What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeing Filenames in the Photos App

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Snapseed to edit some photos. Sometimes the edited photo looks very much like the original and the thumbnails look even more alike.

Is there a way for the Photos app, or is there a different photo displaying app, that will show the filenames along with the photos?

--Larry

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, not unless you jailbreak or something. iOS doesn't do filenames.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Larry - welcome to the forum! :)

I feel your frustration - I have about a half dozen photo apps on my iPad 2 and none really satisfies - unfortunately, the native Photo App on a standard iPad does not offer the feature of labeling your photos; although not used much, another app on my device is Photo-Sort - your images can be named but the reviews of this program have been mediocre, but a consideration; now, there may be other apps out there and hopefully others will comment - Dave :)

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying out some photo editing with Snapseed. I noticed that it will show the filename of a file you select to edit. I have some photos that I brought into the iPad Photos app by fetching them off of the SD card from my camera. Snapseed shows the actual filename assigned by the camera. When I edit a photo Snapseed seems to create a filename for the editied photo - something along the lines of IMG_nnnnnn.JPG I also discovered that if I send the photos to Dropbox they display with a totally different name - something like the date and time (all spelled out) followed by .jpg

If I could just see the filename when viewing the thumbnails in the Photos app, it would help a lot. The fact that the edited photos show up in a album called Snapseed helps differentiate them from the originals, which are typically from some other album. But then I edited a photo in the Snapseed album. Confusion abounds. And when you display all the photos as once, rather than album by album, confusion abounds again.

Well, maybe I will someday figure out how to keep things straight without filenames.

--Larry

Ed C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try "Documents 5". It does exactly what I wanted, and does not require photos to be re-imported to the app.

Most reactions

Latest posts