What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Formulas in Numbers

awsmsrv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here & new to the new iPad. I tried to search for an answer to creating a formula for time on the hour. I'm used to Excel where you'd enter the hour in 2 cells then select & drag & the time would increment itself. Is there a similar way to do this in Numbers? Thanks.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
awsmsrv said:
Hi. I'm new here & new to the new iPad. I tried to search for an answer to creating a formula for time on the hour. I'm used to Excel where you'd enter the hour in 2 cells then select & drag & the time would increment itself. Is there a similar way to do this in Numbers? Thanks.

I have experience with excel formulas but I'm unsure as to what you're asking, if you can specify them I may be able to help.

The iDevice Guru

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
I have experience with excel formulas but I'm unsure as to what you're asking, if you can specify them I may be able to help.

The iDevice Guru

What he means is........

If you put a 1 in cell A1 then a 2 in cell A2, select both cells and drag down it will automatically fill the cells below with 3 4 5 etc.

In Excel this feature works with numbers, dates etc.

It is not so much a formula as an auto fill feature (I am an Excel formula expert LOL)

Unfortunately I don't have Numbers on my iPad to check it and at £7 and reading the reviews I doubt I will be downloading it any time soon.

Darkangelwitch (Surrey) Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A

awsmsrv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What he means is........

If you put a 1 in cell A1 then a 2 in cell A2, select both cells and drag down it will automatically fill the cells below with 3 4 5 etc.

In Excel this feature works with numbers, dates etc.

It is not so much a formula as an auto fill feature (I am an Excel formula expert LOL)

Unfortunately I don't have Numbers on my iPad to check it and at £7 and reading the reviews I doubt I will be downloading it any time soon.

That is correct. I realize it is actually auto-fill, but, let's say I want to increment time by 90 minutes from 8:00 am through 7:00 pm without typing in every cell. A formula could be made for the second cell & then just copy & paste. Can it be done? Thanks.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Auto fill works with letters say A-Z or Mon-Sun
And dates but not numbers or time.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try this, not sure if it will work but worth a go.

In cell A1 put in a time I.e. 4:00

In cell A2 do a formula

=A1+0.035

You will have to play with the decimal value to see how much time it adds on.

Once you know what decimal value you need say to add 15 mins each time you can then copy the formula downwards.

Let me know if this work, it does on Excel if you want to increment time by minutes so hopefully it will work in numbers too.

OP
A

awsmsrv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Darkangelwitch, thank you very much. I don't know how you came up with a number, but, instead of .035, which incremented by 50 minutes, .0417 does the trick (for 1 hour increments).

Last edited:

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hehehe I was trying out formulas at work today just so I could try and help with this question. My boss asked what I was up to and when I told him he laughed thank goodness.

Most reactions

Latest posts