What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No SIMM Card Warning Message

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my iPad Pro, I cleared out my old iPad 2, pulled the SIMM card, and gave it to my sister. She doesn't wish to use the cellular and has no SIMM card to put in it. Every time she resets the iPad or powers it down and back up, she is presented with a "No SIMM Card" warning. I there any way to suppress this annoying
message?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that you can simply put any sim card in - the correct size, obviously. No need to activate, so get a free one from wherever suitable.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think that you can simply put any sim card in - the correct size, obviously. No need to activate, so get a free one from wherever suitable.

My wife has an iPhone 6 and I have my MP3 music on an old second generation iPod Touch (stuck on iOS 4.x) - I'd like to upgrade her to an iPhone 8 (we use Verizon), and then use her old phone as my 'new' glorified iPod Touch (plus she has 4X the storage, so I could add a LOT more music!) - however, after reading several 'google hits' on the topic, including HERE, I'm still somewhat confused, i.e. several of the references state that the phone needs to be plugged into a computer and activated w/ a SIM card in the device (some confusion whether the card needs to come from the cellular service used previously) - also, I would want to pretty much restore her old phone to factory settings w/ a newly installed iOS as if I were going to sell the device.

Thus, my plan would be to sign the phone out of iCloud, disable 'Find my phone', erase all contents - then activate the phone attached to iTunes w/ a SIM card in place - questions then would be: 1) Do I need a Verizon card; and 2) Does the card need to left in the now converted phone -> iPod to avoid generating the message discussed by the OP? Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could you try putting the iPhone into airplane mode: remove the sim and see what happens - or even put in another sim in? If I understand you correctly and it works, does this not effectively do what you want? (Cannot suggest how your wife may react to such tests....)

(My wife, especially, is really pleased with her 8; I joke about her being like a teenager with it to hand all the time! But then perhaps I am no better with my 8)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife has an iPhone 6 and I have my MP3 music on an old second generation iPod Touch (stuck on iOS 4.x) - I'd like to upgrade her to an iPhone 8 (we use Verizon), and then use her old phone as my 'new' glorified iPod Touch (plus she has 4X the storage, so I could add a LOT more music!) - however, after reading several 'google hits' on the topic, including HERE, I'm still somewhat confused, i.e. several of the references state that the phone needs to be plugged into a computer and activated w/ a SIM card in the device (some confusion whether the card needs to come from the cellular service used previously) - also, I would want to pretty much restore her old phone to factory settings w/ a newly installed iOS as if I were going to sell the device.

Thus, my plan would be to sign the phone out of iCloud, disable 'Find my phone', erase all contents - then activate the phone attached to iTunes w/ a SIM card in place - questions then would be: 1) Do I need a Verizon card; and 2) Does the card need to left in the now converted phone -> iPod to avoid generating the message discussed by the OP? Thanks for any comments - Dave :)
A SIM card has to be in the holder to activate the iPhone. If the iPhone is locked to a carrier then the SIM card has to be from that carrier. The SIM card does not have to be activated, it just has to be in the holder. You don't have to be connected to a computer and you can remove the SIM card after activating the iPhone. Hang on to it though as you'll need it to activate the iPhone agin if you ever have to restore it.
If the SIM card is not in the activated iphone you'll get the no SIM card pop up whenever you turn on the iPhone after turning it off.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could you try putting the iPhone into airplane mode: remove the sim and see what happens - or even put in another sim in? If I understand you correctly and it works, does this not effectively do what you want? (Cannot suggest how your wife may react to such tests....) (My wife, especially, is really pleased with her 8; I joke about her being like a teenager with it to hand all the time! But then perhaps I am no better with my 8)

Hi NSq...... - well, we've not even looked at the iPhone 8 models yet (will try to talk her into the larger one which might be an effort - ;)) - so until we get her a new one and I transfer her current backup, not really ready to fuss around w/ the SIM card in her current phone - hope that you understand and thanks for the advice.

A SIM card has to be in the holder to activate the iPhone. If the iPhone is locked to a carrier then the SIM card has to be from that carrier. The SIM card does not have to be activated, it just has to be in the holder. You don't have to be connected to a computer and you can remove the SIM card after activating the iPhone. Hang on to it though as you'll need it to activate the iPhone agin if you ever have to restore it.
If the SIM card is not in the activated iphone you'll get the no SIM card pop up whenever you turn on the iPhone after turning it off.

Thanks Scifan.. - now I have a better understanding - don't deal w/ SIM cards much at all - my 'dumb phone' still serves my minimal retired needs - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts