What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Used iPad Model to buy...

mmitsch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our daughter wants us to buy a used iPad for her daughter (who is 3 and will mainly watch kids stuff or do simple educaional things on it).

I am wondering if someone can suggest which older model I should look for that will work will, be somewhat usable with Apple upgrades, wireless, apps, etc. and is known as pretty reliable?

If you have any suggested sources too it'd be great (eBay?, Mercari?, etc.).

Appreciate your help and advice...

Hello - you might want to provide us some guidance, e.g. how much do you want to spend, do you need both cellular and Wi-Fi (the latter only being cheaper), and do you want an upgradeable iPadOS or an older one (again cheaper) - in all honestly remembering my son at 3 y/o, not sure I would have trusted him with an iPad (fortunately the device did not exist that long back - :cool:).

But for starters, the Apple Refurb Store would be a top suggestion (description below) but usually 'newer' models are offered and certainly not the cheapest route; Gazelle is another consideration (I've sold iDevices to them in the past) - better pricing and older less expensive models which I would probably be thinking about; check local 'big box' stores such as Best Buy - of course, eBay will have have a lot of offerings but? Good luck and post back answers to my questions - might help others provide comments. Dave :)

What goes into a refurbished iPad.​

High-quality materials and components in a refurbished iPad reduce its impact on the environment. All refurbished iPad models come with a new battery, a new outer shell, a one-year limited warranty, and free delivery and returns.

Hello - you might want to provide us some guidance, e.g. how much do you want to spend, do you need both cellular and Wi-Fi (the latter only being cheaper), and do you want an upgradeable iPadOS or an older one (again cheaper) - in all honestly remembering my son at 3 y/o, not sure I would have trusted him with an iPad (fortunately the device did not exist that long back - :cool:).

But for starters, the Apple Refurb Store would be a top suggestion (description below) but usually 'newer' models are offered and certainly not the cheapest route; Gazelle is another consideration (I've sold iDevices to them in the past) - better pricing and older less expensive models which I would probably be thinking about; check local 'big box' stores such as Best Buy - of course, eBay will have have a lot of offerings but? Good luck and post back answers to my questions - might help others provide comments. Dave :)
Hello Dave, and thank you for getting back to me! I'd like to spend around $50~$100 and I don't need cellular. An older OS would be ok too - as long as it's not so outdated that the kids can't use it. I have an iPad 1 that works great but most apps don't work on it -- keep it for sentimental purpose....

I'll look at the refurb / Gazelle places too.

My daughter texted me that the kids would probably watching stuff on Amazon, playing kids games / shows. If that helps.

Thanks!

Mike

Hello Dave, and thank you for getting back to me! I'd like to spend around $50~$100 and I don't need cellular. An older OS would be ok too - as long as it's not so outdated that the kids can't use it. I have an iPad 1 that works great but most apps don't work on it -- keep it for sentimental purpose....

I'll look at the refurb / Gazelle places too.

My daughter texted me that the kids would probably watching stuff on Amazon, playing kids games / shows. If that helps.

Thanks!

Mike
Hi Mike - thanks for responding - your price range is likely too low, i.e. maybe twice that amount - first, does your daughter have Wi-Fi at home so an iPad can connect? If so, then an Apple refurb is likely out of your price range - so I'd first suggest looking at Gazelle - the iPad Minis seem cheaper than the larger screen iPads - so you need to make a decision on 'screen size' (my wife has used a Mini for years and loves it!) - just trying to 'narrow down' your options. Dave :)

Hi Mike - thanks for responding - your price range is likely too low, i.e. maybe twice that amount - first, does your daughter have Wi-Fi at home so an iPad can connect? If so, then an Apple refurb is likely out of your price range - so I'd first suggest looking at Gazelle - the iPad Minis seem cheaper than the larger screen iPads - so you need to make a decision on 'screen size' (my wife has used a Mini for years and loves it!) - just trying to 'narrow down' your options. Dave :)
Hi Dave. Yes, she has WiFi. I’m just a little lost on which model I should look for as there’s a few releases. And I’ll look for the mini as you suggested.

Is there any certain generation to look for?

Thanks!

Hi Dave. Yes, she has WiFi. I’m just a little lost on which model I should look for as there’s a few releases. And I’ll look for the mini as you suggested.

Is there any certain generation to look for?
Hi again Mike - impossible for me to make any specific recommendation, just too many variables - but if you're decided on the Mini, my wife has owned the Mini 2, 4, & now the 6 models, all have been fine for her needs and she likes the smaller screen (probably a good choice for a 3 y/o too IMO).

If you are going for Wi-Fi only, I would suggest at least 32 GB of storage - color may not be much of a choice in a used model; first pic below are Minis currently on sale at Gazelle (you can do an online chat, e.g. might want to discuss warranty and battery status - Apple replaces batteries in their refurbs); some there are in your price range.

Another issue is whether you want to do current iPadOS upgrades/updates or will be happy with a model that can no longer be upgraded - the second pic shows the 'final' iPadOS of each model. If you have a local Apple or Best Buy (an authorized Apple dealer), you might want to visit and look at used models and possibly buy one? Good luck - Dave

ADDENDUM: A newer model is also likely your best choice, if the price is right. Just an example, many apps including games may require a more recent iPadOS to run, so I'd probably recommend at least a Mini 4 which goes up to iPadOS 15.

Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 10.21.31 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 10.28.08 AM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back