What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to download files > 2 MG

jjbean50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stops downloading files with message: Can't download files. Sometimes it stops after 1.2 MG, other times after downloading 2.x MG. Am I the only one with this problem?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jjbean50 - welcome to the forum! :)

You really need to provide some more information: 1) What kind of file are your trying to download to the iPad (e.g. PDF, Image, or other?); 2) Where is the location of this file?; 3) Into what iPad app are you trying to bring the file into?; and 4) How are your attempting this download, i.e. cabled via iTunes or wireless? Answers to these questions would be useful.

OP
J

jjbean50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Giradman for your response. These are any kind of attachment files pps, mov,wav,ppf that exceed maybe 2-7 MG's. Received using AOL email system. What do you think?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Jjbean50 - I'm assuming that you are using the native mail app on the iPad to bring in your AOL emails and that your mail account is setup correctly on the device, i.e. regular emails or those w/ smaller size files come in fine - correct? I use Yahoo, so cannot comment on AOL as to any limitations of attachment size - is that a potential issue - just asking?

On my laptop, I opened Yahoo mail and attached 2 5MB files (*.pdf) to a message to myself - the email was brought into my iPad2's mail app w/ the attachments - I had no problem in opening them either w/i the app or in other options, such as GoodReader.

If not already done, when I have a misbehaving app(s), I will go through the steps quoted below initially - this often corrects a problem(s), is quick & simple, and does no harm to your iPad - please give those steps a try and post back if still having an issue; and hopefully others who use AOL will 'chime in' w/ their advice - good luck!

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
J

jjbean50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hooray for Giradman!!! You were on the right track. It was the AOL mail app that came loaded in the ipad. Yesterday I tried downloading my attachments using www.aol.com and it worked fine. When I read your response this morning I tried the FORCE/CLOSE procedure you mentioned, WHALA, all files are loading now. Thanks a lot for your help, grateful in Florida. Jjbean50

Last edited:
OP
J

jjbean50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi again Jjbean50 - I'm assuming that you are using the native mail app on the iPad to bring in your AOL emails and that your mail account is setup correctly on the device, i.e. regular emails or those w/ smaller size files come in fine - correct? I use Yahoo, so cannot comment on AOL as to any limitations of attachment size - is that a potential issue - just asking?

On my laptop, I opened Yahoo mail and attached 2 5MB files (*.pdf) to a message to myself - the email was brought into my iPad2's mail app w/ the attachments - I had no problem in opening them either w/i the app or in other options, such as GoodReader.

If not already done, when I have a misbehaving app(s), I will go through the steps quoted below initially - this often corrects a problem(s), is quick & simple, and does no harm to your iPad - please give those steps a try and post back if still having an issue; and hopefully others who use AOL will 'chime in' w/ their advice - good luck!

Hooray for Giradman!!!

You were on the right track. It was the AOL mail app that came loaded in the ipad. Yesterday I tried downloading my attachments using www.aol.com and it worked fine. When I read your response this morning I tried the FORCE/CLOSE procedure you mentioned, WHALA, all files are loading now.

Thanks a lot for your help, grateful in Florida.

Jjbean50

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GREAT! Glad the problem had a simple (and oft responsible) solution - just post back if further problems develop! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts