What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great explanation of everything. I've been using the Iomega ix2-200 personal cloud now for a couple of months. It has a free app that allows you to stream content as well as upload and sync photos and contacts. Works well enough but the app could be better. Also free windows and Mac clients which work better than the app.

It seems to be very similar in function to what you have set up. I would only caution you that you can play with security settings on these things to the point that you can inadvertently open up anyone on the Internet to be able to view or even modify your documents. If you read directions, follow guidelines and test every setting then you should be alright.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel. Thanks for posting this - very interesting. I've idly looked at the WD Live drives but couldn't really figure out how they'd fit into my existing Home server/Time Capsule/AppleTV/iTunes Home Sharing setup - sounds like they fit in just fine! It is irritating that iDevices can't access files stored on a Time Capsule directly, and although iTunes Home Sharing gets around this well enough at home, it's no solution for when you're away.

So thanks again - something else to play with ;)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I could easily give you an access code and you could access my personal cloud in Australia, that's the point, for your family you don't need one each (although you could set up areas for each family member which only they can access) as it works like any other cloud.......except in this case it's your cloud to do what you want with, one payment only to by the live box.

The Archangel

Ok now I'm confused the live box enables you to watch on your TV's via Apple TV, is that right. Is this live box something you need to pay by the month or is that only if you want YouTube or radio too.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, this is the best thread ever, not only everything is explained clearly but the potential to have cloud based storage at home is just astounding. Gab, can i ask you, your particular WD storage, is it solid state disk (ssd/flash) or is it a 7200 rpm spinning hd with fan cooling?

RIP Steve Jobs 

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Ok now I'm confused the live box enables you to watch on your TV's via Apple TV, is that right. Is this live box something you need to pay by the month or is that only if you want YouTube or radio too.

Hmm, I think I confused you!

Ok, 3 things here.....

1) WD 1TB My Book Live - this is my personal cloud, I can save to this, download from it and stream from it from anywhere in the known universe that has an Internet connection.

2) WD TV Live - this will read all of my drives (including the one above) and will play all stored movies on my TV, no other equipment required, it also has access to a number of online services such as BBC iPlayer. There are Apps for this to enable control by my iPad.

3 Apple TV - I can mirror to this from my iPad and play anything in iTunes along with a number of online services.

Hopefully that clarifies it but feel free to ask more questions.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Wow, this is the best thread ever, not only everything is explained clearly but the potential to have cloud based storage at home is just astounding. Gab, can i ask you, your particular WD storage, is it solid state disk (ssd/flash) or is it a 7200 rpm spinning hd with fan cooling?

RIP Steve Jobs 

It's not SSD, it's an old fashioned spinning disk but, bearing in mind that it sits about 8' away from me, I have not heard a single noise from it. I would say that it is as quiet as a mouse but if there were a mouse here its breath would drown out the WD My Book!

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
petermillard said:
Gabriel. Thanks for posting this - very interesting. I've idly looked at the WD Live drives but couldn't really figure out how they'd fit into my existing Home server/Time Capsule/AppleTV/iTunes Home Sharing setup - sounds like they fit in just fine! It is irritating that iDevices can't access files stored on a Time Capsule directly, and although iTunes Home Sharing gets around this well enough at home, it's no solution for when you're away.

So thanks again - something else to play with ;)

Personally I don't mind that I can't access the Time Capsule directly from my iPad but then I'm a bit over the top when it comes to back ups, so this is the only thing I use the TC for. Although, I suppose it's strange that a third party hasn't written an app for it.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
Great explanation of everything. I've been using the Iomega ix2-200 personal cloud now for a couple of months. It has a free app that allows you to stream content as well as upload and sync photos and contacts. Works well enough but the app could be better. Also free windows and Mac clients which work better than the app.

It seems to be very similar in function to what you have set up. I would only caution you that you can play with security settings on these things to the point that you can inadvertently open up anyone on the Internet to be able to view or even modify your documents. If you read directions, follow guidelines and test every setting then you should be alright.

I hear what you say about security and I'm no expert in that field. At the moment everything here sits behind a firewall, my network is password protected and the WD My Book Live requires a 9 digit access code to get into it. Rather than a password which wouldn't change, the WD software generates a random 9 digit code for every device/app that connects to it. So I'm fairly comfortable but I should really do some more reading on security!

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a thing called a pogoplug series4. It hangs on a port of a switch that is connected to my router. Using an app from the app store, I can access my cloud from the Internet. I currently have a 250gb drive hanging off it. I can hang USB 3.0 and Sata drives off it. I streamed a movie to my phone from it this morning while a work (just to see if it would work). Personal cloud rocks.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I have a thing called a pogoplug series4. It hangs on a port of a switch that is connected to my router. Using an app from the app store, I can access my cloud from the Internet. I currently have a 250gb drive hanging off it. I can hang USB 3.0 and Sata drives off it. I streamed a movie to my phone from it this morning while a work (just to see if it would work). Personal cloud rocks.

I think that if more folks knew how easy it is to set up then they would do it themselves. I have seen many people questioning how much we can trust the cloud providers or security and even if they will still be there next year......this takes that question away.

The Archangel

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once i get an apple computer i will do a personal icloud like you gab, with the current laptop, no way

RIP Steve Jobs 

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And guess who will be helping us get started? Our best mate - Gabriel1.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I move to a complete solution I had to think about both streaming large files that require large bandwidth and those occasions when Internet access isn't available. At present the options are limited, most devices are a one way only deal (save to iPad but not from iPad to storage media) and also have no expansion options. To this end I have just placed an order for one of these http://www.hypershop.com/CloudFTP-p/cftp-black.htm

I have been waiting for them to become available in the UK and I just found it on Amazon so that buy button just had to be pressed!

This will allow me to connect all of my current USB compatible storage media, flash drives, ext HD's and read and write to them.

As soon as I receive it I will post my thoughts on it.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Goody! I will definitely by watching out for your feedback.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts