloading an app ( if that makes sence) has
anyone else noticed that? again this is no big deal I'm more concerned about the charging issue. Apart from that I am
really
happy with my ipad just a shame I have this problem!

Dan.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A minor shock to you could be devastating to the innards of your iPad. Time for a trip to the Genius Bar, I think

Welcome to iPF.

We are a multinational group sharing an interest in Apple products, particularly the various iPad models. Although we have no affiliation with the company, we have many members who are extremely knowledgable on various aspects of the products.

Whether you have one question or comment, or have longer-term aims, you are welcome to join us.

Here are some useful links:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

Here's where to get the free forum app for easier browsing of the threads.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html

Contains a huge amount of information which you may find useful.

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/29728-anything-goes-thread.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/57514-what-you-guys-doing-right-now.html

Where you can meet some of our members and find out what everyone is talking about. Don't be shy. Join the party.

Here's a link to the rules, so you can see what's allowed and what's not.

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Remember the last rule above all. HAVE FUN.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
D

Danny102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the info! Kinda guessed a trip to the apple store was on the cards just thinking I would check elsewhere for now as I cant
get there till the weekend :) I have seen people posting from the iPF app so will go grab that now. Will update with my progress after
chating to the Genius Bar I hope they will replace it have not been before, have never had any issues in the before! iPhones , pods and
IPads I have had in the past have just worked ;)

Dan

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all, have been visiting this forum for a while now but this is my first post. I'm having an issue with my new ipad. It's a 4th gen 16gb wifi. Having upgraded form an ipad 2 I must say I'm impressed! Screen is really nice to look at and It's a massive step up performance wise. The problem I have is, I'm getting a mild shock/tingling sensation whilst charging the device, any time I touch the back. It's not isolated to one area it's all over. It only happens when it's on charge. It's not a big deal but a little worrying as I have not encountered anything like this before with an apple device...or any device for
guys have come across anything like the before? And what you would recommend I do next? I have apple support
booked in to call me tomorrow afternoon so hopefully they can shine some light on the issue. Also i have noticed slight
Glitching in the app store while browing previously purchased apps and downloading an app ( if that makes sence) has
anyone else noticed that? again this is no big deal I'm more concerned about the charging issue. Apart from that I am
really

Dan.

That just doesn't make any sense.......
The iPad charges using 5Vdc......this can not shock you at all.

You sure the metal back is not touching something else when it's connected to the lightning connector?
Just speculating.......Not sure how the retina display works but I wonder if they boost the voltage to some much higher value for the display......maybe there is some sort of internal short that only shows up when plugged in?

I think a warranty exchange is in your future.

OP
D

Danny102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe, I spoke to apple support this afternoon and the chap on the phone said it was normal and some people are more sensitive to it then others. I'm not so sure he's calling me back this evening as I ran out of time at lunch. Will let you know the final outcome.

Dan

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it winter there? Do you have carpet? Sounds like simple electrostatic discharge to me. It get is a lot in my home office...lots of electrical connections in there doesn't make it any better. Advice: get a grounding strap or pad and discharge to that before touching your ipad.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
really

Dan.
this is quite common,i have had the same thing,i eliminated the problem by using the cable from my Macbook pro while charging,i got a spare cable from Apple,i can promise you this will resolve this issue.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What the op describes does not sound like simple static electricity to me......
He says it only happens when plugged in and is more than a one time shot.....mild tingling all over the back area.

"This is normal"......I would have an issue with that if I was getting shocked by a device you hold in your hands and operate.
That's a ridiculous answer IMHO.

Mine does not do this at all and it's the first I've heard of this on this forum, so it's not "normal".

If it was me, I'd make them find a solution and/or exchange for another unit.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What the op describes does not sound like simple static electricity to me......
He says it only happens when plugged in and is more than a one time shot.....mild tingling all over the back area.

"This is normal"......I would have an issue with that if I was getting shocked by a device you hold in your hands and operate.
That's a ridiculous answer IMHO.

Mine does not do this at all and it's the first I've heard of this on this forum, so it's not "normal".

If it was me, I'd make them find a solution and/or exchange for another unit.

First off, you have no business calling the answers of others ridiculous. You aren't there, you don't know what is going on. And how can you demand that apple find a solution for something that may actually not have anything to do with the ipad?

Second, people use different words to describe similar events. You or I can not be sure what the OP is experiencing.

If the metal back is exposed, it indeed can be simple electrostatic discharge. It's the simplest way to get large potential differences in the area. And in many parts of the world this is the time of the year when this problem increases. It could be prevented or lessened by using a case or grounding oneself. Failing that, it could be indicative of an improper ground in the environment where that iPad is being charged. Yet, we have zero info on that. The op would do well to experiment with charging location, what the charger is plugged into, and not dragging those feet when walking across the floor.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First off, you have no business calling the answers of others ridiculous. You aren't there, you don't know what is going on. And how can you demand that apple find a solution for something that may actually not have anything to do with the ipad?

Second, people use different words to describe similar events. You or I can not be sure what the OP is experiencing.

If the metal back is exposed, it indeed can be simple electrostatic discharge. It's the simplest way to get large potential differences in the area. And in many parts of the world this is the time of the year when this problem increases. It could be prevented or lessened by using a case or grounding oneself. Failing that, it could be indicative of an improper ground in the environment where that iPad is being charged. Yet, we have zero info on that. The op would do well to experiment with charging location, what the charger is plugged into, and not dragging those feet when walking across the floor.

I'm getting a mild shock/tingling sensation whilst charging the device, any time I touch the back. It's not isolated to one area it's all over. It only happens when it's on charge

Maybe, I spoke to apple support this afternoon and the chap on the phone said it was normal Dan

Holy smokes.....simmer down a bit ha? :eek:

First, I responded to what the Apple support person said, not a what a member on this forum said! I never called an answer from a member ridiculious.

Second, if it's a consumer device and a person is using it as intended and is getting shocked, it's a ridiculous answer from Apple support IMHO.
They have not even looked at the device and say it's normal?

Third, what the op describes does not sound at all like static electricity to me......by his very own description, it sounds like it is a continual mild shock. Static electricity is a one time thing with a discharge of a built-up charge either on the device or the person touching the device, it is then released. It will not occur again until the charge is built up again, like walking over carpet, etc in a very dry environment.
Also, if it was static electricity it would not matter if it was plugged into a 5vdc power supply or not.
btw - "improper ground in the environment where that iPad is being charged".....the iPad charger itself does not use a ground terminal, it's 2-prong isolated charger.

This unit obviously needs to go back to Apple and have them investigate the issue...........unless they can attribute it to something the owner is doing negligently, they need to provide a resolution.

Last edited:
OP
D

Danny102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, it response to the above posts it's not a static like shock it is tingling/mild vibrating like sensation and constant when on charge, it does it when
Plugged into different sockets so can rule that out. It does how ever stop when I use my lightning cable in conjunction with my iPhone
charger so I'm thinking its an issue with power supply that came with the ipad. I'm under the impression that the iPhone charger is not as powerful as the iPad charger, but not 100% on this. It's does seem to take longer to charge (maybe its in my head ) but havent really had time to experiment I plan to
Take it to an apple store Sunday so I will see what they say as I would like to use the charger that came with it! When I ordered my iPad I ordered one for my girl friend for a Christmas present tempted to open it and try her charger out lol but I doubt that will go down well off to apple at the weekend! For the record it looks like you guys know your stuff when it comes to iPads so thanks for the advice and look forward to being part of the community.

Dan

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The advice i gave solves the problem,i know this for a fact,it solved mine,what is described is what i had,my unit was changed for another one and the second one was the same.

OP
D

Danny102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
The advice i gave solves the problem,i know this for a fact,it solved mine,what is described is what i had,my unit was changed for another one and the second one was the same.

Ok thanks for the info! will give that a try

Dan

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, it response to the above posts it's not a static like shock it is tingling/mild vibrating like sensation and constant when on charge, it does it when
Plugged into different sockets so can rule that out. It does how ever stop when I use my lightning cable in conjunction with my iPhone
charger so I'm thinking its an issue with power supply that came with the ipad. I'm under the impression that the iPhone charger is not as powerful as the iPad charger, but not 100% on this. It's does seem to take longer to charge (maybe its in my head ) but havent really had time to experiment I plan to
Take it to an apple store Sunday so I will see what they say as I would like to use the charger that came with it! When I ordered my iPad I ordered one for my girl friend for a Christmas present tempted to open it and try her charger out lol but I doubt that will go down well  off to apple at the weekend! For the record it looks like you guys know your stuff when it comes to iPads so thanks for the advice and look forward to being part of the community.

Dan

Thanks much for the additional information. :thumbs:
The iPad 4 charger is a 12W charger (2.4 Amps) and is the biggest they make for the iPad.
I believe the iPhone charger is only 5W (1 Amp).

Please let us know what Apple has to say about the issue.

Last edited:

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poisonivy said:

Hi Dan the advice poisonivy gave is good advice in particular because she is using the same voltage. Over here in Canada/USA we only use 110v you guys are on 240v so you may be feeling a cycle vibration. I don't think you are feeling 'electrical current' but just a slight vibration in the case of the iPad while charging. Right now, according to the Daily Mail on line, there is no way it's static 'cause you guys are drenched with rain and 100% humidity. Got any latex gloves? Put one on and touch your iPad while it's charging, same feeling=vibration. Or you could use a AVR meter and test the case for voltage - you won't find any. Let us know the outcome please, regardless. That is how the learning curve flourishes here.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts